The Student Room Group

claiming PIP and DSA while a student

Hello,

I have just been awarded PIP (a disability living allowance benefit). I am due to start University in September 2016.

I was told it is perfectly legal to work and be in receipt of PIP at the same time - it is not means tested.

I have only heard of DSA (disabled student allowance), but I know this is the equivalent to ESA.

So my question is, would I be able to claim PIP and claim DSA at the same time while a student enrolled on a full time course at University?

Kind Regards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jewb
Hello,

I have just been awarded PIP (a disability living allowance benefit). I am due to start University in September 2016.

I was told it is perfectly legal to work and be in receipt of PIP at the same time - it is not means tested.

I have only heard of DSA (disabled student allowance), but I know this is the equivalent to ESA.

So my question is, would I be able to claim PIP and claim DSA at the same time while a student enrolled on a full time course at University?

Kind Regards.

DSA is not the equivalent of ESA, as DSA is a non-means tested grant which is used to pay for equipment or 1:1 support and not actual cash given to you, so yes you get dsa if you have a disability regardless of any other benefits or any other source of money you have.
Original post by claireestelle
DSA is not the equivalent of ESA, as DSA is a non-means tested grant which is used to pay for equipment or 1:1 support and not actual cash given to you, so yes you get dsa if you have a disability regardless of any other benefits or any other source of money you have.

And ESA is paid to you if you're unfit for work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending