The Student Room Group

Undecided for A levels

I'm in year 11 and for the past couple of years I've been fairly sure that I want to try to study Computer Science at Oxford (hopefully). With this in mind, I have been planning to take Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics A levels.

However, there are still other courses like PPE or International relations which are interesting to me. While I probably would prefer to do CS (or maybe CS as a joint honor with Philosophy at Oxford) I don't want to give myself a weak application for other courses if I do change my mind. Considering I'm predicted 8s/9s (but I want all 9s), I'm not too worried about struggling with any A levels more than others.

I would love to study Philosophy A level, but no Sixth forms near me offer it- my school's sixth form only offers Philosophy and Ethics. Would I be putting myself at a disadvantage chosing this for A level instead of Physics for a CS application? Would doing no essay based subjects affect my application for CS Philosophy joint honour? And if I was to choose Physics would I have a very weak application for PPE? If I applied to a course like that, would it be possible to get in based on my GCSEs, the entrance exam, and possibly examples of written work?

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending