The Student Room Group

Flying alone at 16?

Hey everyone!

Next summer after GCSEs I will be 16 and want to fly to Europe by myself. I will stay with a (close) relative who will meet me at the airport, and of course I will be waved off by my parents.

I fly very often within Europe (live in the UK) and feel competent to take this flight.

My question is: what documents are required for unaccompanied minors to fly? I can book my own flight as an adult, but some sites seem to say a letter of parental consent is needed - is this true?

Has anyone done this and has any reassuring words? Just terrified of being denied entry at border control!

TIA x
Reply 1
It will vary between airlines. Check the relevant website.
Original post by Surnia
It will vary between airlines. Check the relevant website.

Yes, I know the airline will allow it, it’s more border control I’m worried about :smile:

Although I suppose if the airline allows me to fly with no additional documents, then it must be okay?
I flew alone at 16 a whiles ago (literally the second I turned 16- day after my birthday!) to visit someone, had no issues with going into Germany.
Reply 4
Original post by Guineadogpiggy
Yes, I know the airline will allow it, it’s more border control I’m worried about :smile:

Although I suppose if the airline allows me to fly with no additional documents, then it must be okay?

You can always check the gov.uk website for travel advice.
Reply 5
Original post by Guineadogpiggy
Hey everyone!

Next summer after GCSEs I will be 16 and want to fly to Europe by myself. I will stay with a (close) relative who will meet me at the airport, and of course I will be waved off by my parents.

I fly very often within Europe (live in the UK) and feel competent to take this flight.

My question is: what documents are required for unaccompanied minors to fly? I can book my own flight as an adult, but some sites seem to say a letter of parental consent is needed - is this true?

Has anyone done this and has any reassuring words? Just terrified of being denied entry at border control!

TIA x

You'll need to consider both the outward and return parts of the journey.

Airlines have different policies -- so you'll need to check to see what they are.

You'll need to check the rules for minors entering the country you're going to, to see whether they need a letter from your parents. This might need to identify the person you're staying with, and it's possible there would be a requirement that they collect you at the airport.

You'll also need to check whether there would be issues checking in on your trip back to the UK. The country that you're leaving might have its own requirements on under-18 leaving unaccompanied.

If you're not flying direct (e.g. if you're having to change planes en route) there might be more complications.

What country are you planning to fly to, and is it somewhere you can go without needing a visa?
Original post by martin7
You'll need to consider both the outward and return parts of the journey.

Airlines have different policies -- so you'll need to check to see what they are.

You'll need to check the rules for minors entering the country you're going to, to see whether they need a letter from your parents. This might need to identify the person you're staying with, and it's possible there would be a requirement that they collect you at the airport.

You'll also need to check whether there would be issues checking in on your trip back to the UK. The country that you're leaving might have its own requirements on under-18 leaving unaccompanied.

If you're not flying direct (e.g. if you're having to change planes en route) there might be more complications.

What country are you planning to fly to, and is it somewhere you can go without needing a visa?

thanks so much for everyone’s replies 🙂

will have a good look, I’m surprised at how elusive the exact requirements for each country are lol

I should be flying directly into Switzerland if all goes well so no visa needed
Reply 7
As you correctly noted, here you need to look at the rules of a particular company, but from myself I can only advise you not to spare the money and make a good insurance, all such with it always have problems, this I say in my experience, I personally can advise you and here Globelink to look at any option, it is a British company, which is more than 27 years, and you can trust them for sure

Quick Reply

Latest