The Student Room Group

computer science at uni

hi, I'm currently picking A-level options and have chosen math, further math, physics. I need to pick one more but don't know any other subjects that go well with computer science. my school does not offer computer science. are there any other subjects which would work well with my chosen ones?
You could probably get into uni for comp sci with just those three, if you really want to do a fourth then I suggest you do something you would enjoy.

Subjects which pair well with your chosen three would be Economics or Chemistry
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chrono147
hi, I'm currently picking A-level options and have chosen math, further math, physics. I need to pick one more but don't know any other subjects that go well with computer science. my school does not offer computer science. are there any other subjects which would work well with my chosen ones?

hi i take maths fm and physics - if your skl lets you i would say just take three, but mine didnt let us do that so if thats also the case for you i would recommend either an easier subject/one you are only taking out of enjoyment since you already have 3 related to your course. top unis only really want you to have 2 anyways

but i would agree that chem or econ or you could even go for rs/philosophy as some unis offer cs and philosophy as a course eg at oxford and also business.

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Which are your strongest subjects? Often its better to go for something you can get a high grade in/ the school teaches well than trying to overthink.
Reply 4
Original post by m11m
hi i take maths fm and physics - if your skl lets you i would say just take three, but mine didnt let us do that so if thats also the case for you i would recommend either an easier subject/one you are only taking out of enjoyment since you already have 3 related to your course. top unis only really want you to have 2 anyways

but i would agree that chem or econ or you could even go for rs/philosophy as some unis offer cs and philosophy as a course eg at oxford and also business.

hope this helps :smile:

Thanks, this helps a lot.

My school offers psychology and I'm thinking of taking it as it branches from philosophy. Sadly my school doesn't do philosophy.
Reply 5
Original post by PixiePresents
You could probably get into uni for comp sci with just those three, if you really want to do a fourth then I suggest you do something you would enjoy.

Subjects which pair well with your chosen three would be Economics or Chemistry

Thanks, for the help this really has made it more clear for w now.

I'll most likely pick between Economics and Psychology.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Which are your strongest subjects? Often its better to go for something you can get a high grade in/ the school teaches well than trying to overthink.

my strongest subjects are geography and DT, excluding core subjects.

i have most fun in math and DT, although im not sure if i can take DT according to some unis
Reply 7
Original post by Chrono147
my strongest subjects are geography and DT, excluding core subjects.

i have most fun in math and DT, although im not sure if i can take DT according to some unis

I don't think any universities would have issues with DT as a third subject let alone a fourth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending