The Student Room Group
Reply 1
When I was in Australia, I was planning on attending Oxford, however, I got rejected. It might have been a bit different for me because I have German citizenship, but here are a few points you might want to look into:

- are you positive that you can archive an UAI of 99 (I don't know how much of a gambling the NSW system is / whether you're doing the IB)?
- check out the admissions web pages. A lot of useful information about admissions can be found there.
- (at Oxford) some subjects require written work to be submitted / an entrance test. Make sure to know and be prepared to do whatever your subject requires.
- maybe you want to order an prospectus from the university. I orderd one to Australia and the cost was 5 pounds (about AUD 12, for Oxford that is again). It was really worth it because I was actually able to just look at it without a computer.

If there is anything else you'd like to know, don't hesitate to answer. I'd be happy to answer it to my best knowledge. Good luck with your application.
Reply 2
what about a UAI of 97?
Reply 3
UAI 97 is about AAB at A-Levels, so gettting in is highly unlikely. 99+ plus ECs and awards is much better. Althought beware that Oxbridge, like other reputable universities, reject a lot of AAA applicants. You need to find your edge and exploit it.
Reply 4
Hi! I'm an Australian who has just successfully applied to Oxford for 2008 entry to read History.

I would say apply all the same. It would be tragic if you were made an offer and didn't get the UAI needed (which for Oxford is 98.5) but I never thought I'd get that and I did. Really go for it because the UAI is impossible to estimate. Also keep in mind if this hesitance to apply is because you're afraid you won't get the UAI, Oxbridge can be lenient to some extent even after the offer is made if you're close enough and really good.

If you have any questions PM me. I'd love to help. :biggrin: Where in Australia are you from?
Reply 5
Hey Leah i wanna ask, so do all high achieving Australians study overseas?
Reply 6
leah - please check pm

rani
Reply 7
Chriz
Hey Leah i wanna ask, so do all high achieving Australians study overseas?

No. Not many people apply to study Internationally. Exchange programs are popular but not overseas study largely because there aren't many scholarships available. I believe (and this is of course terribly bias) that the quality of Australian Higher Education is very high. I applied to Oxford more because I liked the course and tutorial system than because the quality of education was overwhelmingly superior. Sydney University, the Australian National University and Melbourne University are very good unis which require high UAIs for most courses. The UAI needed although doesn't neccessarily correspond with the quality of education but simply how popular a course is.

Are you studying as an International student in the UK Chriz?
Reply 8
~LEAH~
No. Not many people apply to study Internationally. Exchange programs are popular but not overseas study largely because there aren't many scholarships available. I believe (and this is of course terribly bias) that the quality of Australian Higher Education is very high. I applied to Oxford more because I liked the course and tutorial system than because the quality of education was overwhelmingly superior. Sydney University, the Australian National University and Melbourne University are very good unis which require high UAIs for most courses. The UAI needed although doesn't neccessarily correspond with the quality of education but simply how popular a course is.

Are you studying as an International student in the UK Chriz?

Yeah, i have an offer to study at Warwick as an international student. If i don't make the offer, i will study in Australia as a citizen. I have been looking at law in Australia and so far nailed it down to Sydney University or UNSW. How is UNSW regarded in Australia? I hear its pretty much all international students.
Reply 9
UNSW is another fantastic university (sorry I left it out the list:redface: ). I think it all depends on the course you want to do.

I wouldn't know about the number of International Students but I would think the majority are local. A large proportion of my school friends are now at UNSW and they seem to be having a ball so I'm sure you would as well:biggrin:
Reply 10
It really depends on which course you are into. UNSW has a very good reputation for Engineering. And has the only well-established undergraduate medical program in metropolitan Sydney. UAIs are also quite high for UNSW. Not too sure about law though...
Reply 11
~LEAH~
No. Not many people apply to study Internationally.

This is very true.
As an international student studying at melb uni, i came here not expecting much of the quality of education.
i'm now in my 2nd year, and i'm actually very satisfied with the quality of teaching and the competitiveness of my course (engineering).
There are a lot of high acheiving australians who go to melbourne, unsw, sydney, anu, etc.. thus the environment is competitive and students generally do study very hard.
Similarly not all of the high acheiving academics go overseas so we do get some very good australian lecturers/professors. however, you will find quite a number of foreign academics here, whom are actually some of my favourite/best lecturers. i've had russian, german, american, british (english), and dutch lecturers so far.

Latest

Trending

Trending