The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

How do I prepare for Section 1 diagrams? Are there books/websites for that?
I sat the GAMSAT September 2015 and I'm sitting it again this year. How do I make sure UCAS send my highest score to my unis?
I feel you - so random those questions. Presumably judging our ability to read people...tenuous. I have completely plagiarised this from someone else's comment either on this thread or one from an earlier year, but the New York Times YouTube channel has a section on the creation of some of their cartoons, "The Cartoon Lounge" or something.

Also, most broadsheet newspapers have cartoonists, and there is typically a place on their website where all the past cartoons are. Can have a browse through those.

Original post by anillatoo
How do I prepare for Section 1 diagrams? Are there books/websites for that?
Original post by saward1988
I feel you - so random those questions. Presumably judging our ability to read people...tenuous. I have completely plagiarised this from someone else's comment either on this thread or one from an earlier year, but the New York Times YouTube channel has a section on the creation of some of their cartoons, "The Cartoon Lounge" or something.

Also, most broadsheet newspapers have cartoonists, and there is typically a place on their website where all the past cartoons are. Can have a browse through those.

Cheers
Anyone interested in forming a study group in Liverpool?
Anyone recieved their test centre details yet? I don't see why it has to be so last minute, I need to book a hotel yet but can't do it until my venue is confirmed 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone planning for London - I emailed them. They wouldn't give the exact venue but they would say it was in Royal Victoria Docks. From this I can only assume it's the Excel. I've booked a flexible room at the travelodge there anyway 👍🏻 nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saward1988
Anyone planning for London - I emailed them. They wouldn't give the exact venue but they would say it was in Royal Victoria Docks. From this I can only assume it's the Excel. I've booked a flexible room at the travelodge there anyway 👍🏻 nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's interesting, I always thought it was at the Kensington Olympia (I think it has been in past years!). Perhaps it has changed this year then. *
Original post by Themightylaa
Anyone recieved their test centre details yet? I don't see why it has to be so last minute, I need to book a hotel yet but can't do it until my venue is confirmed 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in Surrey so I'm just planning on travelling up there in the morning because I don't have the money to stay overnight.

I do have a pretty nasty wound on my foot that's infected now so I'm hoping it heals cos otherwise I'll be in pain all day.
Got an offer to study Medicine last week!!! This is after just 2 years of my degree! No longer need to sit the GAMSAT again! Relieved about that all the revision I don't need to do!

I got in through sitting the GAMSAT guys, keeping working hard and you'll get there! Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VARRRDAQ
Got an offer to study Medicine last week!!! This is after just 2 years of my degree! No longer need to sit the GAMSAT again! Relieved about that all the revision I don't need to do!

I got in through sitting the GAMSAT guys, keeping working hard and you'll get there! Good luck!

Congratulations! How come you got an offer so late and what were your GAMSAT scores?
Original post by VARRRDAQ

Congrats! Tell us your secrets!
Reply 572
What time are people arriving at their test centres? The way the trains have worked for me I would arrive in the station either 1 hour and 15 minutes before or 5 minutes before. So I am going to be there for 7am!! So I plan on going over some things in the station.... is this a really bad idea??
Original post by taywh
What time are people arriving at their test centres? The way the trains have worked for me I would arrive in the station either 1 hour and 15 minutes before or 5 minutes before. So I am going to be there for 7am!! So I plan on going over some things in the station.... is this a really bad idea??

Registration does drag on for the best part of an hour, but getting there 5 mins before registration opens would be cutting it too fine for me. Especially if something were to happen to the train on the way! Get there early and then there is no need to stress about whether you will be late or not. Use your time to go through your strategies for each section in your head and get prepared mentally.
For the UCAS application form, is there anywhere you are supposed to enter details of our UG degree? In the education section it just seems to ask for college/school details and a drop down box of my highest level of education, but no details about it.

Is this something the uni's enquire about themselves around interview time? Don't want to make any stupid mistakes that get my application auto-rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to tackle section II? Looking through various things online gives conflicting responses. From the quotes given in a respective 'theme', are we to write an essay based on one or two quotes or about the theme in general? In some places I've read that we should write the standard 'argument, conclusion' type essays and others more of a 'personal experience/anecdotal' type? What is actually expected, any idea? I know I'm leaving it quite late (only had 4 weeks overall to dedicate to this ruddy exam!) but I'm really not sure how to even begin with actually structuring the essays and haven't been able to find anything that useful or relevant about it!
Original post by kimsiclez
Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to tackle section II? Looking through various things online gives conflicting responses. From the quotes given in a respective 'theme', are we to write an essay based on one or two quotes or about the theme in general? In some places I've read that we should write the standard 'argument, conclusion' type essays and others more of a 'personal experience/anecdotal' type? What is actually expected, any idea? I know I'm leaving it quite late (only had 4 weeks overall to dedicate to this ruddy exam!) but I'm really not sure how to even begin with actually structuring the essays and haven't been able to find anything that useful or relevant about it!

For both essays you should refer to one or more quotes. In the past I have quoted my chosen quote within my essay.

For essay A the general consensus is one of an argument based approach. Brief intro chapter, argument for with supporting examples, argument against with supporting examples, conclusion.

Essay B is more personal and reflective. General consensus is to write about personal experiences surrounding the theme, how they affected you and what you learnt from them.

Aim for 500ish words for each as a minimum.
Reply 577
Guys hows your study going???

I just finally did the practice test, I got 60 percent on S1 and 75 on S2, is it good? Just checked randomly and found this material called Des O'Neill, it's so difficult! Im even worrying that I couldn't score more than 50!!! Any tips for the last minute?
Original post by ddll87
Guys hows your study going???

I just finally did the practice test, I got 60 percent on S1 and 75 on S2, is it good? Just checked randomly and found this material called Des O'Neill, it's so difficult! Im even worrying that I couldn't score more than 50!!! Any tips for the last minute?

When you say S2, do you mean S3? And did you perform it under the exam conditions (the same time constraints)? It's impossible to say what a percentage is in relation to a GAMSAT score since no one has accurately figured out any kind of conversion anywhere, it's very complicated, but they sound alright to me. 75% in S3 if that's what you mean is a very high score, getting 3/4's of all Q's right would put you in a strong place I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marathi
For both essays you should refer to one or more quotes. In the past I have quoted my chosen quote within my essay.

For essay A the general consensus is one of an argument based approach. Brief intro chapter, argument for with supporting examples, argument against with supporting examples, conclusion.

Essay B is more personal and reflective. General consensus is to write about personal experiences surrounding the theme, how they affected you and what you learnt from them.

Aim for 500ish words for each as a minimum.

Suppose we had to write an essay based on something we literally have no idea about, how would we provide supporting evidence for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending