The Student Room Group

The struggles of convincing my Family to let me go to Uni

For context, I come from an Irish traveller family in which I am the only one who stuck with school past the age of 14. And most of them seem to think sending me to university is just wasteful as “I won't succeed," which I strongly disagree with despite my attendance and grades not necessarily being good enough for the top universities.

Rough estimations of attendance
KS3-40% (1st and 2nd school)
Year 10–15 (3rd school)
Year 11: 20% (GCSE Results: 9987766665 With No Extra Time Given as I was only Diagnosed with Dysgraphia and Dyslexia in Year 12) (4th school continued here for A-levels)

I'm currently in Year 13, with a significantly higher attendance rate compared to previous years. (60–70%) Where I have been striving with the support offered by the school. Becoming the Head of the Equality Ministry, Financial Director of Young Enterprise, and Mentor for Disadvantaged Pupils in Lower School.

In my Year 12 mocks, I received an A* (Business, Economics, and History) (EPQ slightly later, where I received an A*).

In my Year 13 mocks, I just received the result that I achieved 3 A*s.

As a result, I decided to play it safe, putting A*A*A*A (Business, Economics, EPQ, History).

And I have applied to 5 universities and 3 apprenticeships related to accounting.

Where I have received 3/5 offers so far and 3/3 for the apprenticeships

However, even those who supported my decision for university. (within the traveller group, especially my mother and father) Are still doubtful about my academic ability and are trying to encourage me to pick my two lowest offers and play it safe. Which is slightly irritating as I had to avoid the top universities. As my sixth form did not allow me to take A-Level Math. (a target subject) Due to only receiving a 6 in GCSE. As a result, most of the universities I applied to are good; however, only 1 is in the top 5 for the subject, and all of the remaining but 1 vary from 10th to 35th. With my safety being around 45th. Their comment would not have irritated me so much if my choices were actually unreasonable. e.g. Oxbridge. However, the typical offers vary from AAA-AAB (excluding safety), which I should comfortably achieve.

Despite this, the most annoying thing is how everyone assumes that my concerns, e.g. a lack of work experience, family background, and a low attendance rate throughout school. With frequent behaviour issues within lower school. Are the same as theirs, e.g., lacking the ability to achieve those grades.

Reason for concern with work experience: I only found 2 placements (a 2-week and a 3-week one) as well as volunteering at the local athletics club (as an agreement for free use of the track). However, the main concern is that actual jobs are hard to find due to my family background, where most people have criminal records and are well known in the local area.
-Low attendance Rate may make me appear unreliable. Making it seem wasteful to offer a space to a student who won't attend lectures.
-behaviour because I've had numerous detentions. As well as a few run-ins with the police; however, only warnings were given. (All under the age of 12) I'm not trying to justify it, but it's what I grew up with, so I assumed it was normal and followed the crowd.

Sorry for ranting; I just needed somewhere to let it all out.
Reply 1
* In Year 12 I meant A*A*A not just one A*
Reply 2
I'm currently reading Gypsy Boy by Mikey Walsh. It is enlightening to say the least and if even some of that book reflects your life and the culture of those you live with, then I completely appreciate the difficulty you face. Again, if what I read is true, I can only think you have two very stark options:-

You resign yourself to a life within your community and all that it entails (no university)

You leave the community in pursuit of your own dreams and fulfilment, but in the knowledge that you may well be an outcast and possibly not welcome back.

I don't envy you but do wish you the very best of luck in the difficult decisions you will inevitably have to take.
Reply 3
Original post by Anon15833
For context, I come from an Irish traveller family in which I am the only one who stuck with school past the age of 14. And most of them seem to think sending me to university is just wasteful as “I won't succeed," which I strongly disagree with despite my attendance and grades not necessarily being good enough for the top universities.

Year 10–15 (3rd school)
Year 11: 20% (GCSE Results: 9987766665 With No Extra Time Given as I was only Diagnosed with Dysgraphia and Dyslexia in Year 12) (4th school continued here for A-levels)

I'm currently in Year 13, with a significantly higher attendance rate compared to previous years. (60–70%) Where I have been striving with the support offered by the school. Becoming the Head of the Equality Ministry, Financial Director of Young Enterprise, and Mentor for Disadvantaged Pupils in Lower School.

In my Year 12 mocks, I received an A* (Business, Economics, and History) (EPQ slightly later, where I received an A*).

As a result, I decided to play it safe, putting A*A*A*A (Business, Economics, EPQ, History).

And I have applied to 5 universities and 3 apprenticeships related to accounting.

However, even those who supported my decision for university. (within the traveller group, especially my mother and father) Are still doubtful about my academic ability and are trying to encourage me to pick my two lowest offers and play it safe. Which is slightly irritating as I had to avoid the top universities. As my sixth form did not allow me to take A-Level Math. (a target subject) Due to only receiving a 6 in GCSE. As a result, most of the universities I applied to are good; however, only 1 is in the top 5 for the subject, and all of the remaining but 1 vary from 10th to 35th. With my safety being around 45th. Their comment would not have irritated me so much if my choices were actually unreasonable. e.g. Oxbridge. However, the typical offers vary from AAA-AAB (excluding safety), which I should comfortably achieve.

Despite this, the most annoying thing is how everyone assumes that my concerns, e.g. a lack of work experience, family background, and a low attendance rate throughout school. With frequent behaviour issues within lower school. Are the same as theirs, e.g., lacking the ability to achieve those grades.

Reason for concern with work experience: I only found 2 placements (a 2-week and a 3-week one) as well as volunteering at the local athletics club (as an agreement for free use of the track). However, the main concern is that actual jobs are hard to find due to my family background, where most people have criminal records and are well known in the local area.
-Low attendance Rate may make me appear unreliable. Making it seem wasteful to offer a space to a student who won't attend lectures.
-behaviour because I've had numerous detentions. As well as a few run-ins with the police; however, only warnings were given. (All under the age of 12) I'm not trying to justify it, but it's what I grew up with, so I assumed it was normal and followed the crowd.

Tbh honest all unis really care about are grades and that you are doing the right subjects.Pick the firm and insurance you like the look of based on course modules and surroundings.Try and get along to offer days so you can get a feel for the place.
Your school has obviously given you a good reference based on your offers so far.Do not let the doubts or the doubters put you off You have worked hard and should be perfectly okay achieving those offers

Year 10–15 (3rd school)

Is the issue financial then? Because if you've got the grades, get the offers, and are an adult, it's not like parents can really stop you - other than refusing to offer any financial support.

Year 10–15 (3rd school)

Universities don't care about attendance or detentions - even if your school decides to tell them, which they almost certainly wouldn't.

Just go through with the application process, applying for funding etc, work hard on your subjects and see what your grades come out as. You haven't really got to make a decision until you have a confirmed offer in your hands. With that all worked out, your family may feel differently - at the moment it is alien to them and hypothetical. After results date there is a clear proposal, it may seem much easier to understand.
OP, you write better than many here who bang on about wanting to go to Oxbridge, and better than some who claim to be studying at or to have studied at Oxbridge. May I please ask which universities you have applied to? Having regard to the environment in which you have grown up (I say that meaning no disrespect to your family), your academic achievements strike me as impressive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending