The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Your Pathway to studying Medicine: Here's Your Options!

Are you passionate about a career in medicine? Do you believe you will make an excellent doctor? Want to help people while also working in a challenging environment? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then medicine is for you. There are several ways to start your journey through med school. For the purposes of this article, I will highlight the opportunities and pathways to medicine which are common in the UK. I will also share my own journey to studying medicine at Swansea University to give you an idea of the possibilities. Keep reading to find out more!
Common Requirements

Here are some of the requirements for your application to medical school keep in mind that every university may have slightly different/additional requirements for their courses.

UCAT/GAMSAT/MCAT these are the different tests required by medical schools in the UK. UCAT is largely a test of aptitude and used for undergraduate level courses, GAMSAT is a test of knowledge both science and non-science based for graduate entry courses and MCAT is more associated with the USA and accepted by some universities in lieu of GAMSAT. Regardless of your education background, it is imperative that you prepare for these exams as universities use them for their interview cut-off list, minimum requirement list or ranking applications.

Personal statement when applying via UCAS, you can upload a personal statement that shows the admissions team how passionate you are about the course. It is also a fantastic opportunity to highlight that you have undertaken relevant work/voluntary experience and know what medicine entails.

A level/IB/Equivalent common subjects are biology, chemistry along with any others. Some universities require certain A levels and GCSEs so do check.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Pathways

Undergraduate Entry 5 yrs. This is the most common, students apply in the final year of A levels. You need to have high predicted grades, well rounded personal statement, your UCAT results and in some cases, relevant work experience. After the initial applications are assessed, select numbers are invited to interview. This interview may be a panel interview or an MMI (multiple mini interviews).

Graduate Entry 4 yrs. –This route is gaining popularity; students apply in last year of undergraduate or later. Usually required to sit GAMSAT and successfully complete an undergraduate degree. Some courses accept graduates of all backgrounds in terms of degrees and subjects. Some universities only allow science graduates whereas some other universities allow graduates who have at least studied physiology and anatomy at university level.

Access courses to medicine a popular idea if you do not have the relevant prerequisites such as the desired A levels subjects, have had a non-traditional high school degree experience. You complete the 1+ yr. course and then apply for medicine.

Feeder courses to medicine run by certain universities. Ideal if you missed out on undergraduate medicine due to grades or not meeting other requirements. These courses sometimes tie in with graduate entry medicine at same or different universities.
My Journey

I studied biomedical science at undergraduate level. Followed by a masters and work in biotech industry. Therefore, I applied to four graduate entry medicine programmes. Interviewed at different universities and chose Swansea. My reasons for accepting the offer from Swansea were the interview panel was a positive experience, it felt like a chat rather than an inquisition, the programme boasted early clinical exposure which I appreciated, and the campus is located close to the beach! I found the UCAT and GAMSAT quite challenging and devoted at least 3 months of test prep so that I was familiar with the test pattern and conscious of the time constraints. To prepare for my interviews, I practiced with my friends and went through situational judgement scenarios. Currently I am in my penultimate year of medicine and enjoying clinical placements in medicine and surgery!

Hope this helps you in your own journey!

Ruchika Yadav Swansea Student Ambassador 3rd Year Medical Student
Reply 4
hi,

I’m looking to sit both the GAMSAT and UCAT for graduate entry medicine. I am aiming for the March 2024 GAMSAT test, so I’m giving myself around 5-6 from September.

Have you got any resources / tips for tackling both? Particularly the GAMSAT, how did you allocate time for revising each section? I think I’m slightly more prepared as I did both A-Level Chemistry and Biology, as well as an A-Level in English Lang and Lit combined. I’m also doing my degree in Physiology so we covered basic A-Level science in first year. I want to be as prepared as possible for both admissions tests and I hate cramming. Please any advice on that would be great!
Hi! 5-6 months is a good time line. I used the official resources and practice tests from the ACER GAMSAT website only for my preparation for GAMSAT. This is because only the material published on their website, as ACER run GAMSAT is most up-to-date and has the exact type/model of questions that come up in the real test. You can have a look at their available resources here - https://gamsat.acer.org/
My top tips would be -
1. To divide your prep time between sections based on your strengths. If you feel you have a good science base as they do test A-Level knowledge, then devote more time to essay writing. I found this to be a very time constrained portion as we had to write 2 essays in a short timeframe.
2. Do the Timed Practice tests on the official website - these have a timer on the screen. A few month before the test, start doing the timed version so you are prepared for the limits. Remember GAMSAT is a marathon not a sprint.
3. Read the information booklet and the demos or sample questions from GAMSAT thoroughly. They will give you an indication of which areas you need to focus on. Utilise the online test generator function for your prep. For Section 1, practice reading long passages or sections from the newspapers at a fast pace - you can time yourself. As it is a timed test, the faster you can read and summarise for yourself, the more time you have to answer the questions that follow the passages.
Hope these tips are useful! ALL THE BEST!

Ruchika Yadav Swansea Student Ambassador 3rd Year Medical Student

Quick Reply

Latest