The Student Room Group

Self teaching further maths AS and Economics AS

How hard would it be for me to teach myself the further maths and economics as over the summer holidays 2016. If i was to do this how would i do it and what would be good resources????????
Reply 1
Tutor 2U and economicsonline.co.uk are helpful websites for economics.

For further maths I suggest you get yourself some relevant textbooks and do all the past papers you can get your hands on.

Depending on how quickly you can understand new theories and apply them using diagrams will determine how good you are at economics. Maths will depend on what your other AS Level options are: for example it is relatively easy to do M1 if you have done physics AS. As someone who hasn't don't physics but is taking A2 Further Maths, I'm struggling with the further mechanics modules (M2&M3) because I don't understand the concepts behind them and I absolutely hated statistics last year because it doesn't feel like proper maths to me as there isn't necessarily a definitive answer, though others in my class loved it. I'm assuming that by self teaching AS further maths that you are being taught AS Maths and that this is as an addition. Not sure I would recommend trying to teach yourself both as there are 6 modules in total (for my spec anyway).

Hope this is helpful :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by c_98
Tutor 2U and economicsonline.co.uk are helpful websites for economics.

For further maths I suggest you get yourself some relevant textbooks and do all the past papers you can get your hands on.

Depending on how quickly you can understand new theories and apply them using diagrams will determine how good you are at economics. Maths will depend on what your other AS Level options are: for example it is relatively easy to do M1 if you have done physics AS. As someone who hasn't don't physics but is taking A2 Further Maths, I'm struggling with the further mechanics modules (M2&M3) because I don't understand the concepts behind them and I absolutely hated statistics last year because it doesn't feel like proper maths to me as there isn't necessarily a definitive answer, though others in my class loved it. I'm assuming that by self teaching AS further maths that you are being taught AS Maths and that this is as an addition. Not sure I would recommend trying to teach yourself both as there are 6 modules in total (for my spec anyway).

Hope this is helpful :smile:

Thank you thats really helpful. Do you know any people who have managed to teach themselves any one of these AS' over the summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest