The Student Room Group

Classics a level

Hey,
Can anyone tell me what classics a level is like?
And what jobs is classics good for other than law and medicine?
Original post by abby.212
Hey,
Can anyone tell me what classics a level is like?
And what jobs is classics good for other than law and medicine?

Politics and foreign service
When I did Classics A Level (quite a while ago) it was composed of three sort of "areas" of study.

You had epic poetry, tragedy (plays), and art & architecture.

____

For epic poetry we studied two books -

One was Homer's The Odyssey which is an ancient Greek book about Odysseus (A Greek hero) trying to get home after having been at the Trojan War. He has many adventures along the way and meets all sort of mythological creatures and different people, etc.

The other was Virgil's The Aeneid, which is a Roman book about Aeneas, a Trojan hero, who leaves Troy after the war and heads off to Italy and ends up founding Rome.

____

For tragedy we studied a few plays. I forget all of them - I know we did Oedipus, Medea, and Electra but I forget if there were any more.

_____

For art & architecture we studied some temples, some statues, and some pots / vases
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you!
As for your other question about jobs :

museum curator
teacher / tutor
archivist
heritage manager
tour guide

lots of stuff really - Classics has a lot of transferrable skills.

I'm doing a Classical Studies degree at the moment.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
It sounds good, thank you
How about architecture? Would it be useful for that seeing as its a topic within it or does it not really help get you into that industry?
Well you would probably need a degree in architecture for that, but having Classical Civilisation as an A Level is fine.
It's good for any job, as much as as any other A-level is (which is, not very, because employers don't really care what you studied at A-level and what you study at A-level usually has little bearing on what you end up working as). Also it's not relevant or related to either law or medicine; there may be some claim that the classical languages have some relation to those areas, however it's very tenuous and classical civilisation at A-level does not include study of the languages (which are separate A-levels).

If you want to be an architect, as above you need to do an architecture degree. Most architecture courses in the UK require or prefer A-level Art or a similar creative arts subject and will require a creative portfolio on application. Two (Bath and Strathclyde) also require physics or maths at A-level - but they are very much the exceptions. An architecture degree is mostly an applied arts degree in most UK unis hence that general perspective in what they require for preparation for the degree. Classical civ at A-level is neither better nor worse than any other subject provided you are doing a creative subject; the essay writing background may be useful for some courses which emphasise more essay writing (i.e. Cambridge as I understand it).

So, if it's what you're interested in, take it! It won't disadvantage you in any particular way, unless you know you want to study e.g. physics at uni in which case you need to make sure you're already studying the required subjects for that beforehand. Most degrees outside of STEM fields don't have any required subjects though :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you!
Original post by artful_lounger
It's good for any job, as much as as any other A-level is (which is, not very, because employers don't really care what you studied at A-level and what you study at A-level usually has little bearing on what you end up working as). Also it's not relevant or related to either law or medicine; there may be some claim that the classical languages have some relation to those areas, however it's very tenuous and classical civilisation at A-level does not include study of the languages (which are separate A-levels).

If you want to be an architect, as above you need to do an architecture degree. Most architecture courses in the UK require or prefer A-level Art or a similar creative arts subject and will require a creative portfolio on application. Two (Bath and Strathclyde) also require physics or maths at A-level - but they are very much the exceptions. An architecture degree is mostly an applied arts degree in most UK unis hence that general perspective in what they require for preparation for the degree. Classical civ at A-level is neither better nor worse than any other subject provided you are doing a creative subject; the essay writing background may be useful for some courses which emphasise more essay writing (i.e. Cambridge as I understand it).

So, if it's what you're interested in, take it! It won't disadvantage you in any particular way, unless you know you want to study e.g. physics at uni in which case you need to make sure you're already studying the required subjects for that beforehand. Most degrees outside of STEM fields don't have any required subjects though :smile:

Thank you! That’s so helpful :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, I am new here but I really want to become an architect in the field of interior architecture and design.
I know some university do that course but does Cambridge uni do that?
I also don’t understand the difference of Ba(hons) and also MEng it’s confusing!!
And what type of degree what u need to do
I’m going into sixth form soon and I have picked a-level art and design, history and classic civilisation. please tell if this is good in anyway!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending