The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

HELP!! a Non- student living with 4 other students

hello there,
I am just wondering if a non student can do a house share with 4 other students as he is our friend and has a full time Job it means we can get more for our money with 5 people.

we know he will have to pay council tax (and gets a discount)

but it will really screw us all up if its illegal for him to live with students or any other problems (others have told us its illegal)

anyone have experience of this?

I know a couple that one is a student and one is working full time
surely adding 3 more people does not change anything?

we are all panicking advice would be grand
Original post by Lulumise
hello there,
I am just wondering if a non student can do a house share with 4 other students as he is our friend and has a full time Job it means we can get more for our money with 5 people.

but it will really screw us all up if its illegal for him to live with students or any other problems (others have told us its illegal)

There's no law about students living with non-students afaik... but it does alter the council tax situation.

if you're planning to sub-let to this guy behind your landlord's back that might be a breach of your tenancy agreement.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
No we are letting all potential landlords know
We are aware of council tax that he is not exempt therefore we are going to share the burden of it between us.

It just depends on the landlord really if they mind or not.
Reply 3
Original post by Lulumise
hello there,

Hello,

Sorry, I know you posted this a while ago but could I ask how you got on? I'm planning on living with students next year and I'm not a student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending