The Student Room Group

Stay or Go: Should I withdraw in my final year and apply to a Top University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
To be honest, your classification, while important, is very unlikely to be the only factor and nobody here can give you a magic number to aim for that will definitely get you in. It seems like you're hoping for a different answer to the ones given to you on the last three threads you made about this dilemma; they're not going to change.

The fact of the matter is that you need to do as well as possible to get into the universities you're thinking about. Don't dream up all these hypothetical 'what if' scenarios to try to get precise answers -- nobody here can tell you, on the basis of your friend getting into LSE with 65 percent, that you will definitely get in with 67 percent, which is what I think you're hoping for.

Just do your best and see what happens.

In no way was I suggesting that a grade of 67% would guarantee me a place there, but I completely understand you.
The reason I am asking so many questions is because I want to know whether I should bother sending an application if I were to receive these grades.
Thanks for the help.
Original post by Ryanicholls
In some universities consistently averaging above 70% in your third year (and around 67% overall) will get you awarded with a First even if you've done poorly in 2nd year.
There is a special word for this sort of "rounding up" but it escapes me.

Thanks for the input. This prompted me to have a look at my University's and it is one of the few Universities that makes use of it.
They are using both second and third year results however henceforth I will have to rely on the arithmetic average.
Original post by IsThereStillHope
In no way was I suggesting that a grade of 67% would guarantee me a place there, but I completely understand you.
The reason I am asking so many questions is because I want to know whether I should bother sending an application if I were to receive these grades.
Thanks for the help.

It's always worth applying if you have or are likely to get the minimum requirements. The only way you definitely won't get in is if you don't apply.
(edited 8 years ago)
I will work hard and give everything that I have.
Thanks for all the help, I will inform you about my grades in July 2016!
Reply 24
What sort of academic references do you think you could raise from your current uni? If you come out with a First, this would do you no good if your referees thought you weren't up to it.
Original post by Klix88
What sort of academic references do you think you could raise from your current uni? If you come out with a First, this would do you no good if your referees thought you weren't up to it.

I am currently working on my dissertation as a result I am targeting my supervisor and for the other one I will use another person.
I am not applying with my second year results. Once I have graduated I will work for a year and then hopefully do a Masters.
My aim it to use the year to gain relevant work experience and work on professional/related qualifications (CFA Level 1 and 2).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending