The Student Room Group

My Story

hi everyone, again my biggest thanks goes out to all you fantastic guys on TSR. This place really is a god send.

Basically, i feel i should write this to encourage those who have missed out on medicine ths time around to not give up hope.

i hadnt decided until probably early in year 13 that i wanted to tdo medicine. i had got through GCSEs with fairly good grades, 3 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs and a C. Then i decided at the last minute that i wanted to do sciences for A level, when really i was probably stronger in english/history.
so, i got to college, did **** all for the first year really, and it showed, i ended up with 3 Cs and 1 D in bio, chem, economics and politics. Not the best outlook for an aspiring doctor, but at the time i wasnt aware of what i wanted to do.

So anywho, after receiving such disastrous results i did some soul searching, i met a lot of great people, and decided what i wanted from life. i came up with medicine. i applied to leeds, manc, leicester and bristol, even tho my predicted grades were ABB (this was the previous application cycle now). i didnt hold high hopes for getting in but thought i'd give it a try.

you can imagine my surprise when i got an interview at leicester. so off i toddled, thinking arrogantly 'im the ****, i got a med interview' but i was woefully ill-prepared. i had very little knowledge of the course and what was involved - i didnt even know what a junior doctor was tehehe. i ended up with a rejction. no surprises there!!

But the thing is i HAD knuckled down that year, i HAD been working my arse off, so i left it up to my exam results to decide. If i got 2 As and 1 B or above, then i would take the gap year, and reapply. if not, then i would do biomed or pharmacy through clearing. so it was that i got 3 As in Bio, chem and economics and it was decided that i take a gap year and give it my best shot. for the first part of my gap year i wanted to learn spanish so i took off to spain for three months, and was actually staying with two doctors, that were my host family, so i got a bit of work experience over in spain (slightly different and quirky on the PS). I ended up applying to manchester, bristol, oxford and bsms. i was rejected by the first three without interview, the manchester rejection coming just the day before i went for my bsms intervew - aaaaaaah agony, that was a real kick in the nuts and it took all my control to reasure myself the night before that i was the prize. i had the mentality that i was going to bsms to check them out and what they could offer ME as opposed to the other way round.

i had a fantastic interview (i do tend to do well in interviews when i know what i'm talking about!!). i left in high spirits reflecting on how much i had grown since that time last year. so yesterday, after getting back from work (yes an unfortunate side effect of the gap year) i saw that my ucas application had changed. with shaking hands and butterflies in my stomach i took a look at the last roll of the dice. UNCODITIONAL OFFER!

This is what happens with persistance and dedication. i urge all of you unfortunate applicants who havent made it this year, if you REALLY want medicine - REALLY REALLY, then you've gotta take a gap year and give it another shot.

Right now, i couldnt be happier, i've had three months living in spain, im now working in an office, which isnt great, but the people are cool, and im looking forward to travelling to philipines in july, and then med school in september.

Do what your heart tells you to, and chase the life that you want.

Best of luck,
ryan x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well done mate that's fantastic news and wonderful example or how determination and persistance can pay off. Good luck to you and all the best for the future.
Reply 2
well done.
just shows you shouldn't give up.
Reply 3
Congratulations and good luck!:smile:
Exactly! Well done!
Reply 5
Truly epic tale:biggrin: Well done buddy!!!!
Go you! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 7
So you are coming to bsms :biggrin:
Reply 8
WEll done, nice one :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:.

sighs - "must get grades...must get grades.."
Skillz
Nicely done
Reply 10
love a happy ending...great job mate! With that attitude who knows, you'll probably become one of the top surgeons in the country?
Reply 11
Nice story to brighten up the day :smile: (It's raining here so that just put a smile on my face). All the best mate.
aw well done, sounds like you fully deserve that place xxx
Reply 13
ah that's such a great thing to hear... three Cs to three As, damn.

i'm currently in some DESPERATE need of motivation because i'm supposed to get AAB, as you all know very well since we're all on the same boat, but i'm currently working on a BBB/BBC :frown:

reading this though has helped. ah maybe i'm just too lazy for this. and stupid. just can't seem to get the grades.

/feelingsorryformyself
ph9
ah that's such a great thing to hear... three Cs to three As, damn.

i'm currently in some DESPERATE need of motivation because i'm supposed to get AAB, as you all know very well since we're all on the same boat, but i'm currently working on a BBB/BBC :frown:

reading this though has helped. ah maybe i'm just too lazy for this. and stupid. just can't seem to get the grades.

/feelingsorryformyself

Sounds like me. I seem to be constantly ill, and I'm just not getting the grades, no matter how hard I think I'm trying :frown:

I have a kick butt revision plan laid out for easter and beyond, so maybe that'll help whip me into shape.
Hey... im in a similar position to you guys... i also need a place at med school.
I had horrendous results last week. Im really demotivated right now

Ive had a bad start to this year... broken foot, no sport, no uni news besides rejections and rubbish results. Morale is critically low!
Reply 16
thanks for all the replies. i just hope that i've helped some people to motivate themselves a little.
try to look at this revision for your upcoming exams as short term pain for long term gain. i barely had a social life during the run up to june exams, but i don't regret it for a minute. your friends will understand (and will probably be in the same situation as you).
you gotta sacrifice in order to achieve, there's no magic pill unfortunately.

All the best everyone.
ryan xx
Good for you! Congrats and enjoy med school! :biggrin:
I know what you mean, motivation-wise. I just got profiled and told I'm working at a D standard for Chem. Oh dear.
Reply 19
congratz!!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending