The Student Room Group

Opinions on MsC/MA in Marketing/Advertising

Hi everyone,
I'm an Italian student finishing my BA in Cultural Heritage...and I am evaluating the possibility to change drastically my academic career with a Msc/MA in advertising/Marketing/Marketing communications... I'm still a bit confused, so I'd like to have your opinion on which universities offer the best Postgrads in these fields. I know it would be a total change from my BA, but I also know that in the UK it's easier to take a master's degree in sth unrelated to your BA.
I'm planning on starting it next year, as I know that some universities offer a Jan/feb intake.
Any advice is welcome :smile:
Original post by Mirii
Hi everyone,
I'm an Italian student finishing my BA in Cultural Heritage...and I am evaluating the possibility to change drastically my academic career with a Msc/MA in advertising/Marketing/Marketing communications... I'm still a bit confused, so I'd like to have your opinion on which universities offer the best Postgrads in these fields. I know it would be a total change from my BA, but I also know that in the UK it's easier to take a master's degree in sth unrelated to your BA.
I'm planning on starting it next year, as I know that some universities offer a Jan/feb intake.
Any advice is welcome :smile:

Hi Mirii,

I currently work in Marketing (digital marketing for a large brand) so I'll try and give you anecdotal advice.

An MA in Marketing or Communications although good is not hugely important to 'break' into the field, per se. The industry has undergone a significant shift recently, with more technically able people taking on roles that were traditionally held by marketers. Digital marketing especially is data-driven, with analyses of competitors and lots of data being a large part of the job. In-house marketers tend to focus more on strategy and analysis, with the bulk of the 'grunt' work, e.g. banners, ads and creative being outsourced to agencies.

This being said, it's important for you to understand that an MA in Marketing although relevant might not be the best way to change career paths unless you know exactly what you want to do. More technical masters in Management or Strategy will actually help your CV get noticed far more. You need to find a good business school that has a great reputation. Professional qualifications, such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing, will add value as well.

Here are the Masters I would highly recommend you look into:
1) LSE: http://www.lse.ac.uk/management/programmes/msc/management-organisations-and-governance/home.aspx - I know a few people who graduated from this Masters and have said fantastic things about its reputation. LSE's brand will help a lot with recruitment. It's a misconception that they only place well in Finance and Law;

2) Bath: http://www.bath.ac.uk/management/msc_management/ - A very well regarded business school with a strong alumni network. Just do a linkedin search of recent graduates and you'll see that many have placed very well;

3) Cambridge: https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/professional-practice/mphil-management/programme-overview/ - I don't know too much about this programme but Judge Business School has really climbed the ranks recently, and is competing well with the likes of LBS and INSEAD. The Cambridge name alone is very good;

4) London Business School: https://www.london.edu/education-and-development/masters-courses/masters-in-management - LBS, along with INSEAD, are by the far the best business schools in Europe and are as well regarded as Harvard in terms of research. The alumni network is massive, and recruiters will usually come on campus on a weekly basis to present their companies. Highly recommend looking into them, if you can afford it.

I'll just make another mention for an MBA. I know many people on TSR do not like the idea of an MBA but I personally support them. They may not be relevant to you, seeing as you're just starting off in your career but it's something to look into.
Reply 2
Original post by Aceadria

Thank you Aceadria, all the programs you suggest seem particularly valid, but I fear I won't be able to afford an MBA.
I was evaluating some masters in marketing and advertising as my university offers a 2 years MA in this field where I could be eligible even with a BA in humanistic studies. Said that, I think studying a similar program in the UK instead of studying it in Italy would give me an edge over those who chose this path, if I decided to come back eventually.
Anyway, I do appreciate your suggestion. I'll try applying to different masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending