The Student Room Group

Classical Civilisation A level in one year

My daughter is in Year 12 doing English Lit, Religious Studies and BIology A level. She has just done her end of year exams and got an A in English, B in RS and E in Biology. She has to re-take tomorrow and, if she doesn't get a D, cannot continue the subject. It has been suggested that she might be able to drop Bio and do Classical Civilisation in one year. There is overlap and her brain seems to work much better with reading and analysis than learning hard facts. Has anybody done Classical Civilisation in one year? Would she be biting off more than she can chew? She's actually hating biology now and really can't face it. Not a good way to start year 13. She wants to do Law.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
@PinkMobilePhone - are you able to offer any advice? :smile:
Well doing any A-Level in one year might be a bit of a stretch. Who is it that suggested she would be able to take it in a year?

I'll give you a personal anecdote that might help:

I started Year 12 doing History, Law, French and Spanish.
Half way through Year 12 I decided to drop History and Law. So I finished Year 12 just having done AS Levels in French and Spanish.

I then took up Classical Civilisation at the start of Year 13. So by the end of Year 13 I'd finished French and Spanish, and also had an AS in Classical Civilisation.

I then stayed on an extra year and did Year 13 a second time. I finished off the second year of Classical Civilisation, and just to make up hours in my timetable I also resat French (taking it from a C up to a B), and did GCSE Italian.

So yes it's perfectly possible to take Class Civ up in Year 13, but I'm far less convinced that your daughter's college will allow her to do the whole two year course in just one year.

Quick Reply

Latest