The Student Room Group

Physics students - Time for sports?

Hi, I am hoping to go to university next year to study physics and I am very keen on joining a sports club. I know that physics is a very time consuming degree and I am worried that I will not have enough time to join a club. If there is any physics students out there who could share their experiences, not just on joining a club, but on how much free time you get generally. Thanks. 😄
You will have plenty of time. It is how you manage that time that makes the difference. Both myself and my wife agree that if we had treated our degrees like jobs and worked a 9-5 every day, there would have been plenty of time to attend lectures, do assignments and projects (way ahead of time), write up notes and study our subjects in depth. That would have left evenings and weekends free to do as we pleased.

Instead we both did what most students do. Attended lectures and then hung out with our friends. Pulled all nighters to get those assignments in at the last minute and decided that going to the pub at lunchtime was a good idea once in a while.

But it is your choice! Good luck!
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, what course did you study and did you join any clubs/societies?
Reply 3
Original post by james16798
Hi, I am hoping to go to university next year to study physics and I am very keen on joining a sports club. I know that physics is a very time consuming degree and I am worried that I will not have enough time to join a club. If there is any physics students out there who could share their experiences, not just on joining a club, but on how much free time you get generally. Thanks. 😄

You will find that you have considerably less time than people studying other subjects, but you'll still have plenty of time for sport. I do physics and do a minimum of 5 hours of sport a week. It's more about managing your time effectively.
Thanks for the reply, what course did you study and did you join any clubs/societies?

I did Electronics and Computer Science. In my first year I joined sailing, hockey and orchestra but dropped out of hockey.

I then flunked my second year but during second and third year I commuted each Monday evening from Brum to Warwick University to play in their Orchestra.

I also discovered the mountaineering club in my second / second second year which then became my main social hub. I ran it in my final year by which time I had finally figured out a healthy work / play balance.

Good luck!
One of my best friends is studying physics, but he goes to gym 3 times a week. It shouldn't be a problem, if you can organize your time)
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek
I did Electronics and Computer Science. In my first year I joined sailing, hockey and orchestra but dropped out of hockey.

I then flunked my second year but during second and third year I commuted each Monday evening from Brum to Warwick University to play in their Orchestra.

I also discovered the mountaineering club in my second / second second year which then became my main social hub. I ran it in my final year by which time I had finally figured out a healthy work / play balance.

Good luck!

How many hours of work were you doing a week?
How many hours of work were you doing a week?

Ha - the bare minimum. It is only hindsight that would see me pulling a working week at university. I had about 15 - 25 hours of contact time per week throughout my course. A working week of 8 - 5 with an hour off for lunch is about 40 hours so that leaves between 15-25 hours to write essays etc which would have been more than ample time. I would have even had time to write up notes and read around subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
You will have plenty of time if you're efficient... I'm 3rd year and I got to the gym 3 times a week and run 4 times a week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending