The Student Room Group

Bitten off more than I can chew!!!

After starting Uni in September I have been absent more times than I have been in the classroom so far. This is due to my physical pain and mobility problems. I am due to pay for my tuition fees but have not done so as yet as I do not want to start paying and I have to withdraw but then the contract I have signed states that even if I have to withdraw I still have to pay the fees, which is £6000 which I consider very unfair.

I have spoken with my GP who felt that I made a huge committment to do a degree considering my condition and felt that I need to really think about what I am doing.

I have contacted Student Plus with my concerns and will be seeing them tomorrow. Although I really like the course and would really like to complete my degree, attendance is paramount due to role plays and in class assessments and I have already missed one! I really cannot guarantee my attendance especially when the temperature drops.

Yes I have DSA where I am able to take cabs to University however my problem is that as I walk with a crutch on my right side and pull along a bag on my left side as I have a surgical screw in my left shoulder, I experience pain due to the balancing act. Also the chairs aggravate my back which cannot be helped and I really feel like I am being left behind.

Just want to hear what people think...
Original post by bajanangie
After starting Uni in September I have been absent more times than I have been in the classroom so far. This is due to my physical pain and mobility problems. I am due to pay for my tuition fees but have not done so as yet as I do not want to start paying and I have to withdraw but then the contract I have signed states that even if I have to withdraw I still have to pay the fees, which is £6000 which I consider very unfair.

I have spoken with my GP who felt that I made a huge committment to do a degree considering my condition and felt that I need to really think about what I am doing.

I have contacted Student Plus with my concerns and will be seeing them tomorrow. Although I really like the course and would really like to complete my degree, attendance is paramount due to role plays and in class assessments and I have already missed one! I really cannot guarantee my attendance especially when the temperature drops.

Yes I have DSA where I am able to take cabs to University however my problem is that as I walk with a crutch on my right side and pull along a bag on my left side as I have a surgical screw in my left shoulder, I experience pain due to the balancing act. Also the chairs aggravate my back which cannot be helped and I really feel like I am being left behind.

Sounds like you would be much better off doing a degree via distance learning.
Reply 2

I am deffinatly not an expert on this and I'm having problems with my own support still so I also deffinatly can't say I understand how it all works yet. However I rember reading about all the none medical helpers and think their might be one that could help.

So it's in here https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/duac/non_medical_help_manual.pdf
on page 10 called Practical Support Assistant.
They seem to do a few things but one of them is carrying equipment for people with mobility problems. Would that make it easier for you to get around uni when your there?

I don't know what you would have to do to get this as there is probably different people at your uni to mine but if you think it would help then find someone to ask. The worse that can happen is they say no.

Another option could be talk to your tutors, explain that your not coming in because of a reason other than drunk/hung-over/lazy etc.. and see if there is any way they can help. For example sending you notes or presentations used in lessons so you could do some of the work from home perhaps. Again worst they can say is no, but if you don't ask you don't get.

Hope this helps, don't give up on your course or what you want to do just because of a disability.
Reply 3
Thank you for your response.

I have spoken to my Study Plus advisor who said that she was aware that I completed my Access to Nursing course but was surprised that I took on this course considering the attendance that is required. She advised me to withdraw on medical grounds as I could guarantee my attendance which is was a requirement for this course and look for a distance learning course if I wish to continue studying.

I also spoke to my tutor who suggested intermission for a year and to see how my condition is after this however I told her that the prognosis is that it will worsen year on year and that this year the flare up came sooner. Last year it started in November, this year is started in September. As my attendance is required for role plays and in-class assignments, I could not guarantee this. I have also missed one assignment which I can only sit in summer school. I do not want to end up sitting the most of my in-class assignments in summer school and if I miss the role plays these cannot be re-done.

Although I am entitled to support in University this would not help when I am experiencing alot of pain during classes, which is one of the reasons which hinders me from attending.

I have until Tuesday to make my decision.
Not too sure what Study Plus is.

Have you talked to the disability support at uni?
Reply 5
Sorry Study Plus is support for for anyone who is disabled or requires extra learning support
Reply 6
Thank you for your response.

I have spoken to my Study Plus advisor who said that she was aware that I completed my Access to Nursing course but was surprised that I took on this course considering the attendance that is required. She advised me to withdraw on medical grounds as I could guarantee my attendance which is was a requirement for this course and look for a distance learning course if I wish to continue studying.

I also spoke to my tutor who suggested intermission for a year and to see how my condition is after this however I told her that the prognosis is that it will worsen year on year and that this year the flare up came sooner. Last year it started in November, this year is started in September. As my attendance is required for role plays and in-class assignments, I could not guarantee this. I have also missed one assignment which I can only sit in summer school. I do not want to end up sitting the most of my in-class assignments in summer school and if I miss the role plays these cannot be re-done.

Although I am entitled to support in University this would not help when I am experiencing alot of pain during classes, which is one of the reasons which hinders me from attending.

I have until Tuesday to make my decision.

oh okay, I didn't know that there were certain parts of your course that required attendance on certain days. Which of course you can't control what days your ill or not.

So yes it does sound like it might not be the best course for you now, so the person you spoke to is probably right. But I can't imagine being in your decision so good luck, and if you want to ask anything else I will try and help. :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you very much dipka, it is very much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest