The Student Room Group

Any books that you hated?

As the title says - what is a book you hated? Popular or unpopular, and why?

For me it was Glass Sword, the secomd Red Queen book. I liked the first, the concept was good and enjoyable but by the second the mc had become INSUFFERABLE. She felt no remorse or guilt for what she did, but she'd always go on about her tough life and how she loses every other character. But gets over it? Also I felt no chemistry to either of the love interests - I'm not a love triangle person but both of them were boring.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by study23!
As the title says - what is a book you hated? Popular or unpopular, and why?

For me it was Glass Sword, the secomd Red Queen book. I liked the first, the concept was good and enjoyable but by the second the mc had become INSUFFERABLE. She felt no remorse or guilt for what she did, but she'd always go on about her tough life and how she loses every other character. But gets over it? Also I felt no chemistry to either of the love interests - I'm not a love triangle person but both of them were boring.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Utterly boring and it paints Healthcliff as a very dodgy, clingy, and self obsessed madman. Catherine intends to marry to her cousin despite having feelings for Heathcliff - made absolutely no sense and sounds toxic (even for people at the time). I can say this because I read Victorian fiction and the classics.

Shakespeare managed to keep me awake for longer than the above book.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Utterly boring and it paints Healthcliff as a very dodgy, clingy, and self obsessed madman. Catherine intends to marry to her cousin despite having feelings for Heathcliff - made absolutely no sense and sounds toxic (even for people at the time). I can say this because I read Victorian fiction and the classics.

Shakespeare managed to keep me awake for longer than the above book.

Ironically enough I’m listening to Kate Bush Wuthering Heights song reading this 😂

That was one of those on my tbr to introduce me to classics, but by what you said maybe it’s not a good one to start with
I hate pulp fictions in general. The books of Rosamunde Pilcher are an example for it. When I read books, the have to be good ones.
Reply 4
The worst book I've read is called The Day My Bum Went Psycho i got it from the school library and I got nightmares from the part where a guys bum is on his head and his face is on his bum so he has to poo through his mouth
Ironically enough I’m listening to Kate Bush Wuthering Heights song reading this 😂

That was one of those on my tbr to introduce me to classics, but by what you said maybe it’s not a good one to start with

Well still a more plausible plot than say The Notebook.

Are there any classics in particular that you want to look into? Some are actually decent.
Reply 6
Original post by MindMax2000
Well still a more plausible plot than say The Notebook.

Are there any classics in particular that you want to look into? Some are actually decent.

I’ve just started reading the picture of Dorian grey, only two chapters in so not too sure what to make of it.

I tried pride and prejudice few years ago but there were so many sisters with similar names I gave up in one chapter 😂 so if it’s good I’ll have to try again.

Otherwise I’m pretty open, I’d like to expand my reading genre which is why I’d like to read some classics. I have Jane Eyre so that mighty be my next one
I’ve just started reading the picture of Dorian grey, only two chapters in so not too sure what to make of it.

I tried pride and prejudice few years ago but there were so many sisters with similar names I gave up in one chapter 😂 so if it’s good I’ll have to try again.

Otherwise I’m pretty open, I’d like to expand my reading genre which is why I’d like to read some classics. I have Jane Eyre so that mighty be my next one

If you're into the romantic classics, then most things by Jane Austen tend to be a safe bet.

Oscar Wilde tend to be good. I've been meaning to read Dorian Grey.

I have books for Moby ****, a few gothic works, and Sherlock Holmes books to look into.
So so many. Fifty Shades of Grey is one I can't stand. Aside from being badly written it has misled the general public on where the lines are between abuse and kink. Christian Grey would be blacklisted in real life BDSM communities.
(edited 3 months ago)
Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Worst books ever. The way the characters talk doesn't feel natural. Their vocabulary is harder to understand than the Shakespearean language. John Green's books are supposed to make you cry, but the writing took away any emotion I was supposed to feel. Teens don't act like teens in his books.
Reply 10
E=MC2 by Brian Cox. Mostly because of the infantilising, condescending tone. There's a lesson to be leaned in there for popsci writers - treat your audiences with respect rather than with kid gloves.

I hated Lord of the Rings and only finished the thing because I'm a bit of a completionist. That's always a controversial one when I bring it up.
Reply 11
Original post by NazifaNawer
Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Worst books ever. The way the characters talk doesn't feel natural. Their vocabulary is harder to understand than the Shakespearean language. John Green's books are supposed to make you cry, but the writing took away any emotion I was supposed to feel. Teens don't act like teens in his books.

Interesting, I’ve never heard anyone speak badly of his books. I’ve only ever read Fault In Our Stars, which I didn’t hate but thought was definitely overhyped! As you said the teens didn’t feel like teens (I have yet to meet a boy who pretends to smoke as a metaphor for life) and although I did cry and I’d probably rate it about 2.5-3 stars, everyone does go on about how groundbreaking they are. Probably won’t read Looking for Alaska now
Reply 12
Original post by gjd800
E=MC2 by Brian Cox. Mostly because of the infantilising, condescending tone. There's a lesson to be leaned in there for popsci writers - treat your audiences with respect rather than with kid gloves.

I hated Lord of the Rings and only finished the thing because I'm a bit of a completionist. That's always a controversial one when I bring it up.

Honestly I’m too scared to pick up Lord of the Rings, it looks way too long! Curious though, did you hate it because of the plot or the writing? I enjoyed the films but I can imagine it would be a pretty world building heavy book that may be hard to follow
Reply 13
Honestly I’m too scared to pick up Lord of the Rings, it looks way too long! Curious though, did you hate it because of the plot or the writing? I enjoyed the films but I can imagine it would be a pretty world building heavy book that may be hard to follow

I hate the films too, I just don't like this high fantasy stuff so it's wasted on me. The writing is elegant enough, the whole thing simply bored me witless.
Reply 14
Original post by gjd800
I hate the films too, I just don't like this high fantasy stuff so it's wasted on me. The writing is elegant enough, the whole thing simply bored me witless.

Fair enough 😂
Original post by 1582
So so many. Fifty Shades of Grey is one I can't stand. Aside from being badly written it has misled the general public on where the lines are between abuse and kink. Christian Grey would be blacklisted in real life BDSM communities.

I just know the film to it - thanks to the trailers, I have not watched it! - and this book is definetely not my business. Any classic books they are overrated in your opinion?
Ugly Love - Colleen Hoover.
I do not care how cancellable this statement might be, but I hate all of Hoover's fics. They're just so cliche, the writing is appalling, totally basic (my 7 year old sister could write some of the sentences better than her) and it's always the same plot where the girl has been through some trauma, finds some questionable man (who also has been through some ****) to start a relationship by bonding with some good old trauma sex😍😍😍 I especially hated Ugly Love though, because of the trope and some things in that book left my jaws hanging on the floor (not in a good way either‼). One of the main things that annoyed me was that Miles seemed too in love with Rachel than Tate (cue eye roll). Like my man does not know what 'moving on' means. In some scenes he describes Rachel/ his relationship with her in such a romanticised and alluring way (bro turned into Shakespeare for her fr), but I just wish that same could be said for Tate, I mean she was 'meant' to be the lead love interest in THE BOOK but Miles just can't let go of everything that happened before THE BOOK. And also the fact that Miles was horny 24/7 was just a big ick. Oh, and wait I almost forgot the fact that Miles called Tate 'Rachel' during one of their 'arranged sessions' and I was so flabbergasted I didn't even know how to react like hello???? And Tate, fem lead, was just sooo boring and basic. She put up with Miles' **** ALL the damn time, like hun you don't have to do that😭 And every time he mugged her off, or treated her *****y, all he did was gave a vague explanation about his 'traumatic past' (which is valid to some extent, like it's... traumatic, but c'mon just go therapy sessions, honestly never that deep...) and all is forgiven??!! I don't stand for female leads like that. The sex scenes in Colleen Hoover books are harrowing too, to say the least. Like it's so bad, I don't even know how to describe it- leaves you dryer than the Sahara desert is all I'm saying. And another thing that gets to me is just like the way the two characters are suddenly just so attracted to each from the first millisecond they meet. There's no build up (that I would appreciate) , or nothing and just next chapter we have them making a '**** buddies pact'. Their romance in this was literally just blatantly ugly to put it out there. And not ugly in the painful and devastatingly beautiful way. Just straight out hideous and rotten, inside and out, kind of ugly. No one wants romance like that, it's unrealistic, NOT LOVE and just toxic. The whole plot of this I found to be pathetic. I've read It End with Us too, and let me just say it wasn't even worth finishing for me (despised the male lead). me and Colleen hoover ended with that book. Like it was my last straw with this author. The only decent book of CoHo I've read is Verity, like a solid 3/5 stars from me (which is surprising because I would rate Ugly love a 1.5 and same goes for It ends with us). However even with Verity, the ending could have been done much better so that it was more enticing and interesting. But I will admit, as a 13 year old, I worshipped this author but the older I got and once I got back into reading a year and a half ago, I re-read this fics and honestly wondered what was wrong with me when I first read these. Colleen Hoover books are just not for mature audiences imo, but a lot of older people do love it so it's just opinions I guess. But my advice... stay clear (and safe).
BUT FIRST LET ME SEND YOU SOMETHING FROM THAT BOOK😐

Spoiler

(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 17
Original post by heartz4moushi
Ugly Love - Colleen Hoover.
I do not care how cancellable this statement might be, but I hate all of Hoover's fics. They're just so cliche, the writing is appalling, totally basic (my 7 year old sister could write some of the sentences better than her) and it's always the same plot where the girl has been through some trauma, finds some questionable man (who also has been through some ****) to start a relationship by bonding with some good old trauma sex😍😍😍 I especially hated Ugly Love though, because of the trope and some things in that book left my jaws hanging on the floor (not in a good way either‼). One of the main things that annoyed me was that Miles seemed too in love with Rachel than Tate (cue eye roll). Like my man does not know what 'moving on' means. In some scenes he describes Rachel/ his relationship with her in such a romanticised and alluring way (bro turned into Shakespeare for her fr), but I just wish that same could be said for Tate, I mean she was 'meant' to be the lead love interest in THE BOOK but Miles just can't let go of everything that happened before THE BOOK. And also the fact that Miles was horny 24/7 was just a big ick. Oh, and wait I almost forgot the fact that Miles called Tate 'Rachel' during one of their 'arranged sessions' and I was so flabbergasted I didn't even know how to react like hello???? And Tate, fem lead, was just sooo boring and basic. She put up with Miles' **** ALL the damn time, like hun you don't have to do that😭 And every time he mugged her off, or treated her *****y, all he did was gave a vague explanation about his 'traumatic past' (which is valid to some extent, like it's... traumatic, but c'mon just go therapy sessions, honestly never that deep...) and all is forgiven??!! I don't stand for female leads like that. The sex scenes in Colleen Hoover books are harrowing too, to say the least. Like it's so bad, I don't even know how to describe it- leaves you dryer than the Sahara desert is all I'm saying. And another thing that gets to me is just like the way the two characters are suddenly just so attracted to each from the first millisecond they meet. There's no build up (that I would appreciate) , or nothing and just next chapter we have them making a '**** buddies pact'. Their romance in this was literally just blatantly ugly to put it out there. And not ugly in the painful and devastatingly beautiful way. Just straight out hideous and rotten, inside and out, kind of ugly. No one wants romance like that, it's unrealistic, NOT LOVE and just toxic. The whole plot of this I found to be pathetic. I've read It End with Us too, and let me just say it wasn't even worth finishing for me (despised the male lead) and my and Colleen hoover ended with that book. Like it was my last straw with this author. The only decent book of CoHo I've read is Verity, like a solid 3/5 stars from me (which is surprising because I would rate Ugly love a 1.5 and same goes for It ends with us). However even with Verity, the ending could have been done much better so that it was more enticing and interesting. But I will admit, as a 13 year old, I worshipped this author but the older I got and once I got back into reading a year and a half ago, I re-read this fics and honestly wondered what was wrong with me when I first read these. Colleen Hoover books are just not for mature audiences imo, but a lot of older people do love it so it's just opinions I guess. But my advice... stay clear (and safe).
BUT FIRST LET ME SEND YOU SOMETHING FROM THAT BOOK😐

Spoiler

Sounds pretty awful - thanks for the warning

I used to be quite against al classics but we had to read pride and prejudice for english lit and it was quite hard to get into. But I think if you just persevere through the first few chapters it gets quite interesting and you end up falling in love with the characters 😍Mr Darcy😍. Saying that O haven’t read any other classics since but if you’re into that then I would recommend trying pride and prejudice xx
Reply 19
Original post by agent_duck343
I used to be quite against al classics but we had to read pride and prejudice for english lit and it was quite hard to get into. But I think if you just persevere through the first few chapters it gets quite interesting and you end up falling in love with the characters 😍Mr Darcy😍. Saying that O haven’t read any other classics since but if you’re into that then I would recommend trying pride and prejudice xx

Maybe I will - to be fair I did like the film so I should probably just force myself through the start 😆

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending