The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Should I do maths minor with computer science at Lancaster University

I am doing computer science at Lancaster University, for my course i need to pick a minor to reach the required credit I need. I was looking at the other minors but none of them interest me and I heard that maths is a good minor to do along side computer science.
However the problem is that I didnt do A-level maths

So I was wondering if anyone whos doing comp sci at Lancaster University, did you pick maths even without an a-level, if not what minor did you pick
Original post by Piotr01
I am doing computer science at Lancaster University, for my course i need to pick a minor to reach the required credit I need. I was looking at the other minors but none of them interest me and I heard that maths is a good minor to do along side computer science.

So I was wondering if anyone whos doing comp sci at Lancaster University, did you pick maths even without an a-level, if not what minor did you pick

I did maths in my first year alongside computer science! I cant remember if its a requirement to have done A-level maths but would highly advise you not pick it if the last time you did maths was GCSE, you would struggle a lot and would end up wasting more time learning content that you will not use later and most people who picked it ended up scoring badly at the end of the year due to how much work it is.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Piotr01

Hi there,

I'm currently a fourth year maths & stats student on an integrated masters. I did the modules that you would take if you chose maths as a minor and personally I think it would be incredibly difficult as there is assumed A-Level maths knowledge. Also, I think the A-Level might be a requirement but you can email [email protected] to double check if that is correct. Some of my friends who take computer science chose economics as minor. Others chose beginners Spanish or French as they felt it was a nice break from computer science and was useful in demonstrating their essay writing ability.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I did maths in my first year alongside computer science! I cant remember if its a requirement to have done A-level maths but would highly advise you not pick it if the last time you did maths was GCSE, you would struggle a lot and would end up wasting more time learning content that you will not use later and most people who picked it ended up scoring badly at the end of the year due to how much work it is.

Thanks for the comment, I emailed the maths department and they also recommended me to do A level maths. So i decided to take introduction into accounting as finance as that’s the only one that i wouldn’t mind doing.
Original post by Piotr01

Hey @Piotr01
I study computer science at Lancaster University and in my first year I personally chose entrepreneurship because it was a 100% coursework module. Also throughout each term, it only required the submission of one essay.
However, I did know a few people who did maths minor because they enjoy maths and some who thought extra maths would help them with their major. Although taking maths minor is not really as useful for those taking cs major, it is still something you can take if maths as a subject interests you.

For a change and expansion of knowledge, some people chose minors like french, Acf, marketing, psychology, etc. Anything that sparks your interest basically.
I hope this helps :smile:
Vyomika (LU Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending