The Student Room Group

Psychology question wording. Help!

So I did a test today and the 12 marker said "Discuss Bowlby's maternal deprivation theory with use of the example given" It didn't say evaluate so I described the features of the theory with explanation and evidence from the example. Was I supposed to evaluate too? I'm really annoyed because if that was the case I could have easily done that :frown:
Reply 1
Just search the theory on google you can get some good suggestions
Reply 2
Original post by blitzchika
So I did a test today and the 12 marker said "Discuss Bowlby's maternal deprivation theory with use of the example given" It didn't say evaluate so I described the features of the theory with explanation and evidence from the example. Was I supposed to evaluate too? I'm really annoyed because if that was the case I could have easily done that :frown:

Yep. Discuss means to debate; to consider advantages and disadvantages with supporting evidence. I assume around 6-8 marks would be awarded for the actual debate bit, so if you just outlined the theory, you probably won't be getting brilliant marks.

Easy mistake to make though.
:wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Davalla
Yep. Discuss means to debate; to consider advantages and disadvantages with supporting evidence. I assume around 6-8 marks would be awarded for the actual debate bit, so if you just outlined the theory, you probably won't be getting brilliant marks.

Easy mistake to make though.
:wink:

Do you reckon I got 6 marks?
Reply 4
Original post by blitzchika
Do you reckon I got 6 marks?

I couldn't say without knowing exactly what you wrote. I assume that for this question there would be either four or six marks for AO1 (outline) and the rest for AO2 (evidence, evaluation, etc). If you described the theory well and related it to the scenario (I presume you had a scenario from what you have said), you should be able to get the full AO1 marks, but might be lacking in the AO2 due to not evaluating.

Quick Reply

Latest