The Student Room Group

University of Nicosia Medical School 2020 entry

Hi

I just got an offer from the University of Nicosia in Cyprus to start this October and was wondering if anyone else on here has applied/thinking of applying/gotten an offer?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, Congratulations on your offer, I am considering the course. When did you have your interview? Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by JemJem123
Hi, Congratulations on your offer, I am considering the course. When did you have your interview? Thanks

I had an online video interview on the 28th of January, and the offer actually came through on the 8th of February ("just got an offer" was a bit misleading sorry).
Reply 3

Are you a UK student? Post A-level application or school leaver? Sorry I'm just excited to talk to someone else interested since nearly no one I talk to has heard of the medical school.
Original post by kktrian
I had an online video interview on the 28th of January, and the offer actually came through on the 8th of February ("just got an offer" was a bit misleading sorry).

That’s quite quick. How long have they given you to accept offer? I’m considering here plus Malta.
Original post by kktrian
Are you a UK student? Post A-level application or school leaver? Sorry I'm just excited to talk to someone else interested since nearly no one I talk to has heard of the medical school.

I’m a uk student but holding no offers. Taking A levels later this year. Still can’t make my mind up about Cyprus...it’s so far! Are you going to accept?
Reply 6
I’m a uk student but holding no offers. Taking A levels later this year. Still can’t make my mind up about Cyprus...it’s so far! Are you going to accept?

Same I'm in year 13 with no uk offers (as of yet, still waiting for Cardiff and BSMS). I accepted on Saturday but my deadline was tomorrow (20th). I'm just not feeling confident about getting a uk offer, also it's an ABB offer so I'm using it as a backup in case I don't make the AAA grades.
Reply 7
That’s quite quick. How long have they given you to accept offer? I’m considering here plus Malta.

I never considered Malta... I started looking for applying abroad around Christmas and Cyprus appealed the most to me because I'm half Greek and can speak the language. Also it was one of the few uni's that didn't need additional entrance exams. What's the procedure for Malta?
That’s exactly how I feel. Clearing is a possible option. Malta is interview only and grades required are AAB. It’s also cheaper and a shorter course than Cyprus.
(edited 4 years ago)
That’s exactly how I feel. Clearing is a possible option. Malta is interview only and grades required are AAB. It’s also cheaper and a shorter course than Cyprus.

By Malta, do you mean QMUL (Barts) Malta? I have applied there too. If you have to choose between UNIC and QMUL Malta, which one would you pick? I have to choose and am leaning towards QMUL Malta
Reply 10

Nice, though I think the Cyprus course is 6 years as you get a Biomedical Science degree after the first 4 years (I think it's split into pre-clinical and clinical years like Oxford)
Original post by kktrian

What was the interview like? What questions do they ask etc if you don't mind me asking
Reply 12
Original post by ihavealithp
What was the interview like? What questions do they ask etc if you don't mind me asking

It was quite relaxed but meant to replicate the style of MMIs. I only had one interviewer, he would ask me the question and then I would have a few minutes to answer (I think it was 5 but you don't have to use up the whole time). He would wave a hand when you only had 30 seconds left. The questions were typical for medicine, based around motivations for doing it, past experience, teamwork skills etc. They send you a guidance list on what might come up when they invite you.
Nothing surprised me or threw me off. Your responses are recorded and sent to other assesors, and you can have a few seconds between questions to clear your head whilst the camera isn't recording.
Hope that was helpful, honestly don't worry about it. Have you gotten an invitation?
Hi! I just got an offer too but I'm still not sure whether to accept it or not. There are other universities I want to apply to in Europe and since I'm still not 100% about the uni sure I don't know if I'm willing to pay the tuition deposit to secure my place. On the other hand, it's a safe choice to have in case I don't get in anywhere else. Are you going to accept it?
Reply 14
Original post by sosol1234
Hi! I just got an offer too but I'm still not sure whether to accept it or not. There are other universities I want to apply to in Europe and since I'm still not 100% about the uni sure I don't know if I'm willing to pay the tuition deposit to secure my place. On the other hand, it's a safe choice to have in case I don't get in anywhere else. Are you going to accept it?

Yeah I have accepted and paid the deposit as I wanted to secure my place and I have no other offers. I've also applied through UCAS Extra to see if I can maybe get a UK offer this year, though I'm not sure which I'd choose if I did. Are you a UK student?
Ok I think I will probably do the same, because it looks like a pretty good choice. I'm not a UK student, but I originally wanted to study in the UK but I didnt get any offers. UCAS extra is that an option to add another university choice if you didnt get accepted anywhere else?
Reply 16
Original post by sosol1234
Ok I think I will probably do the same, because it looks like a pretty good choice. I'm not a UK student, but I originally wanted to study in the UK but I didnt get any offers. UCAS extra is that an option to add another university choice if you didnt get accepted anywhere else?

Yeah basically
Hey guys :smile:
My name is Habib and i am a 4th year MD at university of Nicosia. I did my bachelors degree at Coventry Uni in the UK and moved to Cyprus for Medicine.

I had some free time due to the COVID lockdown so i thought i'd come on here and find students who want to study at UNIC and answer any questions :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions and i am more than happy to answer them.
Hi Habib, would you recommend it and why?
Hey :smile:
So yes, i would definitely recommend it.

When i came 4 years ago i was definitely skeptical, i wasn't sure what i was getting myself into. However, i can safely say now that i do not regret a singe decision i made.
The doctors, professors, facilities, library - everything is what you would want it to be in a medical school. Could there be improvements in certain professors? yes, but what university doesn't need improvements.

The anatomy lab has enough cadavers for everyone and if not they split the groups to the according sizes. The clinical labs where we practice OSCEs is really good. The way they programme is designed - the first 3.5 years being 80% lecture/tutorial/PBL based and 20% being clinical practice. Then the shift to 4th year + where its 95% clinical is really good. Even the 20% clinical in years 1-3 are so good - you technically learn all the different kinds of clinical examinations.

Year 1 is a bit boring because it is bio, chem, physics etc.. so you just have to push through that - its mainly there to filter those who won't be able to deal with the pressure.
Our first graduating cohort is this year and if there are any updates i will let you know :smile:

If you have any specific questions, do let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending