The Student Room Group

Physics... with philosophy?

HI EVERYONE
I am a physics A2 student who will probably go to a Russel group uni (Manchester or Nottingham). I applied for courses like Physics with theoretical physics and astrophysics but am strongly considering switching it to physics with philosophy, and I want advice on this.
* SKIP FOLLOWING PARA IF TL;DR

The reason I want to do philosophy is the same reason that got me into physics- I want to find out more about the world and reach a deeper understanding. My problem with physics is that learning it at a very high level no longer brings new perspective, and I'm worried because of the industrialization of the world the degree mostly concentrates on practical side of physics rather than what is interesting. I also found physics doesn't answer many questions philosophy does, and is somewhat limited by evidence.
I love philosophy as to my knowledge it still bases around logical arguments yet discusses different topic.
I should note, I did get a D in GCSE physics and doing VERY well in it now (because I enjoy it and stuff), so it might be possible that I just like jumping between subjects (as I was a maths bangout in GCSE). I Just don't want to regret switching to philosophy with physics
Long story short, I am not too bothered about a well paid job after uni, I only want to further my knowledge. I would really appreciate advice on:
1. Are physics and philosophies degrees actually satisfying and make sense? How much physics do you miss out?
2. How are Nottingham and Manchester for philosophy?
3. Is it just better to do 2 separate degrees or learn about philosophy on the outside?
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANYTHING REALLY. Feel free to ask more about stuff if i missed anything.
I can't answer questions 1 or 2 as I've never studied either subject. Have you checked the dept websites to see what philosophy modules are available? It is a big subject and different universities often offer different modules according to their lecturers' interests. It is very common to combine two subjects that you like, and physics and philosophy isn't an odd combination at all - in fact it makes a lot of sense, both subjects try to unlock the mysteries of the universe in their own way. Heck, even Oxford has a physics and philosophy degree so you know it's a respected combination. It is not a good idea to plan to do two degrees; you probably won't be able to get a student loan for a second degree anyway.

The real question is, if you want to switch, can you? You should contact the admissions tutors at the universities you've applied to and ask right away.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin

The real question is, if you want to switch, can you? You should contact the admissions tutors at the universities you've applied to and ask right away.

yes, multiple unis told me its easy to switch within first few weeks and even YEAR so thats great :smile: CHEERS!
Reply 3
Original post by JimJimJimJimJim
HI EVERYONE
I am a physics A2 student who will probably go to a Russel group uni (Manchester or Nottingham). I applied for courses like Physics with theoretical physics and astrophysics but am strongly considering switching it to physics with philosophy, and I want advice on this.
* SKIP FOLLOWING PARA IF TL;DR

The reason I want to do philosophy is the same reason that got me into physics- I want to find out more about the world and reach a deeper understanding. My problem with physics is that learning it at a very high level no longer brings new perspective, and I'm worried because of the industrialization of the world the degree mostly concentrates on practical side of physics rather than what is interesting. I also found physics doesn't answer many questions philosophy does, and is somewhat limited by evidence.
I love philosophy as to my knowledge it still bases around logical arguments yet discusses different topic.
I should note, I did get a D in GCSE physics and doing VERY well in it now (because I enjoy it and stuff), so it might be possible that I just like jumping between subjects (as I was a maths bangout in GCSE). I Just don't want to regret switching to philosophy with physics
Long story short, I am not too bothered about a well paid job after uni, I only want to further my knowledge. I would really appreciate advice on:
1. Are physics and philosophies degrees actually satisfying and make sense? How much physics do you miss out?
2. How are Nottingham and Manchester for philosophy?
3. Is it just better to do 2 separate degrees or learn about philosophy on the outside?
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANYTHING REALLY. Feel free to ask more about stuff if i missed anything.

hey there could you help me out, I see that you are interested in physics and philosophy so am I but i have no idea in how to get there as in..... I am currently pursuing masters in physics in New Delhi India and have no information as to how to get into any universities in UK.
Reply 4
Original post by Gears_001
hey there could you help me out, I see that you are interested in physics and philosophy so am I but i have no idea in how to get there as in..... I am currently pursuing masters in physics in New Delhi India and have no information as to how to get into any universities in UK.

Go to any UK university website, click on the course you're interested in; then click on emtry requirements and go on the section which says "international qualification; then click on India and tou should see what they require from you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending