The Student Room Group

AS Level further Maths

How hard is doing AS level further mathematics alongside maths physics and economics in year 13
Original post by JG23
How hard is doing AS level further mathematics alongside maths physics and economics in year 13

I'm currently doing my exams (further stats paper tomorrow!) and I've taken maths, physics, music and further maths AS. It's been quite a bit of work but I was lucky to get to join the year 12 further stats class and get one to one help with self teaching the core pure and mechanics. I don't know how you'd be learning it but even in my case with having to do an awful lot of independent learning of the course, it's not been too bad at all! It is a massive help with making some parts of regular maths and physics feel nice and easy too...
Not bad, depending on which modules are picked in further maths then it may relate quite closely to physics. However maths will definitely help.
If you are getting A's/B's in maths in AS currently (or similar) then you should be fine.

I do warn however, AS fmaths may not be helpful for getting into university so it depends if you want to 'waste' time over mastering the other three. What are you planning for after yr13?
Reply 3
Original post by GiftedDipstick
I'm currently doing my exams (further stats paper tomorrow!) and I've taken maths, physics, music and further maths AS. It's been quite a bit of work but I was lucky to get to join the year 12 further stats class and get one to one help with self teaching the core pure and mechanics. I don't know how you'd be learning it but even in my case with having to do an awful lot of independent learning of the course, it's not been too bad at all! It is a massive help with making some parts of regular maths and physics feel nice and easy too...

it would be in a lesson, taught by a teacher which is nice, i hope the exams went well!!
Reply 4
Original post by OnlyTheQuack
Not bad, depending on which modules are picked in further maths then it may relate quite closely to physics. However maths will definitely help.
If you are getting A's/B's in maths in AS currently (or similar) then you should be fine.

I do warn however, AS fmaths may not be helpful for getting into university so it depends if you want to 'waste' time over mastering the other three. What are you planning for after yr13?

Aerospace Engineering which i know does not require FM at all however i am very very interested in mathematics and love the subject and am working at an A* and i also take physics aswell. i have said to myself however if i notice a decline in any other grades due to FM then I will have to most likely drop it, which is just why i was interested in the general hardness of it.
Original post by JG23
Aerospace Engineering which i know does not require FM at all however i am very very interested in mathematics and love the subject and am working at an A* and i also take physics aswell. i have said to myself however if i notice a decline in any other grades due to FM then I will have to most likely drop it, which is just why i was interested in the general hardness of it.

It may not be needed but it will be very helpful in your course! You might even get to 'breeze through' some lectures because you already get the content! I would definitely recommend it but you're idea is correct- A levels matter most!
Reply 6
Original post by OnlyTheQuack
It may not be needed but it will be very helpful in your course! You might even get to 'breeze through' some lectures because you already get the content! I would definitely recommend it but you're idea is correct- A levels matter most!

ill go ahead with it, thank you for your advice!!

Quick Reply

Latest