The Student Room Group

Travelling Europe: under £500pp?

Me and a few friends want to travell Europe but it needs to be less than £500. Is it even possible, what's the cheapest way to travel and how long in Europe would £500 get us
Reply 1
Yes it's possible.

Is the £500 including transport from Scotland?

What sort of activities are you looking at doing?
Reply 2
It would be pretty tough, you'll need to plan and book ahead to make sure you get the best prices etc. I did a month in europe with my girlfriend for £1500 each but that was staying in 3/4* hotels.
OP, it is worth considering an Interrail ticket. You can see a lot of places on a fairly low budget like that, especially if you plan night trains in order to avoid hostel nights.
Also a cheap but definitely very difficult way to plan is using carsharing such as Blablacar. Or, another cheap option are European bus tickets like eurolines offer them, or waiting till megabus have one of their crazy cheap sales on (I want from A'dam to London for 1.50)
(edited 8 years ago)
As above an interrail ticket would be your best bet, think you can get them for around. £150+ though there are limitations. The cheaper passes only allow you travel a certain number of days within it's validity, for example 5 days of travel over 15 days. Take a look at some if the offers on Google

Then you just have to research in advance some cheap (and safe) hostels in advance + food and leisure expenses. But yeah, definitely doable.
You won't get far with 500 unless you think about cost cutting ways to travel. I would recommend CouchSurfing instead of accommodation in expensive cities and then hostels for the rest. The most expensive thing will be travel.
You could stay with families. Workaway is a site where you can find jobs abroad. eg. stay with families in return for looking after the kids, doing household jobs or some farming. They do require around a 3-4 week stay though so if your looking to travel to a lot of places in a short amount of time it wouldnt really work out.
As above again this is definitely possible ! Going Interrailing with 7 other people for 15 days ish and I've managed to work out our total cost for tickets, accommodation, flights, food + everything minus spending money = £397 per person👌🏾

If you're looking for cheap accommodation, avoid hotels ! Go to Airbnb and Booking.com for cheap apartments, means you can self cater and save money on food too

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
We're travelling to Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula (Croatia) and Budapest and I reckon we won't need to spend more than £450 in total tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inter railing was a great experience for me,give it a go OP
Reply 10
Hi,
me and my friends had the same problem because we wanted to save some money for uni. Does your destination have to be in South Europe? Otherwise you could go to Estonia, Lithuania or Latvia. It is quite cheap there and you have everything: cities, nature, beaches, culture,... It is maybe not that common but these are one of the best destinations with little money. There are flights to these countries with Rainair, which cost about 50 £. :smile:
Reply 11
Travel buy Coach = SAVE

Sleep in Hostels = SAVE

Spend on delicious Food = WIN
Original post by LevelTV
Travel buy Coach = SAVE

Sleep in Hostels = SAVE

Spend on delicious Food = WIN

Sleep in Apartments = SAVE MORE (per person)

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many days you are deciding to stay over there?
I went on a budget tour around Europe for 25 days. We visited 10 countries and 22 cities. It cost me about £3000 in total. It's things like museum entries etc that add up. Let's say you pay €10 euros to enter a museum or famous tourist attraction, it doesn't sound much at the time but if you do that in each country that's €100 gone already! Even catching the bus or tram, it's only a couple of euros but if you're doing it a couple of times a day every day it soon adds up. Of course you don't have to visit the museums and you don't have to catch the bus. It all depends on what type of experience you want to have.
I'd say £500 will get you around two maybe three countries in depth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest