The Student Room Group

i really need help with my maths stats coursework!

i really need help with my maths statistics coursework!
my hypothesis is, boys are taller and weigh more than girls. i have found the mean, median, mode and range for all the different years from year 7 to year 11. i dont really know how i could try and prove my hypothesis by finding the mode, median, mean and range. i know i still need to produce scatter graphs and cumalative frequency, but what else could i add into my coursework to get an even higher mark? please help. how could i explain the mean, median and mode and range so that it is relevant to my coursework? please help, i am desperate :frown:
Reply 1
Unregistered
i really need help with my maths statistics coursework!
my hypothesis is, boys are taller and weigh more than girls. i have found the mean, median, mode and range for all the different years from year 7 to year 11. i dont really know how i could try and prove my hypothesis by finding the mode, median, mean and range. i know i still need to produce scatter graphs and cumalative frequency, but what else could i add into my coursework to get an even higher mark? please help. how could i explain the mean, median and mode and range so that it is relevant to my coursework? please help, i am desperate :frown:
Reply 2

thanks jody
Reply 3
Hi

You need to work out the upper and lower quartiles and the inter quartile range

Put the mean, mode, median, range and quartile info in a table
e.g. boys v girls

then add a conclusion this data shows boys are/are not etc.. eg if the average weight for boys is higher than girls

Try drawing a box and whisker diagram and draw a line graph to show the difference

When you expand the data in part 2 eg use a larger sample of data you wont get any extra marks for doing mean, mode etc...

Draw a stem and leaf diagram to obtain the frequency
what you need for this part is a cumlative frequency table, use a tally, work out the frequency and the cumlative frequency. Use this table work out the median - compare the median with the median for the smaller sample

work out the upper and lower quartiles and draw a frequency curve

Try and explain advantages and disadvantages of using your methods
Reply 4
this dude has long gone and flown out of mama's nest.

Latest