The Student Room Group

Unsure on apprenticeship

I’ve just done my first day of an apprenticeship it’s a level 6 engineering degree which goes on for 5 years I literally never felt so down after a first day it’s not what I expected as a company but I know I can’t judge on first day but just feel low and is the career path even for me I’m 18 and just finished a engineering diploma at college.
Reply 1
Original post by Rossi789
I’ve just done my first day of an apprenticeship it’s a level 6 engineering degree which goes on for 5 years I literally never felt so down after a first day it’s not what I expected as a company but I know I can’t judge on first day but just feel low and is the career path even for me I’m 18 and just finished a engineering diploma at college.

Sorry it didn't go as you had hoped for. As you say it's hard to judge after only one day. I would stick with it for now. If after a few weeks you still feel it's not for you then maybe that's time to think again about your options. Such as a different job or apprenticeship or a full time degree next year. You are only 18. If you have made a mistake it's not the end of the world.

Hopefully things will pick up but I guess even if that doesn't happen it will give you a chance to get some experience and some money saved up before you move to plan B.
Reply 2
Original post by Slowprop
Sorry it didn't go as you had hoped for. As you say it's hard to judge after only one day. I would stick with it for now. If after a few weeks you still feel it's not for you then maybe that's time to think again about your options. Such as a different job or apprenticeship or a full time degree next year. You are only 18. If you have made a mistake it's not the end of the world.

Hopefully things will pick up but I guess even if that doesn't happen it will give you a chance to get some experience and some money saved up before you move to plan B.

Yeah just finished second day and it’s pretty similar to yesterday so there’s two interns which they know what there doing but with me where I’m an apprentice I don’t really have a clue on anything but they treat me like I should know stuff and setting me projects to do which I have absolutely no clue on.
Original post by Rossi789
Yeah just finished second day and it’s pretty similar to yesterday so there’s two interns which they know what there doing but with me where I’m an apprentice I don’t really have a clue on anything but they treat me like I should know stuff and setting me projects to do which I have absolutely no clue on.

If you are being set work that you have not been trained on or do not understand then ask for help/an explanation. Explain that as you are new you do not have much knowledge on the stuff.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
If you are being set work that you have not been trained on or do not understand then ask for help/an explanation. Explain that as you are new you do not have much knowledge on the stuff.

Yeah I have unfortunately I’m one of the first apprentices they’ve had so I generally don’t think they consider an apprentice is about learning and not just sticking someone in the deep end.
Reply 5
A member of my family was in exactly the same position. She was her employer's first degree apprentice. I remember her saying that for the first few days they had her just doing some menial stuff. But it soon picked up for her.
Reply 6
A member of my family was in exactly the same position. She was her employer's first degree apprentice. I remember her saying that for the first few days they had her just doing some menial stuff. But it soon picked up for her.

How did she deal with it all I feel like I’ve bitten of more than I can chew with this and just way out of my depth with knowledge and just general understanding of everything.
Reply 7
I understand that this is a big step to take straight from school.

With everything in life there are advantages and disadvantages. The big advantages she gets are financial. She is paid a good salary and won't have a student loan as all fees are paid. She will also have a load of work experience when she qualifies. Employers really value experience. And a guaranteed job when she qualifies. She has just completed her first year and has upgraded her car and has some decent savings towards eventually a deposit on a house. And is in a good pension scheme to boot. So for a 19 year old she's doing really well. You could be in a similar position soon.

All this doesn't come for nothing..... she accepts this and you need to try to have the same attitude.
It's hard work studying and working. She has had to accept that and just get stuck in. And she has had friends telling her what a great social life / cushy number they are having at full time uni. On the other hand one of her friends has graduated with mental health issues. So a fantastic "university experience" isn't a given.

Of course you feel like you know nothing after only two days. That's to be expected. Your employer has obviously thought that you have what they were looking for. So that should give you some confidence. Getting a degree apprenticeship is a competitive situation. Just try to look at the positives you are getting. Worst case scenario if that you treat it as a money earning exercise until you are ready to move to whatever you decide plan B is.

Just give it a chance and try your best. You are only 18 and have time on your side to do something else if it doesn't work out. But I hope it will do.
Reply 8
I understand that this is a big step to take straight from school.

With everything in life there are advantages and disadvantages. The big advantages she gets are financial. She is paid a good salary and won't have a student loan as all fees are paid. She will also have a load of work experience when she qualifies. Employers really value experience. And a guaranteed job when she qualifies. She has just completed her first year and has upgraded her car and has some decent savings towards eventually a deposit on a house. And is in a good pension scheme to boot. So for a 19 year old she's doing really well. You could be in a similar position soon.

All this doesn't come for nothing..... she accepts this and you need to try to have the same attitude.
It's hard work studying and working. She has had to accept that and just get stuck in. And she has had friends telling her what a great social life / cushy number they are having at full time uni. On the other hand one of her friends has graduated with mental health issues. So a fantastic "university experience" isn't a given.

Of course you feel like you know nothing after only two days. That's to be expected. Your employer has obviously thought that you have what they were looking for. So that should give you some confidence. Getting a degree apprenticeship is a competitive situation. Just try to look at the positives you are getting. Worst case scenario if that you treat it as a money earning exercise until you are ready to move to whatever you decide plan B is.

Just give it a chance and try your best. You are only 18 and have time on your side to do something else if it doesn't work out. But I hope it will do.

I really needed that thank you very much that really has helped 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending