The Student Room Group

If I fail uni first year and leave, will future unis reject me because of thi?

I’m really unhappy on my university course, I am direct entry to second year at University of Edinburgh, so it’s still my first year here. Anyway, I realised that I’ve made a mistake and have no motivation to do the work. I’m considering dropping out as I know I’m going to fail some assignments due in a couple of days as I haven’t done much work. I think I need a year out and break from uni. I don’t want to do the resits for my current course and waste anymore money. I’m anxious about leaving but think it will be the best for me to save up some money- I am very concerned about how I will have no social life when I go back home as I didn’t have one back there before I went to uni so I’m worried I’ll get depressed about that but I also don’t want to ruin my future by pursuing a degree/ career I don’t feel passionate about. Anyway, if I do fail/ get awful grades at my current uni will future unis reject me because of this? I will explain if they ask why I left that I realised the course and university was wrong for me and that’s why I took some time out to reconsider everything. Just worried that a uni I wished I chosen, that accepted me last year, would not be out off by my failure here.

Thanks
Reply 1
Put off*
Don’t drop out because you THINK you’re going to fail.
Do the work and submit SOMETHING and finish the year.

If you drop out now then you’ll have to repay the majority of your 3rd maintenance payment asap. If you submit your work and complete the year then you’ll be able to keep the money you have been paid already. Completing the year will make it easier for you to start saving some money.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Don’t drop out because you THINK you’re going to fail.
Do the work and submit SOMETHING and finish the year.

If you drop out now then you’ll have to repay the majority of your 3rd maintenance payment asap. If you submit your work and complete the year then you’ll be able to keep the money you have been paid already. Completing the year will make it easier for you to start saving some money.

Thanks, but I literally hate my course tbh. And I haven’t applied for student finance for 3rd year yet…I was also of course going to submit something for each module because it is way worse to submit nothing. I’m just really stuck atm- I considered changing courses at my uni but idk that that’s really for me
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, but I literally hate my course tbh. And I haven’t applied for student finance for 3rd year yet…I was also of course going to submit something for each module because it is way worse to submit nothing. I’m just really stuck atm- I considered changing courses at my uni but idk that that’s really for me

Oh sorry- thought you meant third year, re read and saw you meant my last payment. Yes I have been thinking that I’ll stay until I finish up the year here.
Going back to the original question, yes, another uni might be concerned about your performance.

Most likely to be the case if you apply for the same subject. For a different subject it’s common for people to underperform and they are less likely to care.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Going back to the original question, yes, another uni might be concerned about your performance.

Most likely to be the case if you apply for the same subject. For a different subject it’s common for people to underperform and they are less likely to care.

Thank you, do you think saying a year out helped me think/ reconsider what I want to do in the future
Thank you, do you think saying a year out helped me think/ reconsider what I want to do in the future

If you are taking the same subject I think it’s worth addressing what went wrong and what you’ve done to rectify it.

If you’re taking a new subject I would not waste any space in your PS on it as it should be self explanatory and unis are unlikely to care.

The important bit is to be upfront about it and make sure it’s listed in your academic history on UCAS.

PQ was saying the third term. You get your SFE for each year disbursed in three installments - if you drop out now, you will need to repay most of that third installment back immediately (i.e. the most recent set of student loan money you received would need to be paid back nearly in full - is this something you can afford?).

If you are being funded by SAAS it might be a different situation though, I'm not too familiar with them.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 9

100%. i stayed in uni for 3 weeks (near pathetic amount i know) but knew as soon as i sat down in the first lecture that i had picked the wrong course at the wrong uni. dropping out was genuinely the best decision i made for myself, and it's normal to be scared or anxious about it as it's such a big step but to stick to something you aren't enjoying and waste both money and time is even worse. im not sure if you are, but i applied to a different course and got offers from better ranking universities so it didn't impact me but i can see why if you're applying for the same course unis might be a bit wearier
Reply 10
Original post by mg182004
100%. i stayed in uni for 3 weeks (near pathetic amount i know) but knew as soon as i sat down in the first lecture that i had picked the wrong course at the wrong uni. dropping out was genuinely the best decision i made for myself, and it's normal to be scared or anxious about it as it's such a big step but to stick to something you aren't enjoying and waste both money and time is even worse. im not sure if you are, but i applied to a different course and got offers from better ranking universities so it didn't impact me but i can see why if you're applying for the same course unis might be a bit wearier

Thank you, a lot of people have said it’s better to change if you’re unhappy. I’ll really miss the people and friends I’ve made here and like the city but at the end of the day I’m here for a degree and my future. Another friend left her course because she didn’t find she was learning anything, the same reason as me, I’ll be looking at different courses however as I don’t think my course at any uni would be for me.
Reply 11
Thank you, a lot of people have said it’s better to change if you’re unhappy. I’ll really miss the people and friends I’ve made here and like the city but at the end of the day I’m here for a degree and my future. Another friend left her course because she didn’t find she was learning anything, the same reason as me, I’ll be looking at different courses however as I don’t think my course at any uni would be for me.

yeah it is really hard leaving especially if you're not 100% sure where you go from there. however, you will have a lot of time to research different options, which paradoxically enough is much more exciting and thorough when its done in your own free time when you have time to think clearly instead of skimming through unis like a catalogue when you're rushing to get your personal statement done, as well as mocks, a-levels etc in college, so i think whatever choice you make next will most likely feel a lot more solid and concrete. if you dont mind me asking, what are you currently studying and what are you thinking of switching to?
Reply 12
Original post by mg182004
yeah it is really hard leaving especially if you're not 100% sure where you go from there. however, you will have a lot of time to research different options, which paradoxically enough is much more exciting and thorough when its done in your own free time when you have time to think clearly instead of skimming through unis like a catalogue when you're rushing to get your personal statement done, as well as mocks, a-levels etc in college, so i think whatever choice you make next will most likely feel a lot more solid and concrete. if you dont mind me asking, what are you currently studying and what are you thinking of switching to?

Yeah I agree, I feel I need time and space to decide. Currently studying animation looking at studying model making/ photography at the moment. Tbh I liked stop motion animation the most and didn’t realise unis don’t teach much about it, especially my current uni, I was overwhelmed by getting a place at a prestigious uni rather than the course.
Reply 13
Yeah I agree, I feel I need time and space to decide. Currently studying animation looking at studying model making/ photography at the moment. Tbh I liked stop motion animation the most and didn’t realise unis don’t teach much about it, especially my current uni, I was overwhelmed by getting a place at a prestigious uni rather than the course.

yeah i completely get that, i think focusing on prestige rather than content is a massive issue for more creative and artsy people but at the end of the day, employers know that some unis or even schools, have more progressive and liberal teaching methods for art and would definitely recognise talent and uniqueness over a more traditional or restrictive 'prestigious' uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending