The Student Room Group

Msc automotive Engineering

Im an international student with offers from uni of leeds and loughborough uni for msc automotive engg. Which uni should I go for considering course approach, industry reputation and social life.
Reply 1
You want to check that the course is accredited by the IMechE. It will be important if you want to become a chartered engineering the future (CEng).

As for reputation, both are well respected, but Leeds is the better city to study in. It’s extremely diverse with a large student population (has 4 universities). There’s plenty of stuff to do and see with a relatively lower cost of living and excellent public transport networks. The student union there is particularly good with a ton of subsidised societies to pick up new hobbies and meet new people. It’s also a fairly modern, fast growing, but compressed city that’s easy to navigate.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Naivespartan
Im an international student with offers from uni of leeds and loughborough uni for msc automotive engg. Which uni should I go for considering course approach, industry reputation and social life.

Hi @Naivespartan,

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

You may have done this, but have you compared each course page and the modules or statistics on those pages, including information about any professional recognition? You can see Loughborough's Automotive Engineering MSc programme here and also read about the Department for Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering at Loughborough here.

You may also want to explore some student stories as well to help with comparing each university. Here are some stories from students who have studied at the Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering at Loughborough. You can also view this blog here to hear from another international student at Loughborough.

I would also review our postgraduate study page for further information about studying at Loughborough and what it's like to study here as an international student.

I would also recommend taking a look at some careers information. You can view more details about Loughborough's Careers Network here and how it supports students.

At the end of the day, you have to choose somewhere where you see yourself being most happy. So you may want to look at other factors such as societies or sports teams, location and accommodation.

If you have any other questions, please let us know :smile: alternatively, you can email our International Office on [email protected] if you want any further information too.

- Lindsay
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Does being a russell group member also help leed’s case here? Is loughborough a popular uni among automotive recruiters too? And Is loughborough’s social life a big negative when considering it as an option in general?

Original post by Chris2892
You want to check that the course is accredited by the IMechE. It will be important if you want to become a chartered engineering the future (CEng).

As for reputation, both are well respected, but Leeds is the better city to study in. It’s extremely diverse with a large student population (has 4 universities). There’s plenty of stuff to do and see with a relatively lower cost of living and excellent public transport networks. The student union there is particularly good with a ton of subsidised societies to pick up new hobbies and meet new people. It’s also a fairly modern, fast growing, but compressed city that’s easy to navigate.
Reply 4
Original post by Naivespartan
Does being a russell group member also help leed’s case here? Is loughborough a popular uni among automotive recruiters too? And Is loughborough’s social life a big negative when considering it as an option in general?

It depends, for a masters more so because your project work will likely be tied to funded research. Which means they’ll have the appropriate expertise and equipment.

I don’t know Leeds or Loughborough’s automotive industry links, but it’s typically industry who fund research. I work with both universities for non-automotive funded engineering research. I’d go to each one for different types of project work.

Take a look at what research is coming out of each university. They need to disclose the funding source for conflicts of interest purposes, so it may highlight some industry links. They’re also likely to call out the links they have on their faculty pages.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest