The Student Room Group

Access to HE Diploma, Stonebridge, (Social Science & health) Assignment 5 HELP

Worked through unit 5 (Intro to Psychology) great! Understanding most of the course information etc, however now I am starting to prepare the academic report that is the assignment for this unit and I am struggling! Any help appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you read your question you may notice you have not given any details other than stating you need help.

What are you struggling with? Writing the report, meeting the criteria or are you struggling with certain concepts and theories?

More information you can give the easier it is for people to help.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I am on unit 12 of this access course what do you need help with i can give you some pointers
Original post by gembutch
I am on unit 12 of this access course what do you need help with i can give you some pointers

Hey, thanks so much for your reply! I THINK I have the understanding of the questions for the assignment itself but I'm a little confused/worried about the layout. It is to be an academic report, so am I right in thinking the sections 1 - 4 from the assessor guidance would be the "findings" part of the academic report?
If so, according to an earlier unit, an academic report of 2,000 words is advised to be set out as follows:
Title Page (word count: na)
Terms of reference (word count: approx 100)
Contents page (word count: na)
Research Methodology (word count: approx 150)
Findings (word count: approx 1,000)
Conclusions (word count: approx 500 words)
Recommendations (word count: approx 250)
Ref list, Bib and Appendices na

However within the guidence it suggests 300, 300, 500 and 500 for the four sections/questions.. which if this fits under as "findings" would take me well over the word count.
Do I have the right end of the stick? Can I ask for your rough word counts for each section of the academic report? Many thanks!
Reply 4
Good morning,

How did you get on with this? I am in the exact same position as you - the questions don't fit the academic report structure. I have had zero feedback from my assessor and I am getting so frustrated.

Can anyone help me, please?
Original post by bunty_
Good morning,

How did you get on with this? I am in the exact same position as you - the questions don't fit the academic report structure. I have had zero feedback from my assessor and I am getting so frustrated.

Can anyone help me, please?

Title Page n/a
Terms of Ref - 70 words
Contents page n/a
Research Methodology - 75 words
Findings Section One -278
Section Two - 300
Section Three - 529
Section Four - 466
Reference List n/a
Bibliography n/a

That's how I structured mine, it didn't seem fitting to write up recommendations or conclusions, passed :smile: Hope this helps!
Reply 6
What research methodologies though? We haven't done any research??I feel like jacking the course in, I'm so annoyed haha
Original post by bunty_
What research methodologies though? We haven't done any research??I feel like jacking the course in, I'm so annoyed haha

Where have you obtained your knowledge and information from for your assignment? :smile:
Here's what I wrote
"To prepare this academic report I used secondary research. I obtained and read segments of Cardwell, M. Clark, L. and Meldrum, C. ‘s (2003) Psychology for AS-level. Third edition. And Flanagan, C. ‘s (2008) Revise AS & A2 AQA Psychology which I have used as my main sources. There are a number of web pages which can be found in the Bibliography that I also used to help support parts of this report and build my knowledge."
Original post by back_to_studying
Where have you obtained your knowledge and information from for your assignment? :smile:
Here's what I wrote
"To prepare this academic report I used secondary research. I obtained and read segments of Cardwell, M. Clark, L. and Meldrum, C. ‘s (2003) Psychology for AS-level. Third edition. And Flanagan, C. ‘s (2008) Revise AS & A2 AQA Psychology which I have used as my main sources. There are a number of web pages which can be found in the Bibliography that I also used to help support parts of this report and build my knowledge."

PS don't give up! You got this! x
Reply 9
Thank you!! Honestly, I've been so frustrated and you don't get any feedback or support from the college!!

Thank you for your help xx
Original post by bunty_
Thank you!! Honestly, I've been so frustrated and you don't get any feedback or support from the college!!

Thank you for your help xx

I’m on number 16 now so give me a shout if you get stuck in the future! Xx
Reply 11

Oh you are lovely!
Hi, I know this was posted some time ago but I'm hoping someone may still be able to help. I am stuck on the sociology within health and social care unit, writing the essay. Sociology makes absolutely no sense to me and its really stressing me out. I have no idea where to start or what I need to write about! Can anyone help?
Have you completed the assignment now? My son is on a similar course and we've been struggling with the lack of input from the 'tutor' and the way the question is structured (and the expectation to work within a very tight word count and yet produce a report with every box ticked (and the duplication and wasted words this creates).

Hi There I am so sorry to trouble you and not sure if you will even see this but I have seen you at the time got to unit 10. Do you have any pointers for unit 6 I am so stuck and the tutors dont always get back to you as quickly as I would like . I would be grateful for any pointers. Many thanks

You are required to write an essay which analyses, explains and evaluates the issues raised within the case study provided. The case study can be found in the “Download Assessor Guidance” below.

You must ensure that your essay includes each of the following in relation to the issues raised in the case study:
An explanation of the terms crime and deviance.
An explanation of the different approaches to the study of crime and deviance, such as sociological and other social science explanations.
An explanation of social structures theories of crime and deviance.
An evaluation of a theoretical explanation against the examples of crime and deviance outlined in the case study.
A discussion of the conclusions you have formed about perceptions of crime of deviancy emerging from news reports.
GUIDANCE
The essay should be written in paragraphs which flow; it is therefore recommended that you plan your essay before you start to write it.

You must attempt to include some conclusions and recommendations towards the end of your essay.

Relevant theory must be referenced where appropriate, and a references list and bibliography provided.
Original post by bunty_
Oh you are lovely!

Hi, could you please show us the format which you use in Unit 4/5 Thanks :smile:
Original post by TheHumanStudent
Hi, could you please show us the format which you use in Unit 4/5 Thanks :smile:

Hey, do you still need help in unit 5? Let me know.
Original post by abby1212
Hey, do you still need help in unit 5? Let me know.

Have you done the crime and deviance essay? If u have, could you please help me out a little :smile:
Original post by cherryhitchkins
Have you done the crime and deviance essay? If u have, could you please help me out a little :smile:

hey, for sure!! send me a message and let me know how i can help :smile:
Original post by abby1212
hey, for sure!! send me a message and let me know how i can help :smile:

I've sent you a message :smile:

Also for this criteria: An explanation of social structural theories of crime and deviance.
- what sort of information do I need to include?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending