The Student Room Group

Helpp

Please don’t judge me, I have been through at pot of circumstances that have caused me to reach this point.

I am in year 13 currently studying biooogy chemistry and maths. I am struggling with maths so much to the point where I almost cry in class, and I get so depressed about it. My biggest regret is picking this subject, I should’ve known better. I want to drop it so bad and as it is only 4 months before the exam I understand that my school will not agree to it. I really wanted to drop it and do another subject privately, any subject which is easier than maths.

Please please advise me on what I should do.

Please please don’t judge me, I am very stressed and upset and I have been, I know I have dropped it sooner but I have been through a lot.

Please help me
Original post by lolaaaaajones789
Please don’t judge me, I have been through at pot of circumstances that have caused me to reach this point.

I am in year 13 currently studying biooogy chemistry and maths. I am struggling with maths so much to the point where I almost cry in class, and I get so depressed about it. My biggest regret is picking this subject, I should’ve known better. I want to drop it so bad and as it is only 4 months before the exam I understand that my school will not agree to it. I really wanted to drop it and do another subject privately, any subject which is easier than maths.

Please please don’t judge me, I am very stressed and upset and I have been, I know I have dropped it sooner but I have been through a lot.

Please help me

hello nobody is judging you - do not worry. nobody said a levels are easy :frown:! is there any way you can talk to your teacher(s) that you are struggling with the subject? also, maybe find a study buddy that can meet up with you once or twice a week to go over content? but if you are truly regretting maths, then you need to talk to your sixth form department - they can guide you!

this is short sorry but hopefully helps a bit ❤️ @lolaaaaajones789

Please help me

Maybe i can help you with it as i have a buddy who's very good is this subject.He can give you a free 30 min demo class! If you like him we can work something out.

Please help me

I have a list of videos that you can watch for advice on doing well in this subject if you want (and I can vouch that they work). It's probably the best course of action as far as I would say, unless you just want to vent about it and leave things up to fate. Let me know what you want to do regarding this.

Thing is with maths is you should ideally finish covering the material by the end of the month, then leave yourself 4-5 monnths to revise on the subject (and you need a lot of time to revise this).

From the look of things, am I wrong to assume that you want to get into medicine? If so, I would presume that getting your 3 A grades the first time round takes precedence over any resits, which can explain why you're stressing. Having said that, there are degrees with foundation years that you could take, although they are just as competitive as those without.

Should you ever want to do a subject privately, I would recommend psychology, sociology, business, economics, and accounting since they don't have coursework and they don't involve that much maths (contrary to popular belief, accounting doesn't involve a lot of problem solving with maths).
Reply 4

Please help me

I do maths and I relate to this so much. Maths stresses me out so much and especially when I try to practice questions and can’t do it it makes me feel like I’m so bad compared to everyone in my class.

I would definitely say to make sure you watch videos now to make sure you understand a topic, watch multiple, make some key points. Also what I found helpful was writing key steps to processes eg. Finding the equation of a tangent is really easy once you know like 5 easy steps.

Also, might be worth investing in a weekly tutor to help to with things your struggling with. Also don’t be ashamed at all to get easy things wrong, i forget how to do even gcse maths things a lot.

That way if you find exam questions rly hard you can ask them to walk you through it or topics.

Any revision you do now will only benefit you, and take small steps don’t go too fast and don’t feel demotivated if you struggle maths is one of the hardest a levels you should feel proud of yourself that you are actively trying to seek advice about how to improve :smile:

Please help me

Hey you got this. You have a couple of months to go so just do your best. I did all the same subjects as you did and really teachers put all this unnecessary pressures and stress on us. The key is if you study the right things you will nail the exams. I rarely listen to what my teachers have to say in class tbh and for the most part I self-studied. I got 3 A*s and an A (in maths) and just did what I could. A couple of months is more than enough. I only seriously revised 2 months before my first exam. This is what you should do.

Maths:
•Maths was my weakest (averaged a B throughout the year) and really it was a challenge given that maths included pure, stats, and mech (stats truly killed me) but I managed an A in the final exam (5 marks away from an A*)
•Remember your calculator is your best friend. It is used to test your answers but also to help you do trial and error. Familiarize yourself with the functions and calculations.
•I didn't really do a lot of notes for maths and only noted the following: required formulas, integration and differentiation types and steps, proof examples (root 2 and 3) along with the different types, how to do harmonic steps. All in the questions which require crucial steps along with an explanation on how to do it.
•Print the formula booklet and familiarize yourself with it.
•Do all the past papers. Note that for mechanics especially, the same questions come up again and again year to year. One weight question on an inclined plane, 1-2 differentiation and integration question, joined particles etc.
•I suggest that if you get stuck and can't understand the mark scheme, that you look up a YT paper walkthrough. Then write the question down in your notes and instructions on how you would solve it.
•For stats: memorize how to score every mark for hypothesis testing (the diff types). There is a formula to it and out of 6-7 marks you can simply get one for stating the hypothesis in mathematical terms like N-R(0,p) or smthing.
•Don't stress too much about the large data set for maths. If you happen to memorize some context that would be good (only if you have time).

For mechanics, practice drawing neat diagrams to display your work. Labelling and calculating missing forces is key no matter how useless it may seem. An answer usually unfolds (they might even sometimes give you the answer and all you need to show is how you would get to that answer = working out) when you do this.

•Show all your working out: right or wrong don't erase anything. The examiner will carefully analyse your work and look for your logic.

Hone the basics. I sat the 2023 exams and simple perimeter questions came up, log rules (in its purest form), sequence questions, and really pure was really easy. Where a lot of people including myself tripped up was: NOT READING THE QUESTION PROPERLY. I lost many marks because I put the answer in years instead of months, put a 3 d.p answer, and didn't round correctly.

When a method isn't clear, look at the numbers you are provided with and see how they would fit in in an equation. Key words can also tell you what kind of equation they are looking for (for eg: Ae^kt, given starting amount, exponential inc/dec, time etc).

P.S I saw replies above suggesting that you are keen to pursue med. As a current med student, I would love to help should you need anything.

Hope this helps!
(edited 3 months ago)
Thank you so much to everyone for the kind messages, I’m very grateful that my message reached the right group of audience. You guys don’t understand how much this means to someone who’s so down and depressed and that had high aspirations but due to some circumstances I couldn’t achieve it. I have gathered some courage to pull myself together and stick with maths overall I hope to achieve a grade B. Also, yes I did want to go to med but didn’t get in. Once again thank you so much
Thank you so much to everyone for the kind messages, I’m very grateful that my message reached the right group of audience. You guys don’t understand how much this means to someone who’s so down and depressed and that had high aspirations but due to some circumstances I couldn’t achieve it. I have gathered some courage to pull myself together and stick with maths overall I hope to achieve a grade B. Also, yes I did want to go to med but didn’t get in. Once again thank you so much

aww no problem - happy to help ❤️
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey you got this. You have a couple of months to go so just do your best. I did all the same subjects as you did and really teachers put all this unnecessary pressures and stress on us. The key is if you study the right things you will nail the exams. I rarely listen to what my teachers have to say in class tbh and for the most part I self-studied. I got 3 A*s and an A (in maths) and just did what I could. A couple of months is more than enough. I only seriously revised 2 months before my first exam. This is what you should do.

Maths:
•Maths was my weakest (averaged a B throughout the year) and really it was a challenge given that maths included pure, stats, and mech (stats truly killed me) but I managed an A in the final exam (5 marks away from an A*)
•Remember your calculator is your best friend. It is used to test your answers but also to help you do trial and error. Familiarize yourself with the functions and calculations.
•I didn't really do a lot of notes for maths and only noted the following: required formulas, integration and differentiation types and steps, proof examples (root 2 and 3) along with the different types, how to do harmonic steps. All in the questions which require crucial steps along with an explanation on how to do it.
•Print the formula booklet and familiarize yourself with it.
•Do all the past papers. Note that for mechanics especially, the same questions come up again and again year to year. One weight question on an inclined plane, 1-2 differentiation and integration question, joined particles etc.
•I suggest that if you get stuck and can't understand the mark scheme, that you look up a YT paper walkthrough. Then write the question down in your notes and instructions on how you would solve it.
•For stats: memorize how to score every mark for hypothesis testing (the diff types). There is a formula to it and out of 6-7 marks you can simply get one for stating the hypothesis in mathematical terms like N-R(0,p) or smthing.
•Don't stress too much about the large data set for maths. If you happen to memorize some context that would be good (only if you have time).

For mechanics, practice drawing neat diagrams to display your work. Labelling and calculating missing forces is key no matter how useless it may seem. An answer usually unfolds (they might even sometimes give you the answer and all you need to show is how you would get to that answer = working out) when you do this.

•Show all your working out: right or wrong don't erase anything. The examiner will carefully analyse your work and look for your logic.

Hone the basics. I sat the 2023 exams and simple perimeter questions came up, log rules (in its purest form), sequence questions, and really pure was really easy. Where a lot of people including myself tripped up was: NOT READING THE QUESTION PROPERLY. I lost many marks because I put the answer in years instead of months, put a 3 d.p answer, and didn't round correctly.

When a method isn't clear, look at the numbers you are provided with and see how they would fit in in an equation. Key words can also tell you what kind of equation they are looking for (for eg: Ae^kt, given starting amount, exponential inc/dec, time etc).

P.S I saw replies above suggesting that you are keen to pursue med. As a current med student, I would love to help should you need anything.

Hope this helps!

Thank you everyone I truly am grateful, my heart literally prays for you all, I wish the best of the best for all of you.

Thank you for this really long reply tuilip. I am starting to revise maths from year 1 properly tomorrow. I am using bicen maths and his blank note booklets for each subtopic. I know you may be really busy but any chance you could help me create a revision schedule from now until June just for maths. Please this would really help me! I am mainly going to self study as I had been absent from school a lot so what other resources would you recommend.
Thank you so much once again guys
Thank you everyone I truly am grateful, my heart literally prays for you all, I wish the best of the best for all of you.

Thank you for this really long reply tuilip. I am starting to revise maths from year 1 properly tomorrow. I am using bicen maths and his blank note booklets for each subtopic. I know you may be really busy but any chance you could help me create a revision schedule from now until June just for maths. Please this would really help me! I am mainly going to self study as I had been absent from school a lot so what other resources would you recommend.
Thank you so much once again guys

Hey I'm really sorry for the late reply. Great that you are starting to revise. I also used Bicen and found him to be of big help. Would love to help you create a revision schedule! Just to confirm, are you sitting Edexcel Maths (pure, stats, and mech)? Praying for you too.
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey I'm really sorry for the late reply. Great that you are starting to revise. I also used Bicen and found him to be of big help. Would love to help you create a revision schedule! Just to confirm, are you sitting Edexcel Maths (pure, stats, and mech)? Praying for you too.

Yes I am!! That would be a great help if you could!! Thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest