The Student Room Group

Psychology selection procedure Groningen

I’ve been admitted to the BSc course psychology course in Groningen for 2020. The selection procedure exam is in March and I’m aware the information is available on the website. I’m just not sure which past of the biological and social psychology texts I’m expected to study. The entire text seems a bit long for a simple entrance exam but maybe I’m wrong. Could someone who’s sat the exam or sitting it this year tell me what I should be learning?
Reply 1
Hi, im currently also sitting the exam this year in March. The text does seem very extensive however I myself am going to go through all of it, as i think that is what's expected? Thats what I've understood from the website.
Hi! I am going to take the exam this year, could you please tell me what was it like? Was there any kind of surveillance, or was it an open book exam? Thank you!
Reply 3
Hey! I actually didn’t end up going due to the pandemic and all but I can tell you about the exam. I would definitely recommend thoroughly reading all the text given to you. Don’t rely on it being open book as there’s too much text to file through to find the answer within the time limit. I don’t know if you have to watch a lecture for social psychology but if you do that pretty much covered all the questions that were asked bar a few. The whole quiz is multiple choice so as long as you have a strong understanding it’s hard to go wrong. I know like I stated in my question that it’s a lot of text to get through but you honestly just need to stick your head down and learn it. The information helps cover first year psychology which Im studying now anyway so it’s worth the read. There was no surveillance so you technically could have your book open tho they tell you not to however, like I said, there’s too much text to find the answer to the question in time anyway. I would recommend just reading all the text given and get a good understanding and you should be fine! Good luck!
Original post by Ejb17
Hey! I actually didn’t end up going due to the pandemic and all but I can tell you about the exam. I would definitely recommend thoroughly reading all the text given to you. Don’t rely on it being open book as there’s too much text to file through to find the answer within the time limit. I don’t know if you have to watch a lecture for social psychology but if you do that pretty much covered all the questions that were asked bar a few. The whole quiz is multiple choice so as long as you have a strong understanding it’s hard to go wrong. I know like I stated in my question that it’s a lot of text to get through but you honestly just need to stick your head down and learn it. The information helps cover first year psychology which Im studying now anyway so it’s worth the read. There was no surveillance so you technically could have your book open tho they tell you not to however, like I said, there’s too much text to find the answer to the question in time anyway. I would recommend just reading all the text given and get a good understanding and you should be fine! Good luck!

Thank you so so much! I didn't actually expect a reply, as this is a year old thread, but i am so incredibly happy i decided to ask! I completely understand that thing with pandemic, that is the reason why i am also applying to one uni in my country in case something happens. Yeah, i intend to study the text thoroughly. This year taught me that open book exam doesn't mean easy and that it takes a lot of time to actually find an answer :biggrin:. I want to make notes from the scripts, so that way i can quickly look through the notes if i know that i have it there. I think i will go through the whole section of the test, answer every question i know from the top of my head, and then go back through it again and search for the answers to the rest. I think notes will be usefull especially for statistics. I am not used to mathematics in English and may have trouble with some words especially since i am going to be stressed.
Reply 5
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
Thank you so so much! I didn't actually expect a reply, as this is a year old thread, but i am so incredibly happy i decided to ask! I completely understand that thing with pandemic, that is the reason why i am also applying to one uni in my country in case something happens. Yeah, i intend to study the text thoroughly. This year taught me that open book exam doesn't mean easy and that it takes a lot of time to actually find an answer :biggrin:. I want to make notes from the scripts, so that way i can quickly look through the notes if i know that i have it there. I think i will go through the whole section of the test, answer every question i know from the top of my head, and then go back through it again and search for the answers to the rest. I think notes will be usefull especially for statistics. I am not used to mathematics in English and may have trouble with some words especially since i am going to be stressed.

No problem at all. I get notifications when people comment on this thread and I remember how stressed out I was and would’ve loved an in depth response. Making notes of key points is a very good idea even if it doesn’t have the exact answer it may job your memory. I wouldn’t get too caught up on the maths being in English as I recall most of it just being equations but 100% get the key words like standard deviation etc. learnt. If you have any more questions feel free to ask away and I’m happy to answer!
Reply 6
Original post by Ejb17
No problem at all. I get notifications when people comment on this thread and I remember how stressed out I was and would’ve loved an in depth response. Making notes of key points is a very good idea even if it doesn’t have the exact answer it may job your memory. I wouldn’t get too caught up on the maths being in English as I recall most of it just being equations but 100% get the key words like standard deviation etc. learnt. If you have any more questions feel free to ask away and I’m happy to answer!

Also in relation to applying to other colleges closer to home I would very very strongly recommend looking at a few as the entrance exam is very difficult and I didn’t rank even close to what I had expected so it’s always good to have backups ready. Especially nowadays.
Original post by Ejb17
Also in relation to applying to other colleges closer to home I would very very strongly recommend looking at a few as the entrance exam is very difficult and I didn’t rank even close to what I had expected so it’s always good to have backups ready. Especially nowadays.

Can i ask what ranking number did you get and how much did you study? I could possibly apply to more universities here, but i guarantee you that their entrance exams are harder than this :biggrin: usually you have to write two exams and then do an interview to which you have to bring portfolio of your extracurricular work, your reading list (at least 20 books) and two pages long motivational letter. The admission rate is about 8-10%, so that is why i am applying only to one uni back home (to the only one which only needs the tests, but it is still one of the best (some say THE best) psychology programs in country)
Reply 8
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
Can i ask what ranking number did you get and how much did you study? I could possibly apply to more universities here, but i guarantee you that their entrance exams are harder than this :biggrin: usually you have to write two exams and then do an interview to which you have to bring portfolio of your extracurricular work, your reading list (at least 20 books) and two pages long motivational letter. The admission rate is about 8-10%, so that is why i am applying only to one uni back home (to the only one which only needs the tests, but it is still one of the best (some say THE best) psychology programs in country)

Ah okay, my country does college admissions entirely based on end of year exam results therefore it’s easy to have as many backups as you want as there’s no extra work required. I can see why you’d only want to apply to one extra. If groningen is your first option I would recommend focusing all your attention on the exam and as long as you get ranked under 800 you’re almost guaranteed a place. I didn’t study that much at all as I was focusing on final year exams so I got ranked in the 900s but that’s completely my fault for not studying. I’m much happier with the psychology course I’m doing right now so it worked out anyway
Original post by Anonymous
Ah okay, my country does college admissions entirely based on end of year exam results therefore it’s easy to have as many backups as you want as there’s no extra work required. I can see why you’d only want to apply to one extra. If groningen is your first option I would recommend focusing all your attention on the exam and as long as you get ranked under 800 you’re almost guaranteed a place. I didn’t study that much at all as I was focusing on final year exams so I got ranked in the 900s but that’s completely my fault for not studying. I’m much happier with the psychology course I’m doing right now so it worked out anyway

Hi! i’m hoping you’ll get the notification for this! i’m doing my exam in 3 weeks and i’m just wondering would I have to know the date/names of psychologists from the experiments/case studies given us as examples in the text? Also I’m not really learning the definitions off but I’m trying to understand is that okay or should I be learning them off word for word? Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 10
I don't think you need that, just know who did which experiment should be more than enough. I have also a question to the guy who did the exam last year. What kind of statistic questions did they ask? Which calculation did you have to do? Thanks!
has anyone taken the test yet and if so how did you find it?
I received an email about enrollment procedure in Master's Program in Psychology, after taking the selection procedure test, does it mean I pass the test and am offered a place?
Original post by Ejb17

Hi i wanted to ask , where do you find the material to study for the test?
Original post by discreet-zone
Hi i wanted to ask , where do you find the material to study for the test?

Hi, I do not know if you already found it but just in case you don´t find it. https://www.rug.nl/gmw/psychology/education/bachelor/about-selection/?lang=en Maybe this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending