The Student Room Group

Does it matter for 2nd order ODEs for b^2 - 4ac >0, which way the constants are?

i.e. getting a and b different to what mark schemes say etc.

I am fairly sure it doesn't make a difference, just want reassurance.

Also what is meant by the term "arbitrary constants" is that simply constants that do not change?
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
i.e. getting a and b different to what mark schemes say etc.

I am fairly sure it doesn't make a difference, just want reassurance.

Also what is meant by the term "arbitrary constants" is that simply constants that do not change?

Do you mean A and B?
You need to have a, b and c the same(at least they have to have the same ratios).
Your A and B can be different to what the mark-scheme says. One example is if you use the opposite symbols to the mark-scheme(ie your A is their B and vice versa). This is fine because they're just symbols, you can use Γ\Gamma if you want. Another example is if you get a slightly different (correct) particular solution to them.
Arbitrary constants are just constants that can take any value but are fixed for any set of initial conditions(they're fixed at some arbitrary value).
Original post by morgan8002
Do you mean A and B?
You need to have a, b and c the same(at least they have to have the same ratios).
Your A and B can be different to what the mark-scheme says. One example is if you use the opposite symbols to the mark-scheme(ie your A is their B and vice versa). This is fine because they're just symbols, you can use Γ\Gamma if you want. Another example is if you get a slightly different (correct) particular solution to them.
Arbitrary constants are just constants that can take any value but are fixed for any set of initial conditions(they're fixed at some arbitrary value).

As in m1 and m2, so what the exponential is being raised to. For general solutions I am sure that A and B are always fixed.

So arbitrary constants will exist for 2nd order DE's but not for 1st order DE's?

Thank you for your reply :smile:

That makes more sense.
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
As in m1 and m2, so what the exponential is being raised to. For general solutions I am sure that A and B are always fixed.

So arbitrary constants will exist for 2nd order DE's but not for 1st order DE's?

Thank you for your reply :smile:

That makes more sense.

We need to be clearer on what we mean by all of these symbols. In line with convention, I use a, b and c as the coefficients of the equation(ad2ydx2+bdydx+cy=f(x)a\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} + b\frac{dy}{dx} + cy = f(x)). I use A and B as the arbitrary constants in the complementary function, m1,m2m_1, m_2 as the roots of the auxiliary equation, so for the case you've given(b^2-4ac>0) the complementary function is Aem1x+Bem2xAe^{m_1 x} + Be^{m_2x}.
A and B are not fixed for the general solution. They are only fixed for a particular solution. a, b, c, m1,m2m_1, m_2 are fixed in the general solution however.

Arbitrary constants exist for differential equations of any order. 1st order ones will have 1(A or c usually) and 2nd order ones will have 2(A and B or ϕ\phi and A usually) etc..
Original post by morgan8002
We need to be clearer on what we mean by all of these symbols. In line with convention, I use a, b and c as the coefficients of the equation(ad2ydx2+bdydx+cy=f(x)a\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} + b\frac{dy}{dx} + cy = f(x)). I use A and B as the arbitrary constants in the complementary function, m1,m2m_1, m_2 as the roots of the auxiliary equation, so for the case you've given(b^2-4ac>0) the complementary function is Aem1x+Bem2xAe^{m_1 x} + Be^{m_2x}.
A and B are not fixed for the general solution. They are only fixed for a particular solution. a, b, c, m1,m2m_1, m_2 are fixed in the general solution however.

Arbitrary constants exist for differential equations of any order. 1st order ones will have 1(A or c usually) and 2nd order ones will have 2(A and B or ϕ\phi and A usually) etc..

Yes of course!

Thank you, I forgot about the constacnt c for 1st ODE's.

PRSOM.
quite often α & ß are used as the roots of the Auxiliary Equation.
Original post by the bear
quite often α & ß are used as the roots of the Auxiliary Equation.

oh right, just using what edexcel use.

Quick Reply

Latest