The Student Room Group

Starting to run

So basically Ive decided enough is enough and Im running. My diet is ok, but I have terrible fitness. I started unable to run for 10 mins without walking. My first 3km took 42:31mins. Im now able to do 2.8km in 20mins, so not bad for 2 months work. I was wondering where to go from here. I want to acheive an 8min mile, and 5km non stop. Whats the best way to get to this stage? (Atm I just run for 20 mins and see how far I can go)
Reply 1
Original post by tepeon
So basically Ive decided enough is enough and Im running. My diet is ok, but I have terrible fitness. I started unable to run for 10 mins without walking. My first 3km took 42:31mins. Im now able to do 2.8km in 20mins, so not bad for 2 months work. I was wondering where to go from here. I want to acheive an 8min mile, and 5km non stop. Whats the best way to get to this stage? (Atm I just run for 20 mins and see how far I can go)

Nice progress what you should do is run regularly and keep practicing what i did was i signed up for a mini marathon (5km) for race for life and when you are running with other people you get a huge boost and i ended up not noticing that i finished within 28 minutes
I would start increasing the length of time you run for little by little. You say you can run for 20 min, so try pushing on to 22 min each time for a few runs, then increase it every week or so by a few mins. I'd aim for 30 and see how far you've managed. If it's less than 5k I would keep at 30 min and as you get fitter and faster you should find you can soon run 5k in 30 or under.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you can run around 3k in 20 mins I would find a 4k route and run it a few times, then a 5k route and run it a few times... won't be hard to complete a 5k from 3k

for the speed, you probably wanna do some speed training, e.g. hill sprints, intervals, fartleks etc, doing some longer runs will help too as then a 1 mile effort will be far from your maximum
That is good progress. Every month & a half you could add an extra 1k to your distance. You should also try diversifying your workout a bit more so your body doesn't get acclimatised. Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply

Latest