The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zobinho
Oh sweet, hope it went well!! Thanks a lot. Mine is towards the end of jan, quite nervous !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lots of time. Don't panic, you'll do great! :biggrin:
In the interview can they ask you questions about the "history of medicine"?
Original post by FutureMedic97
In the interview can they ask you questions about the "history of medicine"?

I guess that they could ask you things like: "What do you think has been the greatest medical advance in the past 100 years" or something like that, if that's what you mean.
Original post by usycool1
I guess that they could ask you things like: "What do you think has been the greatest medical advance in the past 100 years" or something like that, if that's what you mean.

Ooh, and we have to know about Hippocrates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1

Ahh
What about asking about famous people and what they have done to improve medicine?
Any advice for an interview at Hull (HYMS)?
Reply 586
Original post by FutureMedic97
Ahh
What about asking about famous people and what they have done to improve medicine?

that'd be quite an evil question
Original post by Jatyization
Guys I have a questions which is really confusing me about MMI interviews. I was wondering: how often should you talk about work and personal experience? For example, if a question asks 'How is organisation important in medicine?' would you possibly state and example and then discuss how you've used that example in the past.

Do you have to make it personal? Or just answer the question as straight forward as you can?

Sorry if that sounds confusing. :redface:

I will give a more generic stratagy I used and would recommend for these style of questions.

I remember what I did was give a more generic answer first and then try and relate them to my own personal experiences that way you answer their question directly but also at the same time distinguish yourself from the other candidates by adding a personal touch.

For example: If they ask how important is teamwork in medicine.
You could start by saying: Doctors have to work in Multi-Disciplinary Team, respect and value others opinions in decision making etc.....

Then take it personal and say I witnessed this from my work experience e.g when I shadowed a Nephrologist on dialysis rounds and abserved how he worked together as a team with the dietician,colleagues and most importantly integrated the patient within that team to provide the highest quality of care. Obviously you could take a bit about communication skills here aswell.

Lastly you could then talk about how YOU yourself have demonstrated teamwork qualities.
E.g I played hockey in high school for the team and saw the importance of working together,supporting one another etc.. . I.e you just wanna show them that you can also work effectively in a team aswell because believe me if your medical school has CBL/PBL or Dissections you will be working a lot in teams and you could even talk about how your teamwork skills gained will then help you become a better medical student.

Remember to not script the answer and just let the conversation flow naturally, because that way you have a more open discussion and they can as further questions to keep the conversation going.

So the routine I would recommend for these type of questions where they will ask about your personal skills e.g organisation,teamwork,leadership,work life balance etc..

1) Mention key important points.
2) Relate them to your medical work experience and eloborate
3) Give a more personal answer about YOU e.g through sports/music etc...

I hope that helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 588
Has anyone had a UCL interview ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jatyization
Oh thank you, this is fantastic! Such an in-depth and great reply. This should really help me out, its invaluable. Thanks! :smile:

How is your application going? :biggrin:

Your very welcome, it's a pleasure to help especially since I know how horrible and anxious interview preparation can be. Just remember to keep your answers simple,personal and natural.

I'm a 1st year medic at Cardiff. Please don't be afraid to ask anything else :smile:
Good luck
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hello! See this thread here for advice on Leicester interviews! We answered someone else who had the same question :smile: .

On the Birmingham Medicine website, if you scroll down to the section named 'The Interview' you'll find a link to this page (it's actually a PDF which you can download or view in your browser). It really goes in-depth, and into great detail about the different kinds of stations, and what you'll be assessed on - so definitely have a thorough read of the whole document, and try and prepare for all the types of stations mentioned by doing lots of practice!

Why not use our free interview question bank here, which has worked questions and answers.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

Your blogs isn't working

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone able to help with this ethical scenario??

"You are a genetic counsellor. One of your clients, Linda, hada boy with a genetic defect that may have a high recurrence risk, meaning hersubsequent pregnancies has a high chance of being affected by the same defect.You offered genetic testing of Linda, her husband, and their son to find outmore about their disease, to which everyone agreed. The result showed thatneither Linda nor her husband carry the mutation, while the boy inherited themutation on a paternal chromosome that did not come from Linda's husband. Inother words, the boy's biological father is someone else, who is unaware thathe carries the mutation. You suspect that Linda nor her husband are aware ofthis non-paternity. How would you disclose the results of this genetic analysisto Linda and her family? What principles and who do you have to take into considerationin this case?"

Should the information only be revealed to Linda or both her and her husband, since they have both given consent for the genetic test?
Reply 592
In terms of keeping up with medicine in the news, would reading the medicine section on the guardian website be enough? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Azula
In terms of keeping up with medicine in the news, would reading the medicine section on the guardian website be enough? Thanks :smile:

I'd like to know this too, although I read the bbc news health section (health, NHS, medicine sections) instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Your blogs isn't working

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Thanks for pointing this out! The blogs home page doesn't work but if you click on a direct link to a particular blog, you should be able to see it. Was there a specific blog you'd like to read? We can send you the link!

The Medic Portal
Original post by Bloom77
Your blogs isn't working

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi again,

Our blogs are up and running - click here!

Let us know if you need anything else,

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi again,

Our blogs are up and running - click here!

Let us know if you need anything else,

The Medic Portal

do you have any info about cardiff interviews?
thanks
Reply 597
Has anyone heard back from Exeter after their interviews about offers/rejections?
Original post by ilovecake123
do you have any info about cardiff interviews?
thanks

Hi there,

Regarding Cardiff Medicine interview, we found both the frequently asked questions page useful for broad information about the interview.

If you scroll down to the question 11, "Will I have to attend an interview and, if so, what can I expect?" it says that:

"You will be interviewed by a panel of 2 or 3 people, at least one of whom is medically qualified. We aim to have a current Year 4 medical student on each panel.

Interviews generally last 20 minutes. They provide a chance for us to explore your personal statement in greater detail and give you the chance to expand further on your experiences."

This is further elaborated on this page of the website.

It says the following:

"All applicants are expected to demonstrate, through both their personal statement and at their interview, evidence of:
-Motivation and interest in studying Medicine
-Understanding the demands of Medical training
-A caring ethos and sense of social awareness and responsibility
-Evidence of a balanced approach to life
-Interpersonal and communication skills".

So make sure you practice answering the more traditional style of question (see our free interview question bank!)!

We hope this helps & good luck!

The Medic Portal
Do people reckon that questions about the junior doctor contracts/strikes will come up in interview, or is that a forbidden topic of interview discussion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending