The Student Room Group

Global warming, something to worry about in the distant future?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
A cliche who's slightly unhinged.

Which bit was unhinged? Calling out the hypocrisy of most people who will bang on about how much they care when there's money to be made of wars to be fought, but when there is neither it's just one of those things? Hilarious.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The last time CO2 was at a higher percentage in the atmosphere, the oceans were 30 metres higher than today and the air was 11 degrees warmer. Maybe you regard it as no problem that most of the world's large cities will have to relocate and a significant portion of the developed world will be rendered beyond the use of agriculture, but lots of people do. :rolleyes:

The Quentin Letts story you cite is nonsense, the BBC did no such thing - he is an independent journalist and he chose to attend a climate course, he was not pressured to do so. This has been hammered on by numerous sceptics without putting forward an ounce of proof and stems from a joke Letts made about it.

The satellite data you mention (which is about warming of the Troposphere) does not indicate what you say it does. It has been demonstrated to be an artefact of the data gathering process and not a genuine effect.
https://www.skepticalscience.com/satellite-measurements-warming-troposphere.htm

1. So? Correlation, not causation. Perception, not reality. There are hundreds of factors governing the earth's temperature, not just CO2.
2. Nothing to back that up. I've got plenty of sources to back my perspective up, where are yours? I've even got a quote direct from Quentin Letts.
3. Yes, satellites are wrong. Data is wrong. Numbers are a manipulative ploy, designed to create suspicion amongst non-believers. Please.

One, the climate hasn't warmed in 15-odd years.

Two, even if it did warm (and it can be demonstrated this is being caused by CO2), who cares? It's been far, far, far, far, far warmer throughout history, with no noticeable impact.

Three, CO2 is an essential gas - we need it, it's essential. You can go outside and spit and have the same effect as doubling CO2.

Fourth, there are hundreds of factors which govern the earth's climate and temperature, intriguingly, the climate alarmists are only focused on one. I wonder why?

Five, this peer reviewed paper found that earth's climate was broadly similar to what it is today, despite CO2 concentration being 5x-20x higher. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-08/uol-aae080910.php

Here, read this: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323528404578452483656067190

“Thanks to the single-minded demonization of this natural and essential atmospheric gas by advocates of government control of energy production, the conventional wisdom about carbon dioxide is that it is a dangerous pollutant. That’s simply not the case.”

“The cessation of observed global warming for the past decade or so has shown how exaggerated NASA’s and most other computer predictions of human-caused warming have been—and how little correlation warming has with concentrations of atmospheric carbon dioxide. As many scientists have pointed out, variations in global temperature correlate much better with solar activity and with complicated cycles of the oceans and atmosphere. There isn’t the slightest evidence that more carbon dioxide has caused more extreme weather,”

There are thousands of immensely sceptical - naturally - scientists saying the same bloody things, but no-one ever pays heed, particularly the BBC, because it interferes with the national religion, and defies corporate and political interests.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheCitizenAct
x

Why did your incestuous marriage thread get deleted?
Original post by Lady Comstock
Why did your incestuous marriage thread get deleted?

Official reason: 'not constructive.'

Actual reason: It's not 'progressive', and I started it.
Original post by MatureStudent36
You're like a middle class cliche.

So are you!

I was some kind of cliche myself.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So are you!

I was some kind of cliche myself.

Better to be cliched than idiotic.
UK floods, some people act surprised.

Also in the news: Yemen is covered in sand.

1. So? Correlation, not causation. Perception, not reality. There are hundreds of factors governing the earth's temperature, not just CO2.

TBF I never got how a gas with comparatively mediocre insulating qualities that's a trace in our atmosphere was suddenly public enemy number one because humans were adding a trace percentage to that.

I would have enquired further but people get sorta verbally abusive if you ask that sort of question, so I shrugged and got on with my life.

I suppose the only upside is cleaning up energy (particulates and pollution of which actually is a heavy influence behind a lot of deaths), though I never got how we've pretty much always known that the global or local climate changes over time (sometimes relatively short periods), and suddenly that's bad.

But again, the abuse isn't worth the asking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
UK floods, some people act surprised.

Also in the news: Yemen is covered in sand.

TBF I never got how a gas with comparatively mediocre insulating qualities that's a trace in our atmosphere was suddenly public enemy number one because humans were adding a trace percentage to that.

I would have enquired further but people get sorta verbally abusive if you ask that sort of question, so I shrugged and got on with my life.

The floods are affecting places not hit by flooding once in the previous century - several times in the last year!

What's happening is clearly not some random freak of nature. We are seeing intensifying storms reaching the UK and dumping unprecedented amounts of rain in very short intervals.

This is not business as usual. The business as usual is that climate change deniers are still locked up in their increasingly marginal, bizarre world of fantasy.
The floods are affecting places not hit by flooding once in the previous century - several times in the last year!

What's happening is clearly not some random freak of nature. We are seeing intensifying storms reaching the UK and dumping unprecedented amounts of rain in very short intervals.

This is not business as usual. The business as usual is that climate change deniers are still locked up in their increasingly marginal, bizarre world of fantasy.

Again, as above, very weak correlation, not causation.

It's about as valid as the UKIP candidate blaming the weather on gay marriage.
Original post by Cpt. Josh
It looks like we're being invaded by the mountains.

Some of them LibDem ones. :lol:

The waters are pretty mountainous right now.

Incorrect there. All places hit by floods are in areas that have flooded in the past.

You've made a huge jump to say that flooding has been caused by global warming or whatever it's called these days.

Why have you discounted lack of dredging?

Why have you discounted reduction in natural drainage?

Why have you discounted the impact or other flood defences pushing problems further downstream?

There's a whole host of reasons for flooding.
Oh my, we have flooding after a lot of rain, this is clearly a new phenomenon and has never ever happened before, let alone happened during an El Ninõ event...

And to take the answer in the title literally rather than as intended, how distant are we talking given that in a few thousand years time there will likely be cooling concerns that will likely be blamed on humanity because otherwise people wouldn't feel important enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Na climate change is natural
Answers on a damp postcard.

Cameron last 5 years: "Global warming? whatever"
Cameron today: "These floods are a cause of global warming (i.e. nothing to do with government investment)"
Original post by Jammy Duel
Oh my, we have flooding after a lot of rain, this is clearly a new phenomenon and has never ever happened before, let alone happened during an El Ninõ event...

And to take the answer in the title literally rather than as intended, how distant are we talking given that in a few thousand years time there will likely be cooling concerns that will likely be blamed on humanity because otherwise people wouldn't feel important enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At what point do you stop disregarding any evidence which the scientific community overwhelmingly support? Yes, climate can be changed by natural occurrences, but to ignore the idea humans can be a cause too is pretty naive and a symptom of your human superior complex.

You will support say the climatic changes brought about by the natural release of gases from volcanoes but when humans release the very same gases you consider it stupid? It is very possible both natural and human factors come into play, does not excuse our actions.

Scientists believe our actions can enhance the El Nino effect by affecting the air pressure. Is that not something we could prevent?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gears265
At what point do you stop disregarding any evidence which the scientific community overwhelmingly support? Yes, climate can be changed by natural occurrences, but to ignore the idea humans can be a cause too is pretty naive and a symptom of your human superior complex.

You will support say the climatic changes brought about by the natural release of gases from volcanoes but when humans release the very same gases you consider it stupid? It is very possible both natural and human factors come into play, does not excuse our actions.

Scientists believe our actions can enhance the El Nino effect by affecting the air pressure. Is that not something we could prevent?

Are we here talking about all scientists or just the climate scientists, using the latter weakens the claim of a massive consensus? Or the climate scientists saying there is no effect on extreme weather except heat waves? That's not just a few on the fringe, that's the official un line. How about the ones analysing the satellite data showing damn 0 temperature rises this century? Satellites are those things capable of looking at the whole planet and not being so easy to manipulate data in blind spots for on the basis of there not being the blind spots. And are we talking about the ones who claim el nino is getting worse because it fits their models and theories nicely, or are we talking about the ones saying there is insufficient evidence?

So how are we going to feasibly put billions of tons of crap into the stratosphere and keep quantities up for this cooling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fun thing about an interglacial in an ice age is waiting for the cold spell to return, and for the ice to advance back over most of the UK.

Maybe the Brits who bought houses in Spain were on to something....
Answers on a damp postcard.

So floods happening proves global warming is a present problem? Are floods a new thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
More so something to worry about in the near future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending