The Student Room Group

Driving test tomorrow - what's this with show me/tell me??

I only knew about this the other day and due to work commitments, I'm only going over them now...

Can I fail if I don't know the answers?

Also, what do I need to take.

Finally, any last minute tips?!

I have one question. Sometimes it takes me a short while to find the bite on a hill for cluch control, is it okay to use the parking break if I can't go forward and need to remain still rather than sitting on the biting point?
I hope you're joking...

Can you fail? Not that I'm aware of, you'll get a minor though.
What do you take? Theory test pass certificate and driving licence.
Tips? Non really.

Yes, you should be using your parking brake on hills anyway, sitting on the biting point can burn the clutch. If you've been taught to sit on the biting point then get a different instructor if you fail your test. I hope for your sake that you've been taught properly.

It might also be worth telling us what other things you've been taught to do (how to set off, how to secure the car, , how to brake in an emergency,ect...).
I'ts not a big deal as they are only worth minors
Reply 3
Original post by TheMcSame
I hope you're joking...

Can you fail? Not that I'm aware of, you'll get a minor though.
What do you take? Theory test pass certificate and driving licence.
Tips? Non really.

Yes, you should be using your parking brake on hills anyway, sitting on the biting point can burn the clutch. If you've been taught to sit on the biting point then get a different instructor if you fail your test. I hope for your sake that you've been taught properly.

It might also be worth telling us what other things you've been taught to do (how to set off, how to secure the car, , how to brake in an emergency,ect...).

Oh my, my instructor said nothing about the theory test certificate...now I'm scrambling trying to find it!

The non-handbrake use was about when you're just pulling out of a junction but there may be a slight downhill slope, not using clutch bite in all situations.
Reply 4
Original post by Jawline?
Sometimes it takes me a short while to find the bite on a hill for clutch control, is it okay to use the parking brake if I can't go forward and need to remain still rather than sitting on the biting point?
You can pass your test these days by sitting on a hill riding the clutch? Golly, things have changed. That was a fail back in the last millennium.

Mind you, it's been a long time since I saw anyone that could ride the clutch, rocking backwards and forwards at the lights, unable to sit still seems to be the norm. Dead funny when the lights go green and they're still rolling backwards, the losers. If you can't ride the clutch, use the handbrake or get an automatic.

Sorry, I'll get back inside my box.
Reply 5
I only knew about this the other day and due to work commitments, I'm only going over them now...

Another well prepared candidate, I see :rolleyes: If you don't pass, you should really change your instructor. Your lack of preparation isn't encouraging. That must make you really nervous.

Sometimes it takes me a short while to find the bite on a hill for cluch control, is it okay to use the parking break if I can't go forward and need to remain still rather than sitting on the biting point?
It's fine to use the handbrake; it's there to be used. Use it when stopped at lights and for lengthy stops in traffic queues. Use it when you've parked at the side of the road.

It's a concern that it takes you a while to find the biting point. This should be a basic skill learned early on in your lessons and perfected to the point of fluency well before you were near your test date. If you're struggling at this late stage, your instructor has a lot of questions (besides vehicle safety questions) to answer...
Reply 6
Original post by Advisor
It's a concern that it takes you a while to find the biting point. This should be a basic skill learned early on in your lessons and perfected to the point of fluency well before you were near your test date.
It should, but I'd estimate at least 1 in 4 drivers can't do it, based on how many roll backwards when setting off on a slope at a junction.

Finally, any last minute tips?!

I have one question. Sometimes it takes me a short while to find the bite on a hill for cluch control, is it okay to use the parking break if I can't go forward and need to remain still rather than sitting on the biting point?

You can't necessarily fail just because you missed the answers, but if I remember correctly you'll be given minors if you fail to answer (2 of them I think). It's basic stuff like show me how to operate the windshield wipers or tell me how you would change fluid. There was a very informative video on YouTube where many of them were covered. My instructor also went over it on the last hour (the 2 hours of lessons I had right before the test) but I was aware of it already because of my own individual research.

You should take theory test pass certificate and driving license.

It probably depends on the situation. If you are stopping for traffic light and need to stop on uphill then use the handbrake or if you are stopping on the side of the road then also use handbrake. When you need to move off, you find the point above bite and it'll feel like the car wants to go forward but it's stuck because of handbrake and then at the same time let the handbrake off and off you go, make sure that you are above bite point otherwise there is a chance that the car might go backwards before you accelerate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Oh my, my instructor said nothing about the theory test certificate...now I'm scrambling trying to find it!

No need, you only need your photo provisional license.
Original post by AH127
No need, you only need your photo provisional license.

https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving-test-for-cars/documents-to-bring-to-your-test

2. Documents to bring to your test
You must bring:

Your theory test pass certificate (or confirmation) if you’re not exempt from taking the theory test

Your driving licence

If you have an old-style paper licence instead of a photocard, you must also bring a valid passport.

Your test will be cancelled and you’ll lose your fee if you don’t bring the right documents.

Whether they ask for it or not is another story, if you don't take it and you get an examiner that does ask for it, you forfeit your test fee since you didn't bring the right documents.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by TheMcSame
https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving-test-for-cars/documents-to-bring-to-your-test

Whether they ask for it or not is another story, if you don't take it and you get an examiner that does ask for it, you forfeit your test fee since you didn't bring the right documents.

Fair enough, I was just going by a mate's test last month. He brought everything it said to on the .gov website, but only needed the photo license.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending