The Student Room Group

M2, FP2 and FP3 or M2, FP2 and M3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morgan8002
Yeah. We finished lessons in December and I didn't do any work until 3 days before the exam.

Haha 2 days for me
Original post by bioeng98

Who knows, it might be an area thing. My school does AQA, the college my brother goes to does AQA. Edexcel and AQA do seem to be the two most common exam boards though. OCR seems to be common for chemistry. Most do chemistry A though - I did chemistry B for AS. Hahaha, I'm down to just AQA: AQA maths, further maths and physics. :smile:

Edexcel is supposed to be the most common, but 3 of the four schools/colleges I applied to did AQA.
Original post by AlphaArgonian
So I've just started my AS-levels (biology, chemistry, maths and further maths) and while I don't want to think about it too much since I want to get year 12 out the way first I was wandering what route I should take, here's why:
I want to be a palaeontologist, unfortunately I was unable to do biology, chemistry, physics (I love all natural sciences with a passion) and maths (another subject I love), so I took further maths. Now I do not regret this because its awesome and still beneficial. At my school, we have fixed modules except A2 further maths.

Here is the module structure:
AS Maths: C1, C2 and S1 which sounds pretty common IMO.
AS Further Maths: FP1, M1 and S2 which is AMAZING.
A2 Maths: C3, C4 and D1. Ew Decision maths.
A2 Further Maths: M2, FP2 and either FP3 or M3.

Now, I've heard FP3 is A LOT HARDER however it would be very beneficial as a lot of the maths in earth science is in the C and FP modules (*cough calculus, complex numbers, matrices, numerical solutions, trigonometry (and therefore probably regular geometry), hyperbolic functions, ordinary and partial differential equations (whatever they are) etc). Now, despite not taking physics I'm not that bad in mechanics (70% in my first test...no bragging intended, 75% in my first FP1 test) however I don't think it will be as relevant (I still love mechanics and am grateful I am able to study a 2nd module) as FP3.

Any opinions? :smile:

FP3 and M3 are the hardest units you can take (excluding M4 and M5 since only child prodigies of the student room take these two). M3 and FP3 are similar in difficulty level in my opinion however FP3 is more fun! If I were you I would ditch D1 and take both M3 and FP3.
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Haha 2 days for me

What'd you get? I got 93.
Original post by Louisb19
FP3 and M3 are the hardest units you can take (excluding M4 and M5 since only child prodigies of the student room take these two). M3 and FP3 are similar in difficulty level in my opinion however FP3 is more fun! If I were you I would ditch D1 and take both M3 and FP3.

Yeah I hope I can convince my school to let me remove D1!
I think the main hurdle with D1 is finding the motivation to study it

You can learn most of it in a weekend.

I know because I skim-read the entire book in a weekend last September. I thought we were going through it really slowly and I decided that I might as well learn ahead and use the lessons in school as revision. When we went through it in class, I remembered a great deal of it.

If you do not like it or aren't too motivated, it does not take too long to learn. :smile:
So I've just started my AS-levels (biology, chemistry, maths and further maths) and while I don't want to think about it too much since I want to get year 12 out the way first I was wandering what route I should take, here's why:
I want to be a palaeontologist, unfortunately I was unable to do biology, chemistry, physics (I love all natural sciences with a passion) and maths (another subject I love), so I took further maths. Now I do not regret this because its awesome and still beneficial. At my school, we have fixed modules except A2 further maths.

Here is the module structure:
AS Maths: C1, C2 and S1 which sounds pretty common IMO.
AS Further Maths: FP1, M1 and S2 which is AMAZING.
A2 Maths: C3, C4 and D1. Ew Decision maths.
A2 Further Maths: M2, FP2 and either FP3 or M3.

Now, I've heard FP3 is A LOT HARDER however it would be very beneficial as a lot of the maths in earth science is in the C and FP modules (*cough calculus, complex numbers, matrices, numerical solutions, trigonometry (and therefore probably regular geometry), hyperbolic functions, ordinary and partial differential equations (whatever they are) etc). Now, despite not taking physics I'm not that bad in mechanics (70% in my first test...no bragging intended, 75% in my first FP1 test) however I don't think it will be as relevant (I still love mechanics and am grateful I am able to study a 2nd module) as FP3.

Any opinions? :smile:

As a first year Earth Scientist, I'd say that (for Edexcel, anyway - I can't judge other boards) FP3 is more useful since our Maths course for the first few weeks is basically the FP3 syllabus. Having said that, I don't think it's a hugely important decision since even if you don't do FP3 you'll still be taught the maths since many people will not have done it and M3 is also a challenging, respectable unit (it's very relevant to Earth Sciences too and it's the first properly tough Mechanics unit), so neither is a bad choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah I hope I can convince my school to let me remove D1!

You may as well do it. It's probably the easiest module and doesn't take much time, so you'd probably be getting a high UMS mark for little effort.
Original post by Plagioclase
As a first year Earth Scientist, I'd say that (for Edexcel, anyway - I can't judge other boards) FP3 is more useful since our Maths course for the first few weeks is basically the FP3 syllabus. Having said that, I don't think it's a hugely important decision since even if you don't do FP3 you'll still be taught the maths since many people will not have done it and M3 is also a challenging, respectable unit (it's very relevant to Earth Sciences too and it's the first properly tough Mechanics unit), so neither is a bad choice.

Well your words are very true if you're at university.

FP3 it is! I only prefer it slightly over mechanics...
You may as well do it. It's probably the easiest module and doesn't take much time, so you'd probably be getting a high UMS mark for little effort.

Oh snap that is true I don't want to risk losing a chance for an A/A*.

I'll...regretfully keep D1
Oh snap that is true I don't want to risk losing a chance for an A/A*.

I'll...regretfully keep D1

In my experience, people do a lot worse than expected on D1 because a) it's very, very easy to make silly mistakes and b) it's boring. It's not the end of the world if you have to do it (I did it) but if you can swap it for M3, it'll be harder for sure, but it would be better in my opinion.
In my experience, people do a lot worse than expected on D1 because a) it's very, very easy to make silly mistakes and b) it's boring. It's not the end of the world if you have to do it (I did it) but if you can swap it for M3, it'll be harder for sure, but it would be better in my opinion.

Yeah it does feel like the grade boundaries will be mere marks away from each other because of its simplicity.
Yeah it does feel like the grade boundaries will be mere marks away from each other because of its simplicity.

To be fair the grade boundaries are very high for all Edexcel units, I don't think D1's unusually high.
To be fair the grade boundaries are very high for all Edexcel units, I don't think D1's unusually high.

Well... *cue swearing*

:smile:
What'd you get? I got 93.

82. What about your other modules?
You can learn most of it in a weekend.

I know because I skim-read the entire book in a weekend last September. I thought we were going through it really slowly and I decided that I might as well learn ahead and use the lessons in school as revision. When we went through it in class, I remembered a great deal of it.

If you do not like it or aren't too motivated, it does not take too long to learn. :smile:

True. But I really found decision maths dull. Hence why I chose to do M5 instead of D2 :biggrin:
True. But I really found decision maths dull. Hence why I chose to do M5 instead of D2 :biggrin:

M5?

Which modules are you doing? Are you doing additional further maths, as well as maths and further maths? :smile:
M5?

Which modules are you doing? Are you doing additional further maths, as well as maths and further maths? :smile:

No, just maths and further. I'm doing M3, M4, M5, FP2, FP3 and S2. I did A2 maths last year.
82. What about your other modules?

C1: 87
C2: 82
S1: 79

FP1: 100
C3: 90
C4: 100
M1: 100
D1: 93
D2: 88

FP3: 100
FP4: 94
S2: 82
STEP 1: 62
FP2: 92
STEP 2: 65
STEP 3: 87
M2: 92

You?
No, just maths and further. I'm doing M3, M4, M5, FP2, FP3 and S2. I did A2 maths last year.

How does that work?
To get an A*, do you still need 90% over just three of those modules? Did you do FP1 and M2 for regular maths then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending