The Student Room Group

GE 2020 polling: Con, 50 seat majority. Lab, down 19. UKIP, +0.7%, 1 seat.

http://ukgeneralelection2020.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/list-of-predicted-seat-changes.html

UKIP: 13.6% of the popular vote, and only one seat. Even Plaid Cymru, with 0.6% of the vote, get a seat. The SNP, unchanged on 4.9%, retain 56 seats. Farcical.

Can you imagine how different Parliament would be with 80+ UKIP MPs under PR? You may dislike the outcome, but rest assured they'd all be arguing against Syrian air strikes right now. There'd also be a dissenting voice against the basket case liberal multiculturalism agenda, which has universal support currently.
(edited 8 years ago)
We would be better off with more UKIP presence and less leftwing trash such as Corbyn.
Reply 2
Labour absolutely BTFO
Original post by TunaTunnel
We would be better off with more UKIP presence and less leftwing trash such as Corbyn.

I wouldn't say that the average UKIP MP is all that much better than 'leftwing trash.'
Original post by Hydeman
I wouldn't say that the average UKIP MP is all that much better than 'leftwing trash.'

They probably wouldnt try and negotiate with ISIS through talks lol
Original post by TunaTunnel
They probably wouldnt try and negotiate with ISIS through talks lol

True. :wink: But they'd probably have all sorts of socially conservative views that would put me off voting for them if I actually thought they could win in my seat.
Original post by Hydeman
True. :wink: But they'd probably have all sorts of socially conservative views that would put me off voting for them if I actually thought they could win in my seat.

I find it highly ironic a party with an LGBT wing and tons of female candidates is being accused of 'conservative' attitudes (like its some sort of pejorative), while The Labour Party, and a great swathe of the left-wing, including the establishment, actively supports 'multicultural' religious conservatism in the form of Islam.

Heck, just yesterday we witnessed Labour Party officials appealing to an audience segregated along gender lines in Oldham!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheCitizenAct
I find it highly ironic a party with an LGBT wing and tons of female candidates is being accused of 'conservative' attitudes (like its some sort of pejorative), while The Labour Party, and a great swathe of the left-wing, including the establishment, actively supports 'multicultural' religious conservatism in the form of Islam.

Heck, just yesterday we witnessed Labour Party officials appealing to an audience segregated along gender lines in Oldham!

I don't like the Labour Party either. :tongue: Elections are more of an exercise in choosing the candidate I dislike the least.

Having an LGBT wing doesn't change the fact that UKIP opposed marriage equality until it was legalised, at which point they proceeded to make a spectacular, undisguised U-turn.
Reply 8
Until Corbyn is gone and there is a less ideological, more realistic, leader then I won't even consider Labour. I'm not a fan of any party so it comes down to which party I dislike the most and currently that's labour so such results don't surprise me.

We can thank the conservatives for getting Corbyn elected as leader, and it's no surprise as to why. Personally, it's a shame what happened to LD but i'd rather shift to the right than the left
Original post by Hydeman
I don't like the Labour Party either. :tongue: Elections are more of an exercise in choosing the candidate I dislike the least.

Having an LGBT wing doesn't change the fact that UKIP opposed marriage equality until it was legalised, at which point they proceeded to make a spectacular, undisguised U-turn.

Many LGBT people opposed SSM, and for a wide range of reasons - as did 40% of Ireland, despite the yes campaign being backed financially by a huge American gay lobby, and everyone being labelled, by default, a homophobe, for expressing opposition on a 'deeply personal' issue which had been politicised beyond all recognition in the name of 'tolerance', and largely for the purposes of accruing political capital.

I don't see what's 'conservative' (in the ideological, as opposed to literal, sense) about that? The left has a very long tradition of opposing homosexuality and condoning paedophilia. This is identity politics, not conservatism. The ironic part is it's a 'conservative' party which pushed SSM through, and it's the modern left which is developing a tradition of adopting socially conservative values in its recently adopted inclination to ban everything it happens to disagree with, on the pretext of 'offence' (similar to REAL social conservatives in the 60's).

I also find it bizarre you are lambasting UKIP as 'socially conservative' while ignoring the far more 'conservative' actions being supported, by the left, in the name of 'progressivism.'
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheCitizenAct
I don't see what's 'conservative' (in the ideological, as opposed to literal, sense) about that? The left has a very long tradition of opposing homosexuality and condoning paedophilia. This is identity politics, not conservatism. The ironic part is it's a 'conservative' party which pushed SSM through, and it's the modern left which is developing a tradition of adopting socially conservative values in its recently adopted inclination to ban everything it happens to disagree with, on the pretext of 'offence' (similar to REAL social conservatives in the 60's).

The highlighted section is, at best, being economical with the truth. The parliamentary Conservative Party voted against the marriage equality bill 136-127 on the day. It passed with a large majority, largely with the help of the hated Labour Party, which voted 217-22 in favour.

The grounds on which UKIP and other people opposed it in the weeks leading up to the vote were thoroughly conservative in that they were all different ways of saying, 'we want to conserve the heterosexual monopoly on marriage' or 'marriage has always been between a man and a woman so it must always remain that way' (or, occasionally, that other argumentative gem: 'there's very little demand for it').

I don't see why it's difficult to see the link between social conservatism and opposition to marriage equality.

I also find it bizarre you are lambasting UKIP as 'socially conservative' while ignoring the far more 'conservative' actions being supported, by the left, in the name of 'progressivism.'

Just because I haven't criticised the left on this one particular thread doesn't mean I'm ignoring their actions. Nor am I lambasting UKIP, as such; I simply mentioned why I wouldn't vote for the UKIP candidate (if it was the usual kind of UKIP person) if I thought they had a chance of winning in my seat. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending