The Student Room Group

Can I apply for Medicine with ABC predicted

Hi All,
I am in year 13. I was given following predicted grades: A(Maths), B(Bio), C(Chem)
My UCAT score is 725
GCSEs 9(Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, English), 8(5 subjects), 7(2 subjects)

Can I apply for medicine for 2020 entry? or would I be rejected by every Uni due to my predicted ABC ? :-(

I am getting better grades now, but, in year 12 I didn't work hard at all unfortunately.

What's the best option for me as I want to avoid Gap year if possible, although that is an option I am OK with as well.

Thanks

Rohit

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi All,
I am in year 13. I was given following predicted grades: A(Maths), B(Bio), C(Chem)
My UCAT score is 725

Can I apply for medicine for 2020 entry? or would I be rejected by every Uni due to my predicted ABC ? :-(

I am getting better grades now, but, in year 12 I didn't work hard at all unfortunately.

What's the best option for me as I want to avoid Gap year if possible, although that is an option I am OK with as well.

Thanks

Rohit
Reply 2
Original post by rohitbatra
Hi All,
My UCAT score is 725

Thanks

Rohit

Your GCSE's and UCAT are excellent. Can you not persuade your school to increase your predictions as you have changed your work ethic? If not Keele don't look at predicted grades, I'm not aware of any others.
Hi All,
My UCAT score is 725

Thanks

Rohit

Look into it and check the uni’s you’re applying to. What about foundation years? Can you apply to them?
Reply 4
Original post by Laycity
Your GCSE's and UCAT are excellent. Can you not persuade your school to increase your predictions as you have changed your work ethic? If not Keele don't look at predicted grades, I'm not aware of any others.

I was told about Keele not looking at predicted, but, on ucas, for medicine at Keele, it says

A level AAA To include Chemistry or Biology and a second science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Statistics/Further Maths) plus a third academic subject. To exclude General Studies, Critical Thinking and Citizenship. A level Maths/Further Maths/Statistics are not accepted in combination. Any science A-level (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) completed since 2017 must include a pass in the practical endorsement: without this endorsement the qualification will be judged to have been failed, regardless of the headline grade.

At Keele uni page:

AS LEVELS
We are aware of the changes within the A level framework in England and would not expect all applicants to have AS level qualifications stated on their application. If they are stated, we will take these grades into consideration but we will also consider the predicted grades supplied*, qualifications taken at other levels (GCSEs for example), the personal statement and reference. Equally, we shall not discriminate against a candidate who has performed poorly in AS-level examinations if other indicators (GCSE performance, reference, and predicted grades) are satisfactory.

*Please note that this excludes applications to Medicine
For some courses, depending on individual circumstances, there may be some flexibility for students who have studied two AS levels in place of a third A2 subject or for students who are studying 2 A levels and are predicted high grades alongside additional study.

Does this mean, they would not look at predicted grades? It can be a lifesaver (well a gap year saver) for me.
Reply 5
I was told about Keele not looking at predicted, but, on ucas, for medicine at Keele, it says

A level AAA To include Chemistry or Biology and a second science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Statistics/Further Maths) plus a third academic subject. To exclude General Studies, Critical Thinking and Citizenship. A level Maths/Further Maths/Statistics are not accepted in combination. Any science A-level (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) completed since 2017 must include a pass in the practical endorsement: without this endorsement the qualification will be judged to have been failed, regardless of the headline grade.

At Keele uni page:

AS LEVELS
We are aware of the changes within the A level framework in England and would not expect all applicants to have AS level qualifications stated on their application. If they are stated, we will take these grades into consideration but we will also consider the predicted grades supplied*, qualifications taken at other levels (GCSEs for example), the personal statement and reference. Equally, we shall not discriminate against a candidate who has performed poorly in AS-level examinations if other indicators (GCSE performance, reference, and predicted grades) are satisfactory.

*Please note that this excludes applications to Medicine
For some courses, depending on individual circumstances, there may be some flexibility for students who have studied two AS levels in place of a third A2 subject or for students who are studying 2 A levels and are predicted high grades alongside additional study.

Does this mean, they would not look at predicted grades? It can be a lifesaver (well a gap year saver) for me.

From their FAQ's here..

https://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/howtoapply/#faqs

Do you use predicted A level grades when assessing applications?

No. We do not take any account of predicted grades.

It's probably worth a call to admissions to confirm.
Reply 6
Original post by Laycity
From their FAQ's here..

https://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/howtoapply/#faqs

Do you use predicted A level grades when assessing applications?

No. We do not take any account of predicted grades.

It's probably worth a call to admissions to confirm.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I have now contacted admissions team on their email address (Couldn't find a phone number to call).
Reply 7
Fight to get those predictions up before the 15th october and apply. if you get the AAA, you'll really have an amazing chance with those other stats
Reply 8
Thanks, I will try my best.
The C grade for Chemistry is your biggest problem. Its more important than Biology for Medicine.
If you struggle with Chemistry then a 5 year Med degree probably isnt the greatest idea.

If you go to a low-performing school then there may be 'Gateway' courses that would be a more realistic option - these are aimed at applicants likely to get weaker grades simply because of educational disadvantage, and some do not insist on high grade Chemistry. Just make sure you check the eligibility criteria carefully for each one - they will all be different. There are also more straightforward 'Foundation' courses.
Dundee https://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/medicine-gateway
Hull York https://www.hyms.ac.uk/gateway-year
UEA https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mbbs-medicine-with-a-foundation-year
Manchester https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/
Reply 10
Original post by returnmigrant
The C grade for Chemistry is your biggest problem. Its more important than Biology for Medicine.
If you struggle with Chemistry then a 5 year Med degree probably isnt the greatest idea.

If you go to a low-performing school then there may be 'Gateway' courses that would be a more realistic option - these are aimed at applicants likely to get weaker grades simply because of educational disadvantage, and some do not insist on high grade Chemistry. Just make sure you check the eligibility criteria carefully for each one - they will all be different. There are also more straightforward 'Foundation' courses.
Dundee https://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/medicine-gateway
Hull York https://www.hyms.ac.uk/gateway-year
UEA https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mbbs-medicine-with-a-foundation-year
Manchester https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/

Thanks, I agree and have been working towards getting better at Chemistry. I didn't really apply myself in year 12. Now, while spending more time studying, and changing my revision technique, I am finding I am getting better at it. Fingers crossed, I might be OK. Otherwise, Foundation courses or GAP year is the next option.
with those gcses and UCAT score you can pretty much get interviews at any medical school. Try to get those grades to 3As minimum for prediction. Otherwise apply for foundation courses if eligible but even that will be difficult due to the C in chemistry. if nothing works best option is to smash your A levels and apply next year for 2021 entry
Reply 12
Original post by Ahsan0916
with those gcses and UCAT score you can pretty much get interviews at any medical school. Try to get those grades to 3As minimum for prediction. Otherwise apply for foundation courses if eligible but even that will be difficult due to the C in chemistry. if nothing works best option is to smash your A levels and apply next year for 2021 entry

Almost all med schools have minimum A level requirements of at least AAA predicted and anyone without that woul dbe rejected without further consideration, so OP would NOT be able to get interviews at any med school.
Foundation courses are for people with contextual or WA flags, not just those who do not have the grades for standard entry.

As you say, they really need to get their predictions improved
Reply 13
I decided to apply for Medicine as early entry after valuable feedback on this conversation (Thanks). I would apply to Unis like Keele and Cardiff which don't look at predicted grades.

Addtionally, my grades are improving now in monthly test. However, my school wouldn't up my predicted grades any further.

My school is suggesting I don't apply this year to Medicine at all. As per them, this would put me at a disadvantage if I apply (with better grades in actual A-Levels) to Top Universities. They say some Universities don't like it that I would have applied to Medicine (to some other Universities) this year.

Is this entirely true? Are there Universities who don't like students who have tried to apply for Medicine in Year 13 and then (with better grades) are applying again?

Any help or information would be very useful.

Thanks
Reply 14
I decided to apply for Medicine as early entry after valuable feedback on this conversation (Thanks). I would apply to Unis like Keele and Cardiff which don't look at predicted grades.

Addtionally, my grades are improving now in monthly test. However, my school wouldn't up my predicted grades any further.

My school is suggesting I don't apply this year to Medicine at all. As per them, this would put me at a disadvantage if I apply (with better grades in actual A-Levels) to Top Universities. They say some Universities don't like it that I would have applied to Medicine (to some other Universities) this year.

Is this entirely true? Are there Universities who don't like students who have tried to apply for Medicine in Year 13 and then (with better grades) are applying again?

Any help or information would be very useful.

Thanks

No, this is total rubbish. You can give it a go this year and if you do not get offers, you can reapply with achieved grades next year (though there are some med schools that will not consider a repeat application to them if they reject you post interivew). Nowhere else will know if/when/ where you applied before and even if they did, would feel it showed dedication, perseverance and commitment to reapply
Reply 15
Original post by GANFYD
No, this is total rubbish. You can give it a go this year and if you do not get offers, you can reapply with achieved grades next year (though there are some med schools that will not consider a repeat application to them if they reject you post interivew). Nowhere else will know if/when/ where you applied before and even if they did, would feel it showed dedication, perseverance and commitment to reapply

Thanks, that's the plan now.

Additionally, it seems Oxford Uni doesn't look at predicted grades either. They look at GCSEs, which they said look encouraging. BMAT is needed, but, conditional offer would be for A*AA. I think I can give it as one of the options : of course, I will need to work hard to get those actual grades.

Does this seem like a good idea?
Reply 16
Thanks, that's the plan now.

Additionally, it seems Oxford Uni doesn't look at predicted grades either. They look at GCSEs, which they said look encouraging. BMAT is needed, but, conditional offer would be for A*AA. I think I can give it as one of the options : of course, I will need to work hard to get those actual grades.

Does this seem like a good idea?

No med school is going to tell somebody not to apply if they meet minimum requirements. Just be aware that the number of successful applicants with <10 A*s is very low
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 17
Original post by GANFYD
No med school is going to tell somebody not to apply if they meet minimum requirements. Just be aware that the number of successful applicants with <10 A*s is very low
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Hmm, thanks for the stats, very useful. Interesting to see some applicants with 7 and 8 A* got places as well. Very few, but, still some. I mean, as an option, we can put that as a choice. Even if called for an interview, the experience would be good.
Reply 18
Hmm, thanks for the stats, very useful. Interesting to see some applicants with 7 and 8 A* got places as well. Very few, but, still some. I mean, as an option, we can put that as a choice. Even if called for an interview, the experience would be good.

Yep, though those are liekly to be contextual applicants, as GCSEs are judged against the standard of the school you schieved them in, so is your school underperforming? This is still a good attitude to have!
I would still be inclined to get your parents to put pressure on school to increase your predictions. You have excellent GCSEs, so a proven academic record, and AAA predicted means there are many, many places you can apply
Reply 19
Original post by GANFYD
Yep, though those are liekly to be contextual applicants, as GCSEs are judged against the standard of the school you schieved them in, so is your school underperforming? This is still a good attitude to have!
I would still be inclined to get your parents to put pressure on school to increase your predictions. You have excellent GCSEs, so a proven academic record, and AAA predicted means there are many, many places you can apply

It's a Grammar school and performs very well consistently. Parents have tried their best as well. But, no movement there at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending