The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

What to do for kcl accommodation next year. Help for future students

Hello,

I’m going into my second year of studying pharmacology for guys and since being on here was helpful, I wanted to give something back. This will be about accommodation. For context, I received an email from kings telling me to register interest for accommodation which I did to late so in the end I got an email saying that I’ve been waitlisted for accommodation and as a current student, I would have no guarantee for kcl accom (keep in mind my friends were able to book as current students at the same time applications were).

I didn’t realise this was an issue till ~ 18th June. I looked for non KCL Accommodation but by then it was all sold out (at least in my budget). I started looking on spare student room for a house but I was uncomfortable with sharing a house with potential anyone (many houses had a live in landlord who were 30 years old+ but I am a 19 year old female). I decided to wait till after results day as I figured rooms would be available due to cancellations (I don’t recommend this). Luckily, there were many cancellations this year due to shambolic high grade boundaries so I was able to get the room I wanted but it was stressful as kings had no communication.

My advice
1. Decide before Christmas whether you want to stay in accommodation in general or if you want to get a house with ur friends of flat mates. If so go on right move, spare student room etc. and look for a house but don’t pay money till you’ve seen it in person.
2. If you decide you want to stay in accommodation, many non kcl accoms you can book open up in mid January so be sure to look at those and decide as it will be much less likely you’ll get kcl accommodation.
3. If you decide you want to stay in kcl accom, as soon as kcl communicates that you can book/register interest, do so immediately or you’ll regret it.
4. If you are waitlist, you can wait and hope there are cancellations after results day but keep in mind I waited on a few non kcl accoms but they had no cancellations so I wouldn’t recommend this. After results day, as a current student, you will have the lowest priority so there’s a good chance you’ll be unsuccessful. Start looking on spare student room but don’t put down a deposit or sign any contract till you’ve seen the flat in person as there are many scammers.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps someone:smile:
Reply 1
Hey! Thank you very much, I found this very helpful :smile:
I was just wondering - when did kings originally send the email to current students about accomodation? i’m currently first year and want to move back into accom for second year as the cost of private accoms / houses are shambolic - but we don’t have a guarantee? how precisely does that work?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
I'd also like to know! Thanks for posting this

Quick Reply

Latest