The Student Room Group

Obsessed with Oxbridge?

I am so obsessed with getting into Oxbridge (when I am fully aware of how slim the chances are and what it takes). It is so bad that I am only considering careers and courses that I have a probable chance of getting in to Oxford for rather than for my future careers. This also leads to me panicking when I emerge out of the obsession and realising I do not have a life plan outside of aiming for Oxbridge. Can someone who also was like this please help?

Scroll to see replies

Most people want to go to Oxbridge because of the name, and not realizing that they can probably get just as good of a quality education from other universities. And imo, Oxbridge is a bit of a scam, you sacrifice all your free time just for a university which doesn't even accept you, and even if you do get accepted, you're already too burned out to even attend lectures or study. I'll admit there was a time when I wanted to go to Oxbridge, but my dad snapped me out of it pretty quickly, and now I got accepted into Bath.
Are there other universities that you have looked into, which you think would have a higher chance of accepting you? Because I really don't think it's worth the struggle.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am so obsessed with getting into Oxbridge (when I am fully aware of how slim the chances are and what it takes). It is so bad that I am only considering careers and courses that I have a probable chance of getting in to Oxford for rather than for my future careers. This also leads to me panicking when I emerge out of the obsession and realising I do not have a life plan outside of aiming for Oxbridge. Can someone who also was like this please help?

Which degree? Honestly it's not the best option for many degrees.
Reply 3

It really does not need to be all consuming, or even that time consuming to get in. Whether you are aiming for oxbridge or another competitive uni, you are going to want to get the best A-level grades possible, and you are going to want to do super curriculars like extra reading etc, so the only real extra thing is an entrance exam (for most courses, but not all), and an interview if you get that far. It does not have to be that much extra work.

It is also really important to research and get excited about other unis, as like you have recognised, the large majority of oxbridge applicants do not get in.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4

Please dont choose oxbridge for any degree just because its the easiest one to get into. It would be a complete waste of time and money if you hate the degree.
Take a look at the subjects you are taking and what you like and do not like and explore the topics you like on google and check out degrees and careers related to that subject. Getting into Oxbridge is not easy. You could have all 9's in GCSE , all the olympiads and extracurriculars and still not get in.
If you are to go for Oxbridge then fine. but definitely go for a degree you like doing, and also make sure you invest in the other universities as well by visiting them and reading about what they have to offer also. If you solely invest in Oxbridge then if you dont get in you have a harder time getting over it, rather than someone who went for oxbridge and loves other unis too.
Reply 5
If it's worth anything at all I'm in the middle of my finals at Oxford & if I had my time again I'd quite possibly choose to go somewhere else. It's not the be all and end all :daydreaming:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by wowe_ee
If it's worth anything at all I'm in the middle of my finals at Oxford & if I had my time again I'd quite possibly choose to go somewhere else. It's not the be all and end all :daydreaming:

Which degree subject are your Final Honours going to be? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by thegeek888
Which degree subject are your Final Honours going to be? :s-smilie:

Law
Reply 8
Original post by wowe_ee
Law

That's one of the highest paid degrees at Oxford University?! :smile: Just hang in there. You'll earn £160,000 a year with a US Law firm or as a Barrister!!! :wink:
Reply 9

I know exactly what you mean since I used to be the same. The best thing to do would be to keep dreaming about Oxford and still apply. However, try to prepare yourself for the very real possibility that you won’t get in. Have backup plans. Also, there are lots of other really good universities that are also quite prestigious and top the League tables. This will vary depending on the degree but look at Imperial (for STEM obvsly), King’s, UCL and LSE. These are also quite hard to get into but if you apply to a few universities that are tough to get into it definitely improves your chances of getting into one of them. Another piece of advice is think beyond University. Uni will only take up 3-4 years of your life, you will be working for much longer than that
Original post by CatalinaIK
I know exactly what you mean since I used to be the same. The best thing to do would be to keep dreaming about Oxford and still apply. However, try to prepare yourself for the very real possibility that you won’t get in. Have backup plans. Also, there are lots of other really good universities that are also quite prestigious and top the League tables. This will vary depending on the degree but look at Imperial (for STEM obvsly), King’s, UCL and LSE. These are also quite hard to get into but if you apply to a few universities that are tough to get into it definitely improves your chances of getting into one of them. Another piece of advice is think beyond University. Uni will only take up 3-4 years of your life, you will be working for much longer than that

There are also universities such as Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Lancaster, Exeter, Nottingham, SOAS, Manchester, Leeds, Southampton and QMUL with global reputations. :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
Hi, I'm a third-year History student at Lancaster University, and I had a brother and friends go to Oxbridge (and I interviewed at Oxford) and thought I might be able to weigh in on this.

I can understand the appeal of Oxbridge, as they are known worldwide, but the reality is that for many people, the experience is very different to many universities. There is a very intense workload for those universities, most of the people I know that went there studied humanities subjects (philosophy, politics, english lit etc) and they had to complete an essay most weeks, as well as attend meetings to discuss subjects in detail with their tutors. Although this is a style which may suit some people, you should think very carefully whether that sort of workload is something that is going to be enjoyable or whether you would be more suited to studying somewhere where your essays are worth a higher % of the year and completed less frequently. Definitely try reaching out to people at Oxbridge studying the degrees you are interested in and go to open days, which will give you more of an understanding of whether that is a place for you.

You should definitely still apply either way, but also prepare to look at other universities, and definitely go to open days. I love Lancaster, the workload is just right for me and I know I wouldn't have enjoyed going to Oxford as much as I have enjoyed it here. I interviewed at Brasenose, and got called for an additional interview at Lady Margaret Hall, and while I found the content of the interviews interesting, the entire situation was very intense and confirmed what I already thought about my preference for Lancaster.

I am happy to answer any more questions,
~ Georgia
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
Which degree? Honestly it's not the best option for many degrees.

Hi, I want to apply for PPE (one of the most competitive I know). A big part of my problem is that I feel like for non-STEM degrees the institution is extremely important to your future career and this is really scaring me so much so that I am considering pursuing STEM degrees only for the security they may provide.
Reply 13
Hi, I want to apply for PPE (one of the most competitive I know). A big part of my problem is that I feel like for non-STEM degrees the institution is extremely important to your future career and this is really scaring me so much so that I am considering pursuing STEM degrees only for the security they may provide.

It's only important for IB and Law ... even then there are other good unis.
Original post by Muttley79
It's only important for IB and Law ... even then there are other good unis.

Sorry to interrupt your discussion. May I know what IB stands for?

STEM and non-STEM graduates have been shown consistently to have similar long term outcomes for graduates. Framing the two as oppositional in this way is not really a useful way to understand higher education, nor career prospects.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 16
Sorry to interrupt your discussion. May I know what IB stands for?

Investment banking

Hi,

My name is Emmanuel and I'm a 3rd Year Student of History & Politics at Lancaster University. First of all, I'd say that I applaud you for recognizing and acknowledging these thoughts; it's easy to feel the pressure of entry into Oxbridge without even considering whether or not it's something you really want. I'll probably echo what others have written in the chat here already, but I hope it remains helpful for you in any case.

So I wanted to study History exclusively at University, but I had pressure to study for a STEM degree. At the time, I was 16 and I did the International Baccalaureate (IB) so I did 6 subjects. I was achieving high grades across the board in Economics, Maths, English, History, French, and Chemistry, so grades were not a problem for me. Funnily enough, that meant I could gain a bit of bargaining power to choose a Social Sciences degree because I had done the extracurriculars to give me a better opportunity of succeeding at an Interview. I did get an Interview after passing the entrance exam but was rejected thereafter. I hit rock bottom at that time, especially because of the burnout from studying six subjects, doing sports for my school, and working a part-time job at the time. I had already chosen my other Uni options for UCAS because of the early submission of applications for Oxbridge, so I had other possibilities in consideration, but I definitely didn't see much further beyond Cambridge. Hopefully, some of these reflections can help:

1) Oxbridge is a very demanding academic experience. I have friends at both Universities that do social sciences and had to complete essays weekly from the moment they arrived in term time. That's a very unique approach to learning and highly intensive and it doesn't suit everyone. I have enjoyed being at Lancaster, where essays are much less frequent, allowing me time for critical self-reflection, and can count for a large proportion of your module grades, so I can plan adequately ahead of deadlines and construct my working timetable to maximize my enjoyment of researching for projects. If I could not enjoy 'learning for the sake of learning', my degree would feel a lot more functional and take the joy out of my experience significantly.

2) Because of that work-intensive approach, you haven't got many opportunities in terms of time and energy to commit to other endeavors. For myself, I quickly realized I loved part-time work and I was already doing Sports Journalism in my last year of school as freelance work. To be able to blend my different interests has suited a student environment like that at Lancaster. And it's worth remembering employability is not just the result of where and what you study. I've gained a lot of transferable skills and knowledge that have served me well in applications and interviews to gain job offers.

3) As you've already alluded, your prospects of entering Oxbridge are slimmer than a lot of other great academic institutions so a well-developed backup plan is valuable. I chose Lancaster because I liked the accommodation, campus-oriented structure of the student experience as well as the diversity and flexibility of modules available for Joint Honours degree students in the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences here. But other things I stumbled across when visiting for an Offer Holder Event (collegiate life) and even once I started studying here (range of flexible part-time work arrangements). By no means am I saying that you need to plan out how you spend your whole time at University, but worries and doubts about studying at Oxbridge can be an excellent stimulus for careful consideration of what you really want from this opportunity and the place that may be if it isn't Oxford or Cambridge.

I've spoken a lot about my path and my considerations, and there may be different pressures and influences that are causing your own thoughts. All I'd say is to continue to validate those thoughts, be curious to find answers and consider opportunities. For a lot of people, it's the biggest decision that they have made in their life at the time, so I always advice to embrace that process and put yourself first as you're mapping out a path to being more independent and increasing your prospects of a happy and successful future. Hopefully, this helps and don't hesitate to respond with other questions.
Original post by Emmanuel AA
Hi,

My name is Emmanuel and I'm a 3rd Year Student of History & Politics at Lancaster University. First of all, I'd say that I applaud you for recognizing and acknowledging these thoughts; it's easy to feel the pressure of entry into Oxbridge without even considering whether or not it's something you really want. I'll probably echo what others have written in the chat here already, but I hope it remains helpful for you in any case.

So I wanted to study History exclusively at University, but I had pressure to study for a STEM degree. At the time, I was 16 and I did the International Baccalaureate (IB) so I did 6 subjects. I was achieving high grades across the board in Economics, Maths, English, History, French, and Chemistry, so grades were not a problem for me. Funnily enough, that meant I could gain a bit of bargaining power to choose a Social Sciences degree because I had done the extracurriculars to give me a better opportunity of succeeding at an Interview. I did get an Interview after passing the entrance exam but was rejected thereafter. I hit rock bottom at that time, especially because of the burnout from studying six subjects, doing sports for my school, and working a part-time job at the time. I had already chosen my other Uni options for UCAS because of the early submission of applications for Oxbridge, so I had other possibilities in consideration, but I definitely didn't see much further beyond Cambridge. Hopefully, some of these reflections can help:

1) Oxbridge is a very demanding academic experience. I have friends at both Universities that do social sciences and had to complete essays weekly from the moment they arrived in term time. That's a very unique approach to learning and highly intensive and it doesn't suit everyone. I have enjoyed being at Lancaster, where essays are much less frequent, allowing me time for critical self-reflection, and can count for a large proportion of your module grades, so I can plan adequately ahead of deadlines and construct my working timetable to maximize my enjoyment of researching for projects. If I could not enjoy 'learning for the sake of learning', my degree would feel a lot more functional and take the joy out of my experience significantly.

2) Because of that work-intensive approach, you haven't got many opportunities in terms of time and energy to commit to other endeavors. For myself, I quickly realized I loved part-time work and I was already doing Sports Journalism in my last year of school as freelance work. To be able to blend my different interests has suited a student environment like that at Lancaster. And it's worth remembering employability is not just the result of where and what you study. I've gained a lot of transferable skills and knowledge that have served me well in applications and interviews to gain job offers.

3) As you've already alluded, your prospects of entering Oxbridge are slimmer than a lot of other great academic institutions so a well-developed backup plan is valuable. I chose Lancaster because I liked the accommodation, campus-oriented structure of the student experience as well as the diversity and flexibility of modules available for Joint Honours degree students in the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences here. But other things I stumbled across when visiting for an Offer Holder Event (collegiate life) and even once I started studying here (range of flexible part-time work arrangements). By no means am I saying that you need to plan out how you spend your whole time at University, but worries and doubts about studying at Oxbridge can be an excellent stimulus for careful consideration of what you really want from this opportunity and the place that may be if it isn't Oxford or Cambridge.

I've spoken a lot about my path and my considerations, and there may be different pressures and influences that are causing your own thoughts. All I'd say is to continue to validate those thoughts, be curious to find answers and consider opportunities. For a lot of people, it's the biggest decision that they have made in their life at the time, so I always advice to embrace that process and put yourself first as you're mapping out a path to being more independent and increasing your prospects of a happy and successful future. Hopefully, this helps and don't hesitate to respond with other questions.

So are you considering Oxbridge for Postgraduate studies? :smile:
Original post by wowe_ee
Law

omg we r suffering tgt...my finals went so bad...lmfao...
****ed up every single paper lol even the land paper...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending