The Student Room Group

PGCE, Dance College or Teach Abroad

I already have a TEFL 120 hr qualification to teach English abroad. Do I still study for a PGCE to broaden my horizon so I have better job opportunities when I move abroad?

I also have a great passion for dance and performing. Do I abandon the teaching route and just attend dance college? Although, I worry money could be an issue with the dance route.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by eytl
I already have a TEFL 120 hr qualification to teach English abroad. Do I still study for a PGCE to broaden my horizon so I have better job opportunities when I move abroad?

I also have a great passion for dance and performing. Do I abandon the teaching route and just attend dance college? Although, I worry money could be an issue with the dance route.

Ultimately, it is your decision, but some thoughts to help you make a decision:

TEFL only allows you to teach English as a foreign language, not GCSE or A level.

QTS (PGCE + 2 years teaching post qualification) is an internationaly recognised (and transferable) qualification that would allow you to teach in any state school in the UK and open doors to international jobs (e.g. Australian visa). You will usually be able to earn significantly more money than as a TEFL teacher, especially if your subject is in demand/shortage (STEM).

Getting into dance school is really difficult (10% acceptance rate) but if it is a dream, will you regret it if you do not try?

If you are young, you could do all. You could try for dance school; then use your TEFL to work and live overseas; and come back and do your PGCE.

Life is for living, so do what you love :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending