The Student Room Group

Clearing while at uni?

Hi there,

I am currently already at university, about to go into second year in september. Am i able to go through clearing whilst being at uni already?

I obviously will only go to one uni, but i was curious if this were possible.
Hi @Lolol1001

I believe it is possible to apply if you have the right entry requirements for the course you want to apply for.

I would recommend speaking to your Student Services Team or possibly the Admissions Team about what steps you need to take in the case you would like to come off the course you're currently on.

You can apply and once you've been accepted on your chosen course then you can inform them before moving on but try to stay organised before leaving so you have your next move planned out.

Have you started to do some research around what course you'd like to do and which universities to apply to through Clearing? Because Clearing can be quite fast pace I would recommend contacting universities asap about Clearing and your options.

Almasi, Ravensbourne University London graduate

Original post by Lolol1001
Hi there,

I am currently already at university, about to go into second year in september. Am i able to go through clearing whilst being at uni already?

I obviously will only go to one uni, but i was curious if this were possible.
Reply 2
Original post by RavensbourneRep
Hi @Lolol1001

I believe it is possible to apply if you have the right entry requirements for the course you want to apply for.

I would recommend speaking to your Student Services Team or possibly the Admissions Team about what steps you need to take in the case you would like to come off the course you're currently on.

You can apply and once you've been accepted on your chosen course then you can inform them before moving on but try to stay organised before leaving so you have your next move planned out.

Have you started to do some research around what course you'd like to do and which universities to apply to through Clearing? Because Clearing can be quite fast pace I would recommend contacting universities asap about Clearing and your options.

Almasi, Ravensbourne University London graduate

Yes I have already contacted the university and given them my details. However, due to the embargo they were not able to confirm anything and won’t be able to do so until next week I believe.

My main concern is whether I am allowed to keep my current place at the university I already attend until I know that I will be able to go to my clearing choice. I don’t want to end up being left without a university. I can see why this may affect things and I don’t want to do anything that could get me into trouble, but when I spoke to the university there was no indication that this would be an issue.
Yes I have already contacted the university and given them my details. However, due to the embargo they were not able to confirm anything and won’t be able to do so until next week I believe.

My main concern is whether I am allowed to keep my current place at the university I already attend until I know that I will be able to go to my clearing choice. I don’t want to end up being left without a university. I can see why this may affect things and I don’t want to do anything that could get me into trouble, but when I spoke to the university there was no indication that this would be an issue.

Applying to other universities doesn't affect your current university. You'll only be withdrawn from your current course if you follow the formal withdrawal process (or fail to enrol for 2023/24)
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Applying to other universities doesn't affect your current university. You'll only be withdrawn from your current course if you follow the formal withdrawal process (or fail to enrol for 2023/24)

Ah ok yeah.

So if I found out I got the place or was given an offer I would be able to withdraw from my current uni after that?

Ah ok yeah.

So if I found out I got the place or was given an offer I would be able to withdraw from my current uni after that?

yep - or just don't re-enrol
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

thank you :smile:

another quick question as I don’t want to make another thread…

I discussed not having sent a UCAS application yet to the university and they confirmed this was ok. However I don’t have a reference, would my tutor at my current university work? (Everything else in the application is completed, just the reference left)
thank you :smile:

another quick question as I don’t want to make another thread…

I discussed not having sent a UCAS application yet to the university and they confirmed this was ok. However I don’t have a reference, would my tutor at my current university work? (Everything else in the application is completed, just the reference left)

If your tutor is around and able to do it quickly yes that’d be ideal.

some universities will accept clearing applications without a reference but it’s important to check.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ

Though it's politer and more courteous to your current university to formally withdraw. It will save their admin staff from having to get in contact with you to chase you to re-enrol. Ultimately they will deem you to have withdrawn, but why not just withdraw through the right process?
Reply 9
Original post by martin7
Though it's politer and more courteous to your current university to formally withdraw. It will save their admin staff from having to get in contact with you to chase you to re-enrol. Ultimately they will deem you to have withdrawn, but why not just withdraw through the right process?

Pretty sure we have to actively withdraw as we are automatically assumed to be returning at my uni. Either way i would go through with formally withdrawing.
Reply 10
Hi,
I’m in a similar situation right now, I’m also currently at university but want to apply to a different course through clearing.
I have a few questions.
Firstly do I have to have a current ucas application to apply to university through clearing this year or will last years application work aswell?
Also if I need a current application how would I go about that?
Sorry if this is a bit blunt lol
Original post by Mintsh
Hi,
I’m in a similar situation right now, I’m also currently at university but want to apply to a different course through clearing.
I have a few questions.
Firstly do I have to have a current ucas application to apply to university through clearing this year or will last years application work aswell?
Also if I need a current application how would I go about that?
Sorry if this is a bit blunt lol

Yes you need a ucas 2023 application to use clearing.

You should be able to log into ucas using your old login and start a new application. Because ucas are processing results in august the application option is not always available.
Reply 12
Hi thanks for the reply,
So I’m terms of the personal statement, I would have to make a new one?
Also with the references would it be okay for an old teacher from my high school to write one independently?
Lastly, would I have to include that I’m currently studying at university in my application and if I failed the year would that potentially affect my admission?

Original post by PQ
Yes you need a ucas 2023 application to use clearing.

You should be able to log into ucas using your old login and start a new application. Because ucas are processing results in august the application option is not always available.
Original post by Mintsh
Hi thanks for the reply,
Also with the references would it be okay for an old teacher from my high school to write one independently?
Lastly, would I have to include that I’m currently studying at university in my application and if I failed the year would that potentially affect my admission?

You can reuse your PS but it’s sensible to make quite a few changes/updates to reflect your study over the last year. Especially if you’re applying to a different course!

It’s up to you who you ask to provide your reference. At this stage I would recommend prioritising anyone able and willing to provide it quickly.

You MUST list a full education history. Including any undergraduate credit qualification earned (any passed modules is a formal qualification that should be listed). Passing your current study isn’t likely to be an issue if you meet the entry requirements of the new course and are changing course. You might want to reflect in your PS about what you realised didn’t suit you and your reasons for being sure the new course will be different.
Original post by Mintsh
Hi thanks for the reply,

Even though you can transfer you need to be aware you might be liable for any accommodation fees yu have committed to in your current university. Check out your contact if you have committed to a hall or flat for next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending