The Student Room Group

Books on classical geometry

Does anyone know a good book on classical geometry, preferably with lots of explanations and problems.
Original post by The OP
Does anyone know a good book on classical geometry, preferably with lots of explanations and problems.

What level?

'Crossing the bridge' by Gerry Leversha starts from the beginning and builds up - its recommended at UKMT summer schools.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What level?

'Crossing the bridge' by Gerry Leversha starts from the beginning and builds up - its recommended at UKMT summer schools.
First year undergraduate. Thanks, I'll search that up.
Original post by The OP
First year undergraduate. Thanks, I'll search that up.

Look in the uni library too - there will be older books.

'Crossing the bridge' is aimed at anyone with no knowledge of classical geometry so might be too simple?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Look in the uni library too - there will be older books.

'Crossing the bridge' is aimed at anyone with no knowledge of classical geometry so might be too simple?
I don't know. Sounds like what I need to be honest. I'm hopeless when it comes to geometry. xD
Original post by The OP

One approach might be to look out the old textbooks that used to teach this material to our ancestors. I have on my shelf some books that I inherited from my father: "Conic Sections" and "Solid Geometry" by C. Smith; "Coordinate Geometry" by Loney; "Projective Geometry" by Filon; "Projective Geometry" by Durell. I do occasionally use these books to look things up and they seem well written (if a little dry) to me. Some of these are available in re-print editions.

A second approach would be one of the modern introductions such as this one from I.E. Leonard et al. It seems to be aimed at about the level you're interested in. I can't give it a recommendation simply as I haven't seen it myself...but Wiley's page has a lot of preview material that would help you to decide.
Reply 6
Original post by Gregorius
One approach might be to look out the old textbooks that used to teach this material to our ancestors. I have on my shelf some books that I inherited from my father: "Conic Sections" and "Solid Geometry" by C. Smith; "Coordinate Geometry" by Loney; "Projective Geometry" by Filon; "Projective Geometry" by Durell. I do occasionally use these books to look things up and they seem well written (if a little dry) to me. Some of these are available in re-print editions.

A second approach would be one of the modern introductions such as this one from I.E. Leonard et al. It seems to be aimed at about the level you're interested in. I can't give it a recommendation simply as I haven't seen it myself...but Wiley's page has a lot of preview material that would help you to decide.
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest