The Student Room Group

What are the Most Likely Topics to come up ????

I am resitting Gcse Edexcel Higher Maths as a Private Candiate and i HAVE to get a GRADE 5.What Topics are most likely to come on this paper in May 2018.I have ordered the edexcel revision books,but what is likely to come up and specfically focus on as i am terrible at maths.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Melancholy
Maths.

Yes
Maths.
Everything?
Reply 4
maffs
Reply 5
Original post by AddQ7
maffs

Yeah Maths
Maths.
Original post by Ty457
I am resitting Gcse Edexcel Higher Maths as a Private Candiate and i HAVE to get a GRADE 5.What Topics are most likely to come on this paper in May 2018.I have ordered the edexcel revision books,but what is likely to come up and specfically focus on as i am terrible at maths.

Literally everything that is in your revision book is likely to appear on one of your 3 papers but remember that to get a 5 needs substantially less than half marks so you don't need to know it all. Concentrate on consolidating what you are good st already and revise some topics that seem easy to learn. If there is a topic area you really suck at then forget it and concentrate on the easiest improvement areas
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
Literally everything that is in your revision book is likely to appear on one of your 3 papers but remember that to get a 5 needs substantially less than half marks so you don't need to know it all. Concentrate on consolidating what you are good st already and revise some topics that seem easy to learn. If there is a topic area you really suck at then forget it and concentrate on the easiest improvement areas

I am terrible at Maths mate....Even the basic things trouble me.Should i just target the Grade 4/5/6 Questions.What Topics do i focus on though extra or put more importance towards in the Revision book to get that Grade 5.Algebra,Geometry,Number,Ratio,Pythagoras etc
(edited 6 years ago)
Maths.
Reply 10
Maths.

Yes why do you keep asking that ?
Maths.
Maths.
Maths.

Maths.

Spoiler

Maths.
Reply 15
.shtaM
Original post by Ty457

this site gives clearly targeted grade level practice:

https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/
Original post by Ty457
I am terrible at Maths mate....Even the basic things trouble me.Should i just target the Grade 4/5/6 Questions.What Topics do i focus on though extra or put more importance towards in the Revision book to get that Grade 5.Algebra,Geometry,Number,Ratio,Pythagoras etc

No ... don't "just target" those. If you do, you'll need to get pretty much 100% on them to achieve your required grade.

You need to be solid on them ... and to be prepared to tackle the questions higher up.

Have a look at the past papers and the model papers which they put out last year. See how the papers are structured. They have graduated difficulty. You need to be in a position to work quickly and confidently through the first half of the paper, not giving away marks unnecessarily.

Have a look at the mark schemes, see what the marks are awarded for, and practice answering the questions in a way that will enable you to pick up full marks, or nearly full marks, on the early questions.

Then think about how you approach the remaining questions. Even if you can't work them through to a final answer, there are method marks that you can pick up. If you can show some relevant working, it's worth something. If there's a probability question, draw a probability tree and write in the probabilities. If there's a geometry question with a trapezium in it, if you think it requires you to calculate the area then write down the trapezium formula and substitute in the numerical values you have. Even if finding the area isn't an end to the question and you don't know what to do next, there's a method mark or two in what you've done already.
I would have thought some Maths would come up involving Algebra.
Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest