The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Most places require A and A* as well as an A level in maths, again at either A or A*
It'll highly affect your chances; I suggest you retake.
Reply 3
Original post by Gilezzz
I really want to study medicine at uni but i got a grade C in Maths GCSE. Will that effect my chances of getting into a good uni to study medicine? Please i need help. Thanks for all the help in advance.

The majority require at least a B, but according to our GCSE requirements page (which however was only last updated in Aug 2013) some still accept a C: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

Those according to the page that accept it are Aberdeen, Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, Leicester, Plymouth and Sheffield - but I would check the university websites before applying to confirm.

Original post by Flozzie543
Yes. Most places require A and A* as well as an A level in maths, again at either A or A*

No.
Original post by Beska
The majority require at least a B, but according to our GCSE requirements page (which however was only last updated in Aug 2013) some still accept a C: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

Those according to the page that accept it are Aberdeen, Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, Leicester, Plymouth and Sheffield - but I would check the university websites before applying to confirm.

No.

Yes.
My brother went into medicine and all the places he applied to required those grades in maths.
So yes.
Reply 5
Yes.
My brother went into medicine and all the places he applied to required those grades in maths.
So yes.

I can absolutely guarantee you that an A*/A at GCSE Maths and an A*/A at A-Level Maths is not required to study medicine. You couldn't possibly be more wrong. Maths is not required at all at A-Level, and at GCSE generally a B grade is sufficient for the majority of places.

e: Why has it become a thing recently for people to flood into this forum to tell people that they need a maths A-Level!?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Beska
I can absolutely guarantee you that an A*/A at GCSE Maths and an A*/A at A-Level Maths is not required to study medicine. You couldn't possibly be more wrong. Maths is not required at all at A-Level, and at GCSE generally a B grade is sufficient for the majority of places.

So you need a B for medicine but an A to get into business school??

Really depends on where you're studying I guess.

A lot of psychology courses require A's.
Reply 7
So you need a B for medicine but an A to get into business school??

Really depends on where you're studying I guess.

A lot of psychology courses require A's.

Well, I'm not sure why there would be some kind of link between studying business (or psychology) and studying medicine and I have absolutely no idea what the requirements are for a business degree - but for medicine you don't need an A. Some places may require it, but generally you're not cut-off from medicine if you have at least a B.
Original post by Beska

I don't get why people bother taking the "we require at least B/C" on entry pages seriously. Especially with really good Uni's. I highly doubt that I'll find a single medicine applicant who didn't get an A at GCSE Maths at a bare minimum. Despite it not being compulsory at AS, the vast majority of applicants will have a very high proportion of GCSE and A level grades being A or above. Maths will almost always be one of them.

They probably wouldn't reject you purely because of one C grade in maths. But if you're only getting a C in maths at GCSE then it's likely that you'd find whatever AS subjects you're doing to be very difficult.

At GCSE, maths didn't even test intelligence. Just the ability to pay attention in class and do homework at the last minute.

OP I'd strongly advise you to retake it. You don't require it at AS (that being said, they don't not like it either. it's a nice subject to have when applying to any course) but GCSE maths is easy and you only getting a C in it will look bad
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
What if i get A's at A-level would that not make up for a C at gcse maths?
Reply 10
Original post by Lawliettt
I highly doubt that I'll find a single medicine applicant who didn't get an A at GCSE Maths at a bare minimum.

What about me? :h:
Original post by Lawliettt
I don't get why people bother taking the "we require at least B/C" on entry pages seriously. Especially with really good Uni's. I highly doubt that I'll find a single medicine applicant who didn't get an A at GCSE Maths at a bare minimum. Despite it not being compulsory at AS, the vast majority of applicants will have a very high proportion of GCSE and A level grades being A or above. Maths will almost always be one of them.They probably wouldn't reject you purely because of one C grade in maths. But if you're only getting a C in maths at GCSE then it's likely that you'd find whatever AS subjects you're doing to be very difficult.At GCSE, maths didn't even test intelligence. Just the ability to pay attention in class and do homework at the last minute.OP I'd strongly advise you to retake it. You don't require it at AS (that being said, they don't not like it either. it's a nice subject to have when applying to any course) but GCSE maths is easy and you only getting a C in it will look bad

When you're finished on your shoebox I think it's probably better for you to stop speculating so wildly and giving such opinionated advice. The reason why people take "we require at least a B/C" on entry places so seriously is because they are the minimum requirements. Other than medical schools that make active use of GCSE grades in their selection criteria, minimum requirements are just that - minimum requirements. I say this all the time, but medical schools no longer consist of an admissions officer sitting down with the applications, weighing them up, before deciding who to give an offer to. The minimum requirements are sieved through the use of probably a computer and then passed onto the next step - be it UKCAT, personal statement review, whatever (other than those medical schools that make active use of GCSE grades for selection).

There is also no such thing as "really good Uni's" for medicine - all are broadly similar, with differences being down to course structure and admissions criteria.

I don't disagree that the vast majority of applicants will have a high proportion of GCSE and A-Level grades at A or above, but unless the medical schools are actively selecting using that information it's largely irrelevant.
Original post by Beska
What about me? :h:

When you're finished on your shoebox I think it's probably better for you to stop speculating so wildly and giving such opinionated advice. The reason why people take "we require at least a B/C" on entry places so seriously is because they are the minimum requirements. Other than medical schools that make active use of GCSE grades in their selection criteria, minimum requirements are just that - minimum requirements. I say this all the time, but medical schools no longer consist of an admissions officer sitting down with the applications, weighing them up, before deciding who to give an offer to. The minimum requirements are sieved through the use of probably a computer and then passed onto the next step - be it UKCAT, personal statement review, whatever (other than those medical schools that make active use of GCSE grades for selection).

There is also no such thing as "really good Uni's" for medicine - all are broadly similar, with differences being down to course structure and admissions criteria.

I don't disagree that the vast majority of applicants will have a high proportion of GCSE and A-Level grades at A or above, but unless the medical schools are actively selecting using that information it's largely irrelevant.

It's not speculation or opinion. They're minimum for a reason. Every course has minimum grades. But this is medicine. Find me an applicant who qualified for medicine achieving the bare minimum. Throughout all your waffle you haven't even made an actual point. Are you advising OP to go on and apply to medicine with a C in GCSE Maths? Something that can easily be retaken without a year of preparation? It's not like this is History or English where there's coursework and reading required.

I've already seen people being rejected without an interview despite getting 4A's at AS And a high proportion of A/A*'s in the GCSE. The harsh truth is you're not getting an offer with a C at GCSE in Maths, English or any of the sciences. Sorry. Every medical school in the UK will be massively over applied for and as a result, each part of your application will be looked at carefully. Kings have a medicine course that has BBB entry requirements at AS. I'd still never advise anyone who 'only' gets BBB to apply there. And rightly so. In the context of very competitive Uni's or courses, minimum requirements mean very little.

Lastly, stop sounding so pretentious. You know what I meant. There's a big difference between studying at Oxford and studying at Liverpool. Some Uni's are obviously better than others. Despite all of them having top facilities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes.
So yes.

So because the 4 medical schools he applied to had those requirements it means all universities do?

No
Original post by preetg97
So because the 4 medical schools he applied to had those requirements it means all universities do?

No

This savage :O
Original post by Gilezzz
I really want to study medicine at uni but i got a grade C in Maths GCSE. Will that effect my chances of getting into a good uni to study medicine? Please i need help. Thanks for all the help in advance.

I shouldn't see why not. If you have a good A' level in Chemistry and physics A* A or B then I can't see how only having a C in GCSE maths should be a problem because the high mathematical content of A' level Chemistry and Physics are good evidence that you are fully competent with maths :smile:
So fed up of people claiming maths is required at A-level for medicine, they couldn't be more wrong!
Reply 16
Original post by Ambitious1999
I shouldn't see why not. If you have a good A' level in Chemistry and physics A* A or B then I can't see how only having a C in GCSE maths should be a problem because the high mathematical content of A' level Chemistry and Physics are good evidence that you are fully competent with maths :smile:

Yeah its just that i had no teacher for gcse maths and i kinda messed up cause of that. But now i am doing AS Bio,chem,physics and economics.
Original post by Ambitious1999

It doesn't work that way. Medical schools have a surplus of applicants who meet all the requirements (i.e. have all the right grades). They can't afford to make exceptions for people who don't.

If a med school wants a B at maths GCSE and you apply there with a C, you've just wasted one of your choices.
If you cant get a B in gcse maths , how will you get an A in A level maths :/
Original post by Ayaz789
If you cant get a B in gcse maths , how will you get an A in A level maths :/

OP will get a U in Alevel maths because they haven't taken it for AS or A2. That would be because maths is not mandatory at Alevel for any university except one college for Cambridge and their choices of Alevels are perfectly fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending