The Student Room Group

Traveling abroad during gap year advice

I'm a 19 year old doing a gap year right now and want to travel abroad but don't really know what to do. I was considering doing some work abroad through one of those travel sites such as BUNAC but decided against it after hearing mostly negative things about them. I've always wanted to travel to the US or Japan but I probably couldn't afford that. I've also considered buying one of those European train tickets but I've already been to a lot of places in Europe. I don't really know what to do because I want to use this experience wisely and not just go to one place for like a week and do nothing while I'm there but at the same time I have no idea how I would find some meaningful experiences aboard such as working in a foreign country for months. Does anyone have any good suggestions of semi cheap things to do abroad during a gap year and how I would find them?
Hi there,

Other than a little trip to France I didn't travel internationally during my gap year, but I looked into it. The Interrail passes in Europe aren't all that great value for money anymore, I remember when I was younger it was great stuff and saved me lots of money during some travels around Italy, but I was shocked and horrified to see that these days the Interrail pass has become more expensive and unlike years ago, you need to prebook most of your train journeys in advance. And you're charged extra for that. Might still work out cheaper, but it's worth checking for other discounts to get around in Europe as they might provide better value for money.

Going to the United States and Japan would be nice, but you're absolutely right in thinking it'd be expensive. However, that's no reason to not try. You can work and save up money and hopefully that'll be enough to take a small holiday across the pond and back! I worked during my gap year. I didn't make crazy amounts of money because I was in an evil 0-hour contract but I managed to fund several trips around the UK and the aforementioned trip to France (which included a +1), so if you have a stable job and a supportive family and focus on saving as much money as you can, it's feasible. I'd work from now until April-May and travel internationally in May-June, before the tourist high season begins, travel will be cheaper then. Plus, there are loads of discounts for young people under 21/25 out there, so wherever you go you might find things are a bit cheaper for you :smile:

Alternatively, if you want to use your experience "wisely", I'm aware that you can sometimes volunteer abroad, which would be a great experience, however I really don't know much about it other than that so you'll have to do your own research! But for the record, I think going and exploring the world is a wise and good use of your time anyway, as long as you also spent some of your time during your gap year working and doing other productive endevours - and certainly if you have to work here to fund travels I'd say that's a very wise and productive use of your time and gap year :smile:
Reply 2
Travelling in Europe is super expensive right now, if you want cheap consider going backpacking in south east Asia. Your money can go months compared to staying in France, Spain, Switzerland etc. Backpacker tours there are cheap too. If you really want to save money you could work abroad, lots of options are available.

Also BUNAC are a good company, I have friends who have gone with them. Maybe search more options on sites like gap year world to see what appeals to you. Hopefully you find something :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest