The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

University of Surrey - Accommodation Allocation based on color/race

It has been quite shocking for me to experience that the allocation of accommodation has been done based on skin color and race at the University of Surrey.
I have been around for one year and at one point, almost everyone in my building left but was replaced by people of either the same color or race.
How brilliant you are or not, you will be allocated a room based on how you were born. This is the worst kind of experience for an international student. Good Luck!
Reply 1
If it were true it would be. How do you know that this is the case? Are they single sex halls or halls with a no alcohol policy ? If this were to be the case it would explain things as halls with this policy attract more students with certain religious affinities.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
What is the point of diversity then? If somebody does not select any policy options for the halls and happen to be more open then still end up with similar kind of people? Just wow.
Reply 3
Original post by admjo45
What is the point of diversity then? If somebody does not select any policy options for the halls and happen to be more open then still end up with similar kind of people? Just wow.

I agree! If no special criteria were selected there should be a mix.Why don’t you ask to change and state why?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by admjo45
It has been quite shocking for me to experience that the allocation of accommodation has been done based on skin color and race at the University of Surrey.
I have been around for one year and at one point, almost everyone in my building left but was replaced by people of either the same color or race.
How brilliant you are or not, you will be allocated a room based on how you were born. This is the worst kind of experience for an international student. Good Luck!

Dear admjo45,

Thank you for your feedback. Our allocation policy for accommodation is based on course type (i.e. undergraduate or postgraduate) and room band preference. Our Accommodation Services team does not ask for or hold any information based on students' race or colour, therefore making it impossible for allocations to be made based on these.

The University often welcomes large cohorts of students from a particular region at the same time, which can sometimes influence how empty rooms are allocated.

We would be more than happy to discuss this in further detail if you do have concerns or organise a meeting to discuss further. Please get in touch via email at [email protected] if you wish to do so.

Allocation policy for accommodation: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applying/allocation-policy-and-process

Thanks,
Accommodation Services, University of Surrey
Reply 5
Update:

Another year and again the same kind of people.

Now, this can never be a coincidence.

People of the same ethnicity, colour and gender.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by admjo45
Update:

Another year and again the same kind of people.

Now, this can never be a coincidence.

People of the same ethnicity, colour and gender.

I can understand your frustration and suggest you take it up with the accommodation office. It could quite simply be a misunderstanding. You would be surprised how many posts on TSR are from people reassuring themselves that their will be people from backgrounds similar to their own and being anxious in case there aren’t. Surrey might have thought they were acting as you would want them to. They were wrong and you should tell them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending