Labour hold gender segregated meeting yet again in Oldham

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
He would get my vote.

And lose 200+ others :yy:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
... what?

A liberal opposing free choice of where you sit.
Reply 62
Original post by enaayrah

But would remain faithful to his beliefs.
Original post by Josb
He would get my vote.

Doubt it.
Reply 64
Original post by Kay_Winters
with Islamic Fundamentalist groups being an extremely tiny minority of Islam, less than 0.01% (with that being a very conservative figure)

More like 40%, in the UK
Original post by Josb
But would remain faithful to his beliefs.

But would decrease his chances of becoming an MP

He is a politician remember

I voted for him anyway lol
What is wrong with gender segregation?

Some of our most prestigious schools are single sex only, some of our greatest golf clubs are single sex only (this may have changed recently?), some of our most renowned private members clubs are single sex only. It seems that in certain facets of British culture, the exclusion of women is seen as a good thing.

Actually, I can't stand segregating or excluding people on the basis of their chromosomes, but it is a part of British culture. People get angry when Muslims are apparently doing but don't bat an eyelid in other circumstances. I would welcome someone to prove me wrong by staging a protest outside the gates of Eton.
Reply 67
Original post by United1892
Doubt it.

I know how I vote better than you.

Original post by United1892
A liberal opposing free choice of where you sit.

They can sit where they want. I'm not opposing that. I'm annoyed that some politicians are ready to tolerate that to get elected.
Reply 68
But would decrease his chances of becoming an MP

He is a politician remember

I voted for him anyway lol

And Labour lost the last elections.

2 million others at least lol

Theres a reason that long before Corbyn came along Labour was floundling.

I guess its not hard to see why when their politicians are happy exchange integrity for 200 votes
Original post by Josb
And Labour lost the last elections.

Won in my constituency (one in question) :dontknow:
In Mosques men and women are separate, it was respectful to Islam and to Muslims to address the meeting in this manner. Imagine the fury and outrage from the Muslim community if Labour had insisted on not allowing them to sit this way. Instead we have a bunch of people screaming fowl for actually respecting other religions and cultures. It's almost as if we don't live in a multicultural society during a time of heightened Islamophobia due to the actions of a loud minority, with Islamic Fundamentalist groups being an extremely tiny minority of Islam, less than 0.01% (with that being a very conservative figure)

How are you defining Islamic fundermentalism.

Does that include death for apostacy (which an estimate 31% support)
Does it include making homosexuality illegal (which an estimated 60% support)
Does that include the belief that sharia law should not be reformed to fit with modern values (which an estimated 39% support)
Does it include Admiring organisations (such as alqaeda) that are prepared to fight the west (which 7% support)
Or what about the estimated 24% believe that there are times it is justifiable to commit acts of violence against people who publish images of Muhammad

These are for British Muslims by the way, pretty big difference to that conservative 0.01%.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
I know how I vote better than you
True.

They can sit where they want. I'm not opposing that. I'm annoyed that some politicians are ready to tolerate that to get elected.

if they want to do something they can.
Segregation has nothing to do with equality.....unless the women had a worse view of the speakers or something similar, if people choose to be segregated let them.

Y'all need to calm down. Ur only against it because Muslims are doing it if it were orthodox Jews you all wouldn't even bat an eye lid.
Original post by scrotgrot
These are people who I don’t doubt vote UKIP, the most regressive party out there for women. They're not wound up, they're just pretending; they don't really care about women or even Muslims.

It's all just a reason to have a cynical pop at the Labour Party. To gang up on those in a weak position is in their nature. It makes them feel powerful.

And of course, you've provided us with a lovely commentary - as per most progressive perspectives on UKIP - however you haven't listed one UKIP policy which is 'regressive for women.'

Rather, all you've done is offered an intentionally dense critique of why a beaten wife should be granted a free choice to stay with her abusive husband, because to advise her otherwise, or do something, would interfere with her free will.

Your defence of religious conservatism - nay, social conservatism! - betrays your intelligence. To have intervened would not have been an interruption of free will; these are political representatives of the UK, who have stood by and appeased a conservative practice for the purpose of increasing vote share.

It's tantamount to standing by while a husband beats his wife; to interfere, or to set an example, would be to interrupt her right to take a beating. I genuinely struggle to believe I'm having this conversation; I genuinely struggle to believe 'progressives' sit by and defend religious conservatism with as much vigour as a 1960's social conservative.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quantex
What is wrong with gender segregation?

Again, I get the impression you are being intentionally dense, or you are rationalising to try and align your individual morality to a political inclination.

It's a bit like someone asking 'what's wrong with killing another human being?' without stipulating you are referring to warfare and the 'killing' of terrorists.

You cannot simply divorce gender segregation from its context and pretend it doesn't represent a value system, or misogyny, or a belief women are half the value of men.
1&2) I agree anyone coming to the UK should have to obey UK laws, and I agree with freedom of speech, although freedom of speech shouldn't be used as a get out clause for hate speech or offensive content, such as depicting Mohammed which is seen as offensive in Islam, there are other ways people could criticise Islam which doesn't include using offensive images. One such way is supporting Muslims who argue within Islam for the things you think are correct.

And while I agree a lot of Islamic Countries have awful laws and awful punishments I do believe we are talking about the UK, or at least I am, so if we are on different pages perhaps now is the time to sort this out and figure out where each of us are coming from.

3) Google Islamophobia definition, this is what comes up "dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force", which suggests it includes hate crimes against Muslims under the bracket of Islamophobia.

4) Those polls are worrying in what they state, although I would want to look at them further to see how much so, if you recall The Sun's frontpage recently, they took a reputable polling organisation's data and twisted, and there is also no information on how many people were asked and such, and some of the polling is going back ten years. Perhaps it is the sociological part in me but I'm quite questioning of research unless I can check it out further, but I am willing to look over it all, but for the sake of replying quickly I have only managed to look through a few of the articles.

1 and 2) Freedom of speech should indeed be qualified to prevent hate speech. But hate speech is a problem because it might incite prejudice or violence against certain groups. But drawing pictures of Mohammed does not incite violence against Muslims. And freedom of speech should absolutely not be qualified because of offence. Absolutely everything can offend someone, and that is something we must deal with. So to my eyes, drawing pictures of Mohammed should not be an exception to freedom of speech.

3). That definition of Islamophobia is problematic because dislike or prejudice against Islam is not inherently a bad thing. The etymology of the word islamophobia implies there is an issue which criticising Islam.

We don't need a separate word for prejudice against Muslims, that is simply hate crime. And if we do need a word, it would be a word like Muslimophobia, as awkward a word as that is.

4) Fair enough, I wouldn't expect you to scrutinise every survey's research in such a short period of time
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Again, I get the impression you are being intentionally dense, or you are rationalising to try and align your individual morality to a political inclination.

It's a bit like someone asking 'what's wrong with killing another human being?' without stipulating you are referring to warfare and the 'killing' of terrorists.

You cannot simply divorce gender segregation from its context and pretend it doesn't represent a value system, or misogyny, or a belief women are half the value of men.

I get the impression you are being intentionally dense, or utterly failing understand my point.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
That was your full post your horrible deceitful liar. HERE IT IS ONE MORE TIME
I am not referring to yours or later posts in response to you otherwise I WOULD HAVE QUOTED THEM WOULDNT I

So your solution to coexist is to tolerate the intolerant. Wonderful

Freedom of speech does not protect against hate speech or discrimination. The reason you think it does is because you are a child that thinks cartoons are hate speech and anything that "offends" someone ought to be classed as hate speech. I absolutely despair. You can help muslims by not supporting fascists sexist illiberal muslims.

Go and do some research on the Hijab. Just because it is arguably not oppressive for most western woman does not hide its history and meaning and that it is an extremely oppresive garment in the majority of societies this very day

You know what, if you don't want a proper debate then I am unsure why I am bothering, you clearly just want to yell at someone, and given you've even called me a child suggests you consider yourself an adult, which makes it even worse if you think it's okay to speak to children in this manner. I may disagree with some of the others I am debating with, but they at the very least are being respectful and holding a civilised debate.

In any case, depicting images of Mohammed is seen as offensive in Islamic culture, it doesn't take much to be respectful of that, yet still be critical of the religion. This is the same in any case where if you have issue with someone, or a group of people, it is possible to be critical, but not offensive, thereby remaining respectful towards them. For example I dislike Caitlyn Jenner a lot, I don't go around calling her by her deadname, or using male pronouns for her.

Just to conclude I would point out there is no validity in taking only one thing someone said, and then ignoring their future comments on the matter. I don't mind you taking me to task on something, but it's possible to do so, and do so respectfully in a civilised debate without name calling, and listen back when the person quotes something else they said on the matter and suggests you read that as well.
Original post by tengentoppa
1 and 2) Freedom of speech should indeed be qualified to prevent hate speech. But hate speech is a problem because it might incite prejudice or violence against certain groups. But drawing pictures of Mohammed does not incite violence against Muslims. And freedom of speech should absolutely not be qualified because of offence. Absolutely everything can offend someone, and that is something we must deal with. So to my eyes, drawing pictures of Mohammed should not be an exception to freedom of speech.

3). That definition of Islamophobia is problematic because dislike or prejudice against Islam is not inherently a bad thing. The etymology of the word islamophobia implies there is an issue which criticising Islam.

We don't need a separate word for prejudice against Muslims, that is simply hate crime. And if we do need a word, it would be a word like Muslimophobia, as awkward a word as that is.

4) Fair enough, I wouldn't expect you to scrutinise every survey's research in such a short period of time

1&2) While it does not incite violence against Muslims depicting Mohammed is generally considered offensive to Islam, it's not hard, as I've said to someone else in this debate, to respect that and still be critical of the religion, and still be comical/satirical of the religion infact. I am glad we agree on hate crime and freedom of speech however.

3) I can see where you are coming from, Islamophobia tends, at least in my experience to be used much like homophobia, in place of a word like sexist or racist, to denote harmful events against Muslims, especially individual or small groups of Muslims, I do however understand why you disagree with the definition, and see what you mean. Not saying I agree, but I understand, and agree it could be clearer.

4) I thank you for being understanding

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending