The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Welcome to Lancaster University!

TSR Transition header.jpg

Welcome to Lancaster University!

This thread is a place for our new students preparing to join us in autumn 2023. It is a place for you to ask questions about joining us, and for you to begin to connect with other students on their way to Lancaster.

The best place to start when you are looking at what to do to prepare for coming here is our website.

But if you can't find what you looking for, ask your question in here and one of our student ambassadors will be able to answer you.

We can't wait to meet you and welcome onto Campus in just a few short weeks time!

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations everyone who are getting places today :bl:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hello!

Congratulations on your offer at Lancaster, we can't wait to welcome you to campus! My name is Nellie and I've just finished my second year studying medicine. I've had a great time so far- there are so many societies to get involved in and I've really enjoyed hospital placement. If you have any questions about freshers week, what to pack, or starting at Lancaster in general, we're here to help!
Hi!

Congratulations to everyone on your offers at Lancaster! My name's Becky and I study natural sciences (physics and environmental science). I've had an amazing two years at Lancaster so far; a highlight for me has definitely been playing both football and handball at Roses against York. If you have any questions about university life or what to expect at Lancaster, just let us know!
Hi,

Congratulations on your offers at Lancaster! I'm Carla and I studied Ecology and Conservation, I loved my time at Lancaster, particularly getting involved with wide range of societies that Lancaster has to offer. Happy to answer any questions that you have about Lancaster!
Hello!

My name is Kao and I am studying Computer Science and Mathematics in Cartmel College. Let us know if you have questions about any aspect of the university!
thank you for this :smile: I have a very excited daughter heading your way in the autumn

Because Lancaster was her insurance choice I am a little unclear what happens on the accommodation side. She did the forms when asked and I gather it takes a week or so before we might hear anything - guess my question is how likely would she be to be (i) in Uni accom (ii) on campus?
First years who applied as firm or insurance are guaranteed to get on campus accommodation if they apply for it, and you will be able to get into one of the two colleges you apply for. However, a few of the accommodation types might already have been filled.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)
is there a freshers groupchat/offer holders groupchat that i can join.
Original post by meddapplicant

Search societies on Instagram
For example: @lancasteracs is for the Afro-Caribbean Society
Hey everyone,

A MASSIVE WELL DONE FOR GETTING INTO LANCASTER UNIVERSITY! I am Shaheer - one of the 3rd year medical students. I have been involved with SO many societies including squash, cricket and investing! Feel free to ask us ANY questions, we will be happy to help 😊.
Original post by meddapplicant

Hey @meddapplicant,

I'm guessing from your name that you are going to be studying medicine at lancaster 😂. You can find all the Lancaster Medsoc links here - https://linktr.ee/lancastermedsoc?fbclid=PAAaasRpLz2cBFBUPJ4_M369nI2CQPPH8s2ZNGon2Zs7gZEmLG8zM_Z-wZ_F4 . Plus, if you have a look at their Instagram story - you can connect with other 1st year medical students throught a whatsapp group (its not very active right now BUT it will get busy!)

Alternatively, if you want to take a break from medicine 😅 - you can find more information about and reach out to all the other societies in lancaster here - https://lancastersu.co.uk/ .

I hope this helped.

Shaheer
Reply 12
Hi, are there any groupchats for Law students that are joining you in September? If so, please let me know. Thanks!
Original post by sy78
Hi, are there any groupchats for Law students that are joining you in September? If so, please let me know. Thanks!

Hey! I'm a second year Law student at Lancaster University. You can follow @lulawsoc on Instagram! They have a freshers group chat. If you have any questions, just respond to this~ or find me at @blue.seoul19 on insta. I'm an exec at the Lancaster ACS too
Hi!

Congratulations on your offers at Lancaster! I’m Florence and I study Mathematics with Statistics (with a placement year). I've just finished my placement year and am looking forward to being back in Lancaster in a few weeks. I’m happy to answer any questions about Lancaster or student life in general! 😊
Reply 15
Hi,
My son will be joining to study Natural Sciences. Lancaster was his Insurance, so I’m in the process of getting up to speed with everything.
Would anyone recommend the Freedom Card, I was looking at maybe buying the 1 meal a day option. I’ve only found the menu for one place on the list. It didn’t seem to be much of a saving, as the card works out at £6 per meal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply 16
Hi, are there any group chats for biomedical science students that are joining this Autumn? If so, please let me know!!
checking term dates for 2023 24 it shows final term end date of Friday 28 June - would things really end that late?

I assume May June is all exams? I also assume the exam dates might be known?

Reason for asking is we have a family event in June 2024, right now we have some flexibility in dates but it needs booking asap
Original post by Allymiff
Hi,
My son will be joining to study Natural Sciences. Lancaster was his Insurance, so I’m in the process of getting up to speed with everything.
Would anyone recommend the Freedom Card, I was looking at maybe buying the 1 meal a day option. I’ve only found the menu for one place on the list. It didn’t seem to be much of a saving, as the card works out at £6 per meal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi @Allymiff

I also considered getting a freedom card at the beginning of first year, but decided that it didn't give me as much flexibility as I needed. I found the kitchens at Lancaster to be really well equipped and with hindsight I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on cooking together with my flatmates, which was very sociable.

I do know people who had freedom cards and enjoyed the simplicity of not having to cook, but in this case it may be worth thinking about getting catered accommodation, as this means your son can eat together with his flatmates. Hope this helps!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by vful
Hi, are there any group chats for biomedical science students that are joining this Autumn? If so, please let me know!!

Hey @vful!

The links to group chats may not have been posted yet, but you can keep an eye out on Instagram @lancasterunibiosciences

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending